C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 was not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 03:04 AM
kca009
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 was not impressed

I agree my dealer called me today to come down and look at his first C6. I've had two C5, currently have a C5 2004 Vert.
Don't want to trash the C6 because I don't have one. All the way to the dealer my heart was beating, I was thinking, shoot, I only have 1500miles on mine, maybe I'll make the trade. Once I saw the car I honestly did not like it. The wheels look like a brushed alum., The rear has some sort of body molding near the pipes. The back center light is surrounded by some funny looking black plastic. The front lights look cheap to me. Honestly the whole car looks cheap. I thought the inter. was designed to look like it had more class. I don't think so.

To start the car that's pretty cool, you don't need the key. Once the car started, I was wanting to hear some awesome sounds.... not here... going to have to upgrade,,, Opened the hood, looks nice, but looks like everything is jammed in there.

Then I walked out and seen a C5,,,,Sorry that's a Corvette. I said all along that we didn't want a guy messing with the most beloved car on earth, that designed the Pontiac Astec....

Definitely holding out another year,,, maybe the ZO6 will be better.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:11 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Another satisfied C5 owner.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:24 AM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

I guess no more steady stream of good info means a daily supply of annoying threads like these.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:02 AM
willisit
Advanced

Each to their own. I've yet to see a C6 (in the UK it may be some time) but C5s look pretty well screwed together.

Us Brits are sticklers for quality - but then we have Aston Martin, TVR (yeah, quality - oops!) etc so everyone gets a good beating nowadays. Mercedes can't even build cars right.

Anyway, my point is that I doubt the C6's quality will ever be below that of a C5 - but taste is a completely different thing.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:22 AM
paystyle
Pro

I respect that, but I do have to be honest. There does appear to be a hint of denial going on, especially since you just bought an '04. What's funny is how most of the criticism of the C6 by C5 owners would equally apply to the C5 as well (ie, cheap interior, orange peel, blah blah blah, ). But I think we all need a good healthy dose of denial every now and then. How else would we be content with critically erroneous decisions?
Old 09-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

C6 sucks. I'm getting a Kia.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:33 AM
AT T 2D
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe we could talk to the moderators about splitting the C6 section in to two forums. One of which will only allow positive comments about the C6. That way the people who feel their own judgment is being questioned by people will have a place to go to feel better about themselves.

And yes, some of us don't immediately love the C6, have a C5 by choice after seeing a C6, and have enough money to buy whatever we want, etc. And yes, some of our opinions may change with time, that is why we hang around here.

Let's just all get along folks and realized that every one has an opinion and it doesn't have to be the same as yours.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:54 AM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I own a C-4 and love the looks of the C-6.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:54 AM
blazeone
Safety Car

C5 owners have been hearing all about the short comings of the car since 1997. C6 owners should prepare for the same, the bashing has just begun.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:59 AM
SDMF
Pro

Originally Posted by kca009

Then I walked out and seen a C5,,,,Sorry that's a Corvette.
Please, you don't have to apologize for being mentally inferior. I guess no matter how many times we say it, some people just never get it:

If GM/Chevy chooses to call it a Corvette, it's a Corvette, and they don't give a damn if you think otherwise. The C6 is an overwhelming success, despite your "official, expert" opinion that it is not.

If they wanted to, GM could take the new Cobalt platform, throw some Corvette badges on it, and call it the Corvette. There's not a damn thing you could do about it either. It's THEIR car, not yours. People may not like it, but they could do it.

Bottom line, it IS a Corvette, and your opinion means absolutely nothing to GM, nor to the people that do like the new C6.

And here's a news flash for you: you're in the vast minority. The C6 is going to sell as much, if not more than the C5, despite what you think. Learn to live with it.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:01 AM
ALLR RED
Racer

Originally Posted by kca009
I agree my dealer called me today to come down and look at his first C6. I've had two C5, currently have a C5 2004 Vert.
Don't want to trash the C6 because I don't have one. All the way to the dealer my heart was beating, I was thinking, shoot, I only have 1500miles on mine, maybe I'll make the trade. Once I saw the car I honestly did not like it. The wheels look like a brushed alum., The rear has some sort of body molding near the pipes. The back center light is surrounded by some funny looking black plastic. The front lights look cheap to me. Honestly the whole car looks cheap. I thought the inter. was designed to look like it had more class. I don't think so.

To start the car that's pretty cool, you don't need the key. Once the car started, I was wanting to hear some awesome sounds.... not here... going to have to upgrade,,, Opened the hood, looks nice, but looks like everything is jammed in there.

Then I walked out and seen a C5,,,,Sorry that's a Corvette. I said all along that we didn't want a guy messing with the most beloved car on earth, that designed the Pontiac Astec....

Definitely holding out another year,,, maybe the ZO6 will be better.

Old 09-16-2004, 08:05 AM
SDMF
Pro

Originally Posted by ALLR RED
Good, than this applies to you, too:

Originally Posted by SDMF
Please, you don't have to apologize for being mentally inferior. I guess no matter how many times we say it, some people just never get it:

If GM/Chevy chooses to call it a Corvette, it's a Corvette, and they don't give a damn if you think otherwise. The C6 is an overwhelming success, despite your "official, expert" opinion that it is not.

If they wanted to, GM could take the new Cobalt platform, throw some Corvette badges on it, and call it the Corvette. There's not a damn thing you could do about it either. It's THEIR car, not yours. People may not like it, but they could do it.

Bottom line, it IS a Corvette, and your opinion means absolutely nothing to GM, nor to the people that do like the new C6.

And here's a news flash for you: you're in the vast minority. The C6 is going to sell as much, if not more than the C5, despite what you think. Learn to live with it.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:16 AM
Oilpatch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Why would a person with a brand new C5 be out looking at the C6? Seems to me you have made your decision.

I was never interested enough in the C5 to buy one. The C6 caught my attention. Now I'm going to be a first time Corvette owner. It seems logical to me that many people would think just the opposite.

What a boring world it would be if we all thought the same.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:22 AM
VettXPert
Instructor

Disappointment is not bashing folks. Its just that Dave Hill has played this car up up up for about 3-4 years now with BIG Promises. WELL? I think most of the promises fell short for a lot of us. The interior like it or not is not that different from C5 except for the fake plastic silver stuff that im now seeing in just about every makers new models. The C6 also has tons of recycled GM stuff on it as well for example the steering wheel and the 3 dimensional tail lamp fixture that appears on the Malibu SSR and Equanox as well as others. Corvette has always been pretty stand alone with everything but maybe hidden components, This car is a blatent "parts bin" effort by GM. No one here is really bashing but "venting" GM has taken a once "exclusive" platform and now made it into parts bin car. It no longer has its own chassis like it has for many many years and now its getting lots of parts stuck on it from other models without much disguise. Im sorry to say the C5 was the last "true" single platform Corvette to be produced and may one day become a collectors item. The C6 appears to be just another parts shared Chevrolet with many Cadillac features.

Last edited by VettXPert; 09-16-2004 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:26 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Why is it so important that EVERYONE loves the C6? I don't get it. I didn't care for the C4 or C5...so I never bought one. I love the look of the new C6, so it will be the first Corvette I've owned since 1977.

I don't know of any car that someone doesn't dislike for some reason. Well, actually, maybe the Chevette is the exception to that...a truly stunning design and a tribute to Chevrolet engineering.

The C6 impressed me enough that I traded in my practically brand new BMW Z4 for it...a financially stupid move. People who shell out $50,000 for a car obviously think it's worth it. Others will think it's ridiculous. Why would I possibly care if someone with a C4 or C5 likes their car better than a new C6?

Those of us who've ordered C6's think it's a great car and worth the expense. Those who haven't, either can't afford it right now or don't think it's worth the money. That's all there is to it.

Stan
Old 09-16-2004, 08:30 AM
SDMF
Pro

Originally Posted by VettXPert
The C6 appears to be just another parts shared Chevrolet with many Cadillac features.
That is 100% fine by me. That's how GM affords to give us such a FANTASTIC-performing vehicle for comparatively little money. If you want exclusive platforms and extra-fine interiors, spend at least 2-3 times as much for that exclusivity on a Ferrari, Porche, or other similar exotic.

GM's parts & platform sharing allows us to achieve nearly the same performance for around $50,000. I'm all for it! GM has made the right decisions to keep costs down and performace up. It makes perfect sense to me, and I hope they continue to do so.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:44 AM
VettXPert
Instructor

For pushing 60K the C6 is VERY short on content and exclusivity IMO.

Last edited by VettXPert; 09-16-2004 at 08:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 was not impressed

Old 09-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Why all the C5-C6 bashing? If you like the C5 great. If you like the C6 great. They are both Corvettes with qualities that appeal to everyone. I just happen to like the C5. The C6 is a great car but I prefer the pop-ups and the overall looks of the C5. Someday I'm sure a C6 will be sitting in my driveway! I guess I'll wait till GM starts producing the C6 in Torch Red.

Last edited by Scuba Ghost; 09-16-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

VettXPert

You said you were leaving. Why are you still posting?

Had to do an edit. I forgot to include your avatar.

Last edited by Another Yellow; 09-16-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
VettXPert

You said you were leaving. Why are you still posting?

Had to do an edit. I forgot to include your avatar.
Makes you wonder about the accuracy of some of the other things he's said, too, doesn't it?

Quick Reply: C6 was not impressed