C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM going in wrong direction on width?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default GM going in wrong direction on width?

The longer wheelbase of the C6 is good, but looking at the dimensions of these cars, should GM have made the C6 wider?

http://c5.techbottle.com/carspecs.xls

When CCW set-ups C5 wheels for running a road course, they extend the hub to make the wheels farther apart. The C5R is much wider than the C5. Wouldn't the C6 be better wider?
Old 10-09-2004, 12:19 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

It's 1 inch narrower isn't it?
Edit: I wonder if some how the 1" gain in wheelbase length works hand-in-hand with the width loss??
Old 10-09-2004, 12:22 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Or are we talking about track actually?
Old 10-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by lager99
It's 1 inch narrower isn't it?
Exactly, but other cars...Viper, Ferrari, Lambroghini, C5R are all wider. My car for the track is wider than a stock C5.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the width of the wheelbase?
Old 10-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

A lower center of gravity would be a good alternative to a wider track, would it not? What's C6's center of gravity compared to C5?

Z06 will probably be wider.

And anyway, the difference from C5 to C6 is hardly significant enough to be talking about "going the wrong direction." They just didn't grow the car this time. Not surprising since it's a design refinement, not a clean-sheet design. It's shorter, but that's really just a styling choice.

.Jinx
Old 10-09-2004, 12:44 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
What is the width of the wheelbase?
C5 track, in. Fr 62.1 Rr 62.2
C6 track, in. Fr 62.1 Rr 60.7
Old 10-09-2004, 01:36 PM
don527
Drifting

if the C5R is wider than the C5 then I would imagine the same will go for the C6 in that the C6R will be wider... fullout race bodys are hard to compare against street cars.

As for C6s being better wider for tracking... i think it comes down to the overall package and considering they go around the track a few clicks slower than a Z06 and pull off .96g they have a platform that betters the C5 coupe while being an inch narrower and taller. impressed.

My gripes are more for aesthetics... I do like the car is 5 inches shorter and wheelbase is longer. But my gripe is I wish that it was lower and wider (as wide as the C5).

I don't know why they make these decisions try to 'europeanize' by narrowing and shortening and raising the height on the vette to try to apeal to the overseas market. The C5 sold 30,000 units a year at 50K a piece and the majority were US. How many do they wanna sell, 60,000 Vettes a year?

I would think they should remember the US buyers first and cater to our likings. This is an AMERICAN CAR and should take up the lane on an american road or even on the autobahn like an american car should. Build it (with an American flare) and they will come (buy)... at least the europeans with good taste.

Again, I do like that it is shorter... but wish it was lower and wider. The C6 Z06 will probably take care of the wider part if it does come with flared out wheel wells and 335s... Now that's what I'm talking about

Originally Posted by Sully C5
The longer wheelbase of the C6 is good, but looking at the dimensions of these cars, should GM have made the C6 wider?

When CCW set-ups C5 wheels for running a road course, they extend the hub to make the wheels farther apart. The C5R is much wider than the C5. Wouldn't the C6 be better wider?

Last edited by don527; 10-09-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by don527
As for C6s being better wider for tracking... i think it comes down to the overall package and considering they go around the track a few clicks slower than a Z06 and pull off .96g they have a platform that betters the C5 coupe while being an inch narrower and taller. impressed.
There are several reasons for the improved time over the C5, but wouldn't it do even better if it is wider?

Originally Posted by don527
My gripes are more for aesthetics... I do like the car is 5 inches shorter and wheelbase is longer. But my gripe is I wish that it was lower and wider (as wide as the C5).
The C6 is such an improvemnt in performance, IMHO wider & lower would have even been better for both looks & handling. Since Ferrari & Lambroghini are decent European cars (they both have shorter wheelbase & are wider than a C6) a lower & wider C6 should have European appeal. But since GM engineers are much smarter than I am, they must have a reason.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die

C5 track, in. Fr 62.1 Rr 62.2
C6 track, in. Fr 62.1 Rr 60.7

What I have says the C6 is Fr 62.1 Rr 62.1. So the C6 hasn't lost any width were it counts.

Last edited by Corvette Junkie; 10-09-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:36 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sully C5

No Way
Old 10-09-2004, 02:36 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

What I have says the C6 is Fr 62.1 Rr 62.1. So the C6 hasn't lost any width were it counts.

It would be good to get it clarified...I pulled it off the NCM site but it could be a typo too. Anyone else have the info? NCM
Old 10-09-2004, 02:44 PM
don527
Drifting

here, let me not clarify this for you

Road and track says front track is 62.1 in. and rear is 60.7 in.

Looking at that I'm thinking... does that mean that in cars, the front is usually wider in track than the rear? I never knew.

But in the same mag, the width of the entire car is 72.6 in. where I believe that is the "one inch" they talk about when comparing the C5 (which is listed in Sully's excel sheet).... in the dimension of the car and not the track of the wheels.

Has this thread gotten all messed up

So it seems they really havent changed the width much in terms of track which may end the performance argument of this thread.

But my opinion still is, for aesthetic reasons, I wish it was still in overall dimensions as wide as the C5 and as low.

But seeing the C6 in person, I have to say I like it.

Last edited by don527; 10-09-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:10 PM
don527
Drifting

here, let me not clarify this for you

Road and track says front track is 62.1 in. and rear is 60.7 in.

Looking at that I'm thinking... does that mean that in cars, the front is usually wider in track than the rear? I never knew.

But in the same mag, the width of the entire car is 72.6 in. where I believe that is the "one inch" they talk about when comparing the C5 (which is listed in Sully's excel sheet).... in the dimension of the car and not the track of the wheels.

Has this thread gotten all messed up

So it seems they really havent changed the width much in terms of track which may end the performance argument of this thread.

But my opinion still is, for aesthetic reasons, I wish it was still in overall dimensions as wide as the C5 and as low.

But seeing the C6 in person, I have to say I like it.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:18 PM
DudeWheresMyVette
Drifting

Location: NYC / Naples, FL C5 under construction! Arancio Atlas (Lamborghini Metallic Orange) comming soon! :)

Actually, being 5 inches shorter and only 1 inch more narrow, you could argue that to the eye the car looks 4 inches wider? I know not litteraly, but the car should look more stubby now. I always felt the C5 was too long. I'd say a nice wide body kit for the rear would make the car look menacing. A real kit, not Z06 flares.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

I had found the rear track width of:

C5 -- 62.0 / 1574.5
C6 -- 60.7 / 1542

But maybe that is wrong.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:04 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DudeWheresMyVette
Actually, being 5 inches shorter and only 1 inch more narrow, you could argue that to the eye the car looks 4 inches wider? I know not litteraly, but the car should look more stubby now. I always felt the C5 was too long. I'd say a nice wide body kit for the rear would make the car look menacing. A real kit, not Z06 flares.
It took a long time for me to get used to the C5's size, from my previous C4's. I've sold my '98 vert now and am waiting for my C6. When I saw that C6 in person, it righted all the wrongs for me. It is within an inch in length now of a mid year Sting Ray. Right On.

My wife ALWAYS negatively commented on the hide away lights when raised. She and I both love the new HID's.

That C6 is a real sports car.

Get notified of new replies

To GM going in wrong direction on width?

Old 10-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

It would be good to get it clarified...I pulled it off the NCM site but it could be a typo too. Anyone else have the info? NCM

I got this from corvette.com. I think I will believe GM.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:54 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I got this from corvette.com. I think I will believe GM.
So then other than asthetics it's actually the same as the C5.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:19 PM
alleycat
Navigator

C6 rear TREAD is 1542 mm, front tread is 1577. The rear tread is narrow than C5. This was done to align the outside face of wheel with the front tire/wheel. This improves aero drag/top speed and improves fuel economy at ultra high speed cruise. The C6 is 16 mm taller than C5 (doubtful you could detect with out side by side comparo). Approximately half the increase is the shape of the new targa and the other half is a lower wheel center and taller S.L.R. (this is the result of the increased jounce travel and larger tire O.D.) Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: GM going in wrong direction on width?