C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the C6 Bose Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:41 PM
SouthFlorida
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the C6 Bose Stereo System

I know from several sources that the Bose Stereo System in the C6 is not going to be any better then the C5. Well, the system in my C5 Vette is sounds worse that what my wife's 20K PT Cruiser has(which sounds pretty good). Actually, it is one of the worse sounding systems I have heard and it is in a 50K car. Imagine that.

So I want to replace my C6 Vette Stereo System with a new third party system. Has anyone done this with a C5 or C6 and any suggestions on what the best sounding system is out there that is compatible with the Vette? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm just starting my search. Price is not an issue. I just want a good system.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:45 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Might want to look over in Crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com
Old 10-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Replacing the Bose system is a pretty big undertaking. You will need to run all new speaker wire unless you want to hack the factory wiring harness and even then you don't have the correct wiring for speakers. The Bose system has 4 separate amplifiers, one for each speaker and they are mounted near each speaker respectively.
I have installed show quality systems in cars and have some experience with the older Vetts, 1987 to be specific.
The system hasn't changed much, but it is even more difficult now because other components tap into the system i.e. warning messages in the left door and the Onstar system, if you have it installed.
All of that aside, I haven't looked into the C6 yet, but from what I am hearing, the Bose speakers and cabinets are still pretty small using around a 5 inch speaker. You can install larger aftermarket speakers, but this usually requires the elimination of the Bose speaker enclosure. Keep in mind that Bose relies on the ported enclosure to produce their signature sound and the actual cabinet is just as important as the speaker itself and in fact more important.
If the message warnings and Onstar aren't important to you, then here's what you do.
Purchase a nice aftermarket radio that fits your dash and is cosmetically appealing to you, I would recommend a passive head unit, " one with no power of it's own " Purchase 6 channels worth of amplifier, either 3-2 channel, 1-2 channel and 1-4 channel or 1-6 channel, in the end you will have 6 channels and either one, two or three different components. These can usually be placed in the rear cubby holes and out of site, but some will require ventilation which brings an entirely new avenue to your installation.
Keep the factory Bose cabinets and cut out the openings to fit the largest possible speakers and mount them and seal the edges for a nice fit. This will keep the factory look and the entire system will be out of site, with the exception of the head unit.
You are not going to rely on the smaller speakers for your bass, so you will need to select a box that will fit your cargo area and use the 5th and 6th channel. I used to make custom boxes for the Vett that had 4 8" subs in them and they sounded great. The box will be visible, but can be removed if necessary.
Now there are a lot of other things that go into this, like additional tweeters mounted in air vents, and cross overs etc... but this is the jest of what you can expect. Even though I know how to do all of this, I will not be touching mine......
Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:56 PM
SouthFlorida
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lawman31
Replacing the Bose system is a pretty big undertaking. You will need to run all new speaker wire unless you want to hack the factory wiring harness and even then you don't have the correct wiring for speakers. The Bose system has 4 separate amplifiers, one for each speaker and they are mounted near each speaker respectively.
I have installed show quality systems in cars and have some experience with the older Vetts, 1987 to be specific.
The system hasn't changed much, but it is even more difficult now because other components tap into the system i.e. warning messages in the left door and the Onstar system, if you have it installed.
All of that aside, I haven't looked into the C6 yet, but from what I am hearing, the Bose speakers and cabinets are still pretty small using around a 5 inch speaker. You can install larger aftermarket speakers, but this usually requires the elimination of the Bose speaker enclosure. Keep in mind that Bose relies on the ported enclosure to produce their signature sound and the actual cabinet is just as important as the speaker itself and in fact more important.
If the message warnings and Onstar aren't important to you, then here's what you do.
Purchase a nice aftermarket radio that fits your dash and is cosmetically appealing to you, I would recommend a passive head unit, " one with no power of it's own " Purchase 6 channels worth of amplifier, either 3-2 channel, 1-2 channel and 1-4 channel or 1-6 channel, in the end you will have 6 channels and either one, two or three different components. These can usually be placed in the rear cubby holes and out of site, but some will require ventilation which brings an entirely new avenue to your installation.
Keep the factory Bose cabinets and cut out the openings to fit the largest possible speakers and mount them and seal the edges for a nice fit. This will keep the factory look and the entire system will be out of site, with the exception of the head unit.
You are not going to rely on the smaller speakers for your bass, so you will need to select a box that will fit your cargo area and use the 5th and 6th channel. I used to make custom boxes for the Vett that had 4 8" subs in them and they sounded great. The box will be visible, but can be removed if necessary.
Now there are a lot of other things that go into this, like additional tweeters mounted in air vents, and cross overs etc... but this is the jest of what you can expect. Even though I know how to do all of this, I will not be touching mine......
Let me know if you have any questions.
You definately know you stuff. Before I start messing with my brand new C6 Stereo System, I'm going to check around and see if any company has made a third party system for the C6 Vette. Maybe not. But knowing that a system has already been installed and tested in the Vette would make it worth the risk for me. But better yet, maybe the solution to the Bose System is not replacing the system, but something else? With my C5, the sound was good when I blasted the volume but not on lower or mid volume. So maybe it was just a matter of a power boost, but then, I don't want to blow the speakers either. Or maybe Bose has a way to build on the existing system making the existing system better by upgrading? But it would have to be a major upgrade to trust Bose. The 1SB is suppose to have a better system then the 1SA(which I have), but if GM is going to be cheap on the sound system in the 1SA, I can't imagine them being much better in the 1SB so you won't see me buying the 1SB System after market even if I could. Actually, all the people I have spoke with that complains about the C6 Stereo System, are 1SB owners. I don't know of anyone that owns a 1SA yet. I hoping there is a way of fixing this sound problem without re-inventing the wheel and it being a major do it yourself project.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the new bose and it is barely better than the C5's. As for speaker size and changing which i did on my C5 and will do soon on my C6. The C5 had 8" and 3.5" in the front doors with amp attached, the rear was coax 3.5" i think very crappy. The new car now has 10" and 3.5" in the doors, a center channel maybe 3.5" and rear 3.5" but not posative. about size in center and rear. Changing is more difficult now with the ECM being in control of the head unit.(supposedly) Replacing can be troublesome. I think you can but would need some sort of Class 2 data cable for a wire harness. I would really suggest waiting till more people get theirs done and then go. Don;t be a beta tester. I already saw that 1 guy had to buy $1,500 worth of things just for compatability.

I have had several corvettes and used to be in IASCA competitions many years ago and can tell you the components mention from Lawman31 will work great 6 channel is the way to go! Just be careful! It may be possible that the ECM does not work with the head unit and will be as easy as my C5 was but i am hearing that it no longer uses the remote via accessories that it is thru ecm.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:37 AM
FASTRNU
Instructor

If the Bose is similar in setup to the one in the C5, you can improve the stock system without a complete replacement. My 2002 coupe had the bose single disc CD with the stock 12 disc changer. I installed a 10" JL sub (dual voice coil) with Alpine 150 watt mono subwoofer amp, added a set of tweeters to the a pillars, replaced the rear speakers with Infinity adjustable coaxials, and the car jammed. Total cost was about $700 and my labor.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:54 AM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

I kept the Bose in my 02 but in the middle storage unit in the back I had moulded a fiberglass box to fit recessed in it a 12" PV gold sub with a 300watt amp. Fit and finish was great. Best looking unit I have ever seen. My audio guy charged 500.00 for the install. It cranked. I think I will just put a 12" Bazooka tube in my C6.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the C6 Bose Stereo System

Quick Reply: Replacing the C6 Bose Stereo System