C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We need good info from plant, but how?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 08:42 AM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 255 Likes on 74 Posts

Default We need good info from plant, but how?

I think there is a good chance my VIN 5041, is on the line which is now shut down. I have tried Kevin, but I guess the plant is closed for awhile. If I am stuck on the line and I have a MN 6 what happens now? Pushed aside for autos, outside to the end of the fix line?? Any thoughts?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:53 AM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

This came off another forum, C6VR.com,
UPDATE 10/6/04 9:39pm EST:
It appears that production WILL resume on Thursday 10/7.
According to the Corvette Assembly Plant Employee Hotline:
PRODUCTION *WILL* RUN ON THURSDAY OCTOBER 7th, ALL EMPLOYEES ARE TO REPORT AT THEIR NORMAL REPORTING TIME.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by kenrobb
This came off another forum, C6VR.com,
UPDATE 10/6/04 9:39pm EST:
It appears that production WILL resume on Thursday 10/7.
According to the Corvette Assembly Plant Employee Hotline:
PRODUCTION *WILL* RUN ON THURSDAY OCTOBER 7th, ALL EMPLOYEES ARE TO REPORT AT THEIR NORMAL REPORTING TIME.
Now that's good news Ken. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by vettedrummer
I think there is a good chance my VIN 5041, is on the line which is now shut down. I have tried Kevin, but I guess the plant is closed for awhile. If I am stuck on the line and I have a MN 6 what happens now? Pushed aside for autos, outside to the end of the fix line?? Any thoughts?
I doubt cars could be pulled from the line. My guess, and this is a guess, is that those manuals already on the line will be produced and put aside until they can be inspected and repaired with parts or new transmissions. Another guess would be that all new cars going online would be automatics, skipping the manuals until the new transmissions arrive.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:08 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

There were two issues reported. The first was a line shutdown. The second was a transmission issue, although no one seems to know what that issue really was. It may have been a small, isolated issue, a supply problem, or anything else. They said the entire line would be closed until the transmission problem was solved, because they couldn't remove all the MN6 cars already on the line. The fact that the line will, hopefully, be back up indicates that the MN6 issue may have already been resolved. I'm keeping my fingers crossed since my 5186 was due to be built today.

Stan
Old 10-07-2004, 09:21 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Until we hear more, all we can do is guess. I think it may be a little too coincidental that the "loud pop" and problem on the line happened at the same time the MN6 issue surfaced. Are they related? This could be something as simple as something on the line breaking that related to the installation of MN6 trannies. For example, what if something on the line related to the MN6 install wasn't working right. Once it broke completely (loud pop), they checked and noticed that before it broke all the way, it had damaged a few MN6 trannies on the line before it? They then had to order another batch of MN6 trannies to replace the busted ones.

Also, the fact (or so it seems) that a new batch of MN6's are already on the way from Bowling Green indicates that it might either be a bad batch or something on the line had been "breaking" the MN6's when installing them rather than there being an actual problem with the MN6 itself. There's no way you can have a new batch of "fixed" MN6's on the way within hours unless it was either a batch problem or something on the line that was damaging or improperly installing the MN6.

Pure conjecture of course, but that's my guess.

Mike
Old 10-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Pure conjecture of course, but that's my guess.

Mike[/QUOTE]

A good, intelligent guess Mike. Could be.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
.....Pure conjecture of course, but that's my guess.

Mike

Now that's a good intelligent, guess Mike. Could be.

This is what should be posted on the Forum. Not the "I told you to wait until next year"

Thanks Mike.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:42 AM
C64ME
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike's guess is a good one. I posted the "Bad News from BG" yesterday after speaking with Gary about my scheduled 10/13 delivery. Two issues:

1) I knew that posting the information would elicit a host of posts from the I told you so crowd, but felt that those, unlike me, who had plane and hotel reservations for their NCM delivery needed to know this info ASAP, so I posted, because that is what I THOUGHT this forum was all about.

2) Gary said that my car #4267 may not be affected by the problem, whatever it is. If Mikes guess is correct and something on the line was causing the problem and failed yesterday, maybe it was something that developed recently. It could also be possible that there was a bad "batch" of trannies that was only recently detected in QC and they are holding all to determine which ones were in that batch.

Gary also said the new trannies that were to arrive on Fri. were to first go into the cars on the line (that was when he thought the line may be shut doen today, but other posts suggest that it will not be). Remaining trannies would go to the vehicles already built. If my vehicle is unaffected by this problem, and my delivery does wind up going forward, I will post this info. I only have a 45-60 min drive to the factory, so changing plans is not that big of a deal.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:58 AM
STBC6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C64ME
Mike's guess is a good one. I posted the "Bad News from BG" yesterday after speaking with Gary about my scheduled 10/13 delivery. Two issues:

1) I knew that posting the information would elicit a host of posts from the I told you so crowd, but felt that those, unlike me, who had plane and hotel reservations for their NCM delivery needed to know this info ASAP, so I posted, because that is what I THOUGHT this forum was all about.

2) Gary said that my car #4267 may not be affected by the problem, whatever it is. If Mikes guess is correct and something on the line was causing the problem and failed yesterday, maybe it was something that developed recently. It could also be possible that there was a bad "batch" of trannies that was only recently detected in QC and they are holding all to determine which ones were in that batch.

Gary also said the new trannies that were to arrive on Fri. were to first go into the cars on the line (that was when he thought the line may be shut doen today, but other posts suggest that it will not be). Remaining trannies would go to the vehicles already built. If my vehicle is unaffected by this problem, and my delivery does wind up going forward, I will post this info. I only have a 45-60 min drive to the factory, so changing plans is not that big of a deal.

Just to shed some light on the VIN range; my VIN 4001 was taken back to the BG plant from Allied's lot yesterday. It was built on 9/27. Looks like they are reviewing a bunch if they are going back that far.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:02 AM
D-Train
Instructor

4748 was completed on 10/04, dealer received invoice and word the vehicle would be shipped within the next few days. I spoke with the dealer this am he said my car is still at Allied I hope it will be taken back to the factory for whatever they want to do to it. I would rather this happen at the factory then at the dealer.

Dan
Old 10-07-2004, 10:16 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by STBC6
Just to shed some light on the VIN range; my VIN 4001 was taken back to the BG plant from Allied's lot yesterday. It was built on 9/27. Looks like they are reviewing a bunch if they are going back that far.
Sounds to me like a "binary search" to figure out which VIN the problem started with so they can possibly recall the proper vehicles. Let's hope it's a small range of only very recently built vehicles and also hope that whatever the problem is, people like us can inspect something if we are unsure or want peace of mind to confirm whether or not we need the "fix"... assuming there is one.

Mike
Old 10-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Chairman
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

For what it is worth, I was told by my dealer (a pretty plugged in guy) that a drive belt broke on the line and that is what shut the line down. It is apparently fixed although the tranny problems is still being worked on.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:16 PM
SSkindog
Racer

I was in the plant yesterday, and I remember looking at the build sheet on one of the cars on the line, and the VIN was in the 5000's. I think 503x, going on memory, a poor memory though

I must have just missed the stoppage of the driveline assembly line then, I was out of there by about 11:00 a.m. I just saw two other very short stoppages due to issues.

I did see a dozen or so Blue cars on the line, and about 3 export cars. No verts on the line, but several sitting in the QC areas

Gary C. told me they had a museum delv scheduled for late next week, for his 1st Blue car.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by vettedrummer
I think there is a good chance my VIN 5041, is on the line which is now shut down. I have tried Kevin, but I guess the plant is closed for awhile.
FYI: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1548464597
Old 10-07-2004, 05:14 PM
C7CorvettePilot
Pro

My number was 4971 and I drove it off of the line yesterday around 10:30, before the line went down. You must be close.

I just hope the tranny problem doesn't postpone my Museum delivery on 10/21.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:33 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

C6VettePilot

Wow, Mine is 4980 (auto-silver) and it was right behind yours!!!

I hope it's in the parking lot now and ready to be shipped...I hope, I hope, I hope
Old 10-07-2004, 08:02 PM
mike1952
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by SSkindog
I was in the plant yesterday, and I remember looking at the build sheet on one of the cars on the line, and the VIN was in the 5000's. I think 503x, going on memory, a poor memory though

I must have just missed the stoppage of the driveline assembly line then, I was out of there by about 11:00 a.m. I just saw two other very short stoppages due to issues.

I did see a dozen or so Blue cars on the line, and about 3 export cars. No verts on the line, but several sitting in the QC areas

Gary C. told me they had a museum delv scheduled for late next week, for his 1st Blue car.
that would be me VIN 4828 if the tranny issue is settled. friday @ 12:00.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:23 PM
jrikoholik
Intermediate

My TPW was 9/13 VIN 1G1YY24U755103245 and my NCM delivery was 10/11. My car got pulled off from what Gary told me when I spoke with him today. I am supposed to call next wednesday to reschedule/see how the "fix" is going.

*edit* Do you think I should call him tomorrow and see if anything has changed due to all this new information?

Last edited by jrikoholik; 10-07-2004 at 09:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To We need good info from plant, but how?

Quick Reply: We need good info from plant, but how?