C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early QC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Joseph123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Early QC Problems

I am wondering how the new owners of C6's are feeling because some of you have some small, annoying QC issues. Is this little stuff what you expected or is not expected.

Some of the QC issues posted on this forum have been:

check engine came on
wavy glass
bad speakers in door
HUD display is crooked
CD/ max tracks that can be played.

These are not fatal, but a little annoying. GM does not need this stuff, to be this is sort of typical GM and why many people have flocked to the foreign cars. Here is a chance for Chevy to show its stuff, but has it stubbed its toe?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Wavy glass can't be fixed. CD tracks has a fix ready.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:09 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At least four of the five you mentioned are from outside venders. And two of those are probably non problems and the cd has a fix.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:11 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph123
I am wondering how the new owners of C6's are feeling because some of you have some small, annoying QC issues. Is this little stuff what you expected or is not expected.

check engine came on
wavy glass
bad speakers in door
HUD display is crooked

These are not fatal, but a little annoying. GM does not need this stuff, to be this is sort of typical GM and why many people have flocked to the foreign cars. Here is a chance for Chevy to show its stuff, but has it stubbed its toe?
Go to the Technical section of the C-6 section there is a member who needs help on the check engine light problem He needs engine codes and he has low mileage can't remember now because I am hearing more of these stories. .one has 200 miles and the other has 10 miles.

Last edited by LS WON; 09-24-2004 at 06:12 PM. Reason: add information
Old 09-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

check engine came on
wavy glass
bad speakers in door
HUD display is crooked

Been given an explanation for no. 2. Haven't yet had a problem with 1, 3, or 4. Haven't tried no. 5 yet.

Do seem to have a rather large space between the base of the outside rear view mirror (driver's side) and the top half. Haven't tried it yet, but I could probably slide a penny in there (horizontally).
Old 09-24-2004, 07:29 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default New problem on my C6

New problem on my C6 and for the forum. My car has just over 1000 miles on it. After filling the tank this afternoon (just the 3rd time), the DIC displayed the following message:

"Check Fuel System!"

and the fuel gage reads "E".

So, back to the dealer next week.

Doesn't this sound like a defective fuel sending unit?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:42 PM
SouthFlorida
Instructor

Originally Posted by cam30era
New problem on my C6 and for the forum. My car has just over 1000 miles on it. After filling the tank this afternoon (just the 3rd time), the DIC displayed the following message:

"Check Fuel System!"

Could be the same C5 problem. I had that problem with my C5 and had to go to the dealership four times because of it. The dealership replaced a different part three times and upgraded the computer program another time. Not sure if they ever knew what caused the problem because at the expense of GM, they replaced every possible part.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:44 PM
cam30era
Pro

Thanks for the info "SouthFlorida". I hope my experience is more positive than yours was.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:22 PM
SEA6
Racer

[QUOTE=Lazerwolfe]Wavy glass can't be fixed.
Yes it can, get a Vert
Old 09-24-2004, 09:32 PM
ZO6Pilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by TedG
At least four of the five you mentioned are from outside venders. And two of those are probably non problems and the cd has a fix.
Sorry, but I didn't follow your point. GM is clearly responsible for the entire package. If you get right down to it, I doubt GM truly builds many of the actual components.

Doc
Old 09-24-2004, 09:56 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

"Check Fuel System!"

I believe the late C5's had the upgraded fuel sender design... here's a thread on a '04 C5 experiencing the same problem

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=911319
Old 09-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Last Mango
Instructor

Whoever badges a vehicle is responsible for the quality of all components.

No vehicle is exempt from some quality concerns, particulary in it's first year. Not Acura, toyota, Mercedes, BMW, ...
Old 09-24-2004, 10:37 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C5Vert
I believe the late C5's had the upgraded fuel sender design... here's a thread on a '04 C5 experiencing the same problem

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=911319
Something all C6 owners will look forward to...
Old 09-25-2004, 04:07 AM
csdoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Last Mango
No vehicle is exempt from some quality concerns, particulary in it's first year. Not Acura, toyota, Mercedes, BMW, ...
That's very true. The complexity of cars has gone up so much that (much like large software systems) it is nearly impossible to build a perfect machine.

What makes a difference is a good waranty and an even better customer service.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:42 AM
cam30era
Pro

Thank you "99C5Vert" for the thread!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:14 AM
VettXPert
Instructor

check engine came on
wavy glass
bad speakers in door
HUD display is crooked

For a first year "new Model" the stuff you mention is NOTHING at all. No toe stubbing here. Dont forget C6 is really a SECOND model year car (XLR) so thats why there are less then normal defects showing up. I also must remind you that MANY over seas makers when they introduce an "ALL NEW" model to the US its usually been out a year or two in there country first, hence it "SEEMS" the cars have less problems. On a whole the stuff you mention as "problems" are "childs play" compared to the P R O B L E M S I had with my 1997 C5.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Joseph123
Instructor

This was not meant to bash the C6

It sure is starting to look like the problems over again when they brought out the C5 in 97, the 97 was very problematic.

Remember, the forum is only a very very small part of Corvette owners, and problems mentioned on this forum, wonder what the others are seeing.

Anyway, want C6, I think I will wait until its second year.

Get notified of new replies

To Early QC Problems

Old 09-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

"Check Fuel System!"

Damn . This problem has been reported by all year C5s. GM upgraded/changed the fuel system mid-year during the 03 model year. Problem was still reported by some 03 and 04 C5 owners. Now this still appears not to have been resolved for the C6. It is teh sux that GM can't get to the bottom of this after so many years . How is the column lock situation. Any C6 owners experience this malady yet?
Old 09-25-2004, 09:47 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Pilot
Sorry, but I didn't follow your point. GM is clearly responsible for the entire package. If you get right down to it, I doubt GM truly builds many of the actual components.

Doc

It matters not which vendor makes a part or which parts/services are contracted out. GM is responsible for the whole package just as much as we have to drive the whole package. These are relatively minor things, but look at the extreme. If I get injured because the brakes fail and I hit a tree, "but the brakes were made in Singapore" isn't going to make me feel any better... about the car... or GM.

Mike
Old 09-25-2004, 09:47 AM
VettXPert
Instructor

Fuel sending unit I agree. I have yet to have a fuel system problem with my 04 but I have not had it long. The 2003s starting in Dec of 2002 are fitted with the C6 tanks and delivery system as well as the 2004 model year. It is indeed disappointing to hear the goofy problem continues. You muat also remember a car is only as good as the sum of its parts and GM is not always wise in choosing its venders for cost only and not quality.

Quick Reply: Early QC Problems