C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY, AN UP-CLOSE LOOK! And...

Old 09-17-2004, 03:12 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINALLY, AN UP-CLOSE LOOK! And...

Wow!
I pull up to the dealer and they've got a black C6 outside, and my 1st impression- all the pics/commercials in the world do not do it justice. Especially the black. It looks awesome. And this is even before I get out of my car, and it's raining! And it still looks incredible. (Yes, they had one of their only two C6's sitting in the rain- heathens!) The other, a DSOM, was in the showroom.
My observations, in case anyone gives a !#@$.
First, I want one. But I'm going to exercise the will power I know I have (c'mon will power, I know you're in there!) and wait to at least get a look at the Z. Then I'll make a final on what to get and procure an '06.
Overall, the car looks great. The paint on both looked ok, some op, but you really had to look. The showroom lighting was not great and it was rainy, so I couldn't get the best look.
Seeing the polished wheels up close confirmed for me that I do NOT want them. I mean no offense to anyone, because I know that's a popular look for many, but it's not my style. To me, they looked like cheap "chromed" plastic. In all fairness though, they needed to be cleaned better.
I love the headlights, but I pretty much knew I would from all the pics.
The front, IMO, looks cool. Yes, there's just a slight grin, but to me, it's that kind of grin you see on a face right before it's about to snarl and growl and bear its teeth and attempt to bite your head off.
I am, to say the least, not crazy about the front plate braket, but you all already knew that, didn't you. Both already had them on. The salesmen I spoke with, who actually seemed fairly knowledgeable on the C6, said they came from the factory like that. Would GM actually mount those at the factory to ship to states with a fp law? I got the impression he was saying that as a result of knowing that people didn't like it and didn't want to say that they put it on. Anyway...it's ugly. And color coded won't help it.
The interior looks wonderful. I've never been picky about interiors as long as they're comfortable and not totally cheap, especially on a car you acquire more for performance reasons than interior luxury. I did point out to the salesman the issue of the "headless pilsbury doughboy" steering wheel, and we both got a good laugh out of that. In all honesty, it doesn't look horrible, but I'd welcome a 3-spoke.
The rear! My god the REAR! I think it looks incredible, not a thing about it I would change. (except a vanity lp on it registered in my name that reads FAH-Q)
Fit and finish looked good. I didn't see any noticable uneven gaps or anything obviously out of sync.
I've always had black or red cars. I was leaning toward mag red, but I was really suprised at how good the black looked in person. The same dealer is supposed to receive a red one any day, but the salesman wasn't sure which red. I hope it's mag red so I can compare to the black. Either one with cashmere and Z51 would be my choice, but I gotta hold out to see the Z. Must!.......hold!.......out!
For those who already own, enjoy! Hopefully I'll be joining the ranks in about a year.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:16 PM
sorka
Melting Slicks

The front LP bracket was not installed at the factory. The dealer either lied or is an idiot.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:18 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Oh, FYI, the dealer was RK Chevrolet in Va Beach, and even though the salesmen I spoke to was nice and not at all pushy, steer clear.
The do not have a good rep and they are asking WAY over MSRP.
None of the local dealers have much allocation-wise, and I'm sure they're banking on some anxious sucker with $ to burn. NOT ME!
Old 09-17-2004, 03:18 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Got a question for you since you have the experience of owning them, as you already know black is a very high maintenance color and shows everything is spares no one no secrets hidden it bares all when dirty or highlights the swirls that go with car ownership and gets real hot in the sun as it absorbs heat. Now with the red did you experience any problems like fading? is the color red good with hiding your touch ups, and swirls, dirt.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:29 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS WON
Got a question for you since you have the experience of owning them, as you already know black is a very high maintenance color and shows everything is spares no one no secrets hidden it bares all when dirty or highlights the swirls that go with car ownership and gets real hot in the sun as it absorbs heat. Now with the red did you experience any problems like fading? is the color red good with hiding your touch ups, and swirls, dirt.
I've owned two red cars, but didn't own either long enough to experience sig fading. Although I know that's a concern with red.
IMO, the red, as with most colors other than black, definitely hid swirl marks and the like much better than black. Also, neither red was a dark red. I would think based on common sense, that a dark red, perhaps the mag red, is going to show swirl marks and minor imperfections more than a lighter color. To me, color is just as important a factor as any in deciding on exactly what I want. I love black and mag red- consequences be damned!
Old 09-17-2004, 03:44 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by greenshirt77
I've owned two red cars, but didn't own either long enough to experience sig fading. Although I know that's a concern with red.
IMO, the red, as with most colors other than black, definitely hid swirl marks and the like much better than black. Also, neither red was a dark red. I would think based on common sense, that a dark red, perhaps the mag red, is going to show swirl marks and minor imperfections more than a lighter color. To me, color is just as important a factor as any in deciding on exactly what I want. I love black and mag red- consequences be damned!
Well it is a difficult decision for me Arctic White vs. Red??
Old 09-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do I have to keep following you to tell you repeatedly? RED.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:07 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hoosier Red

I know some people really like white on a vette, but I don't. That's just personal pref. I've never been crazy about white on anything. I think the C6 looks good in every color, but out of all available, white seems like the least flattering for a car with such awesome lines. On my Mom's Camry, ok. On the C6...
Old 09-17-2004, 04:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
Stalker Alert! Stalker Alert!
Old 09-17-2004, 04:20 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a thing about it I would change. (except a vanity lp on it registered in my name that reads FAH-Q)
I did see this one time, except it was spelled FAA QUE
Old 09-17-2004, 05:32 PM
barek
Instructor

LS... I answered your red questions i the "Looked at a PR tonight..." thread...

b
Old 09-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by barek
LS... I answered your red questions i the "Looked at a PR tonight..." thread...

b
I've been about several things lately, including my choice of suspension for my C6, but some people (who shall go nameless) in this section have been a little overboard about several of their decisions. Please note the .
Old 09-18-2004, 04:26 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Old 09-18-2004, 06:12 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by greenshirt77
.....I am, to say the least, not crazy about the front plate braket, but you all already knew that, didn't you. Both already had them on. The salesmen I spoke with, who actually seemed fairly knowledgeable on the C6, said they came from the factory like that. Would GM actually mount those at the factory to ship to states with a fp law? I got the impression he was saying that as a result of knowing that people didn't like it and didn't want to say that they put it on.......The same dealer is supposed to receive a red one any day, but the salesman wasn't sure which red........
The salesman could look the order up (or ask) about the color but then he would actually know something. The license plate bracket is not put on at the plant so if the if the dealer didn't do it, it must have been the truck driver who delivered the cars.

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY, AN UP-CLOSE LOOK! And...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FINALLY, AN UP-CLOSE LOOK! And...