C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vet Plant visit on 8/13

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:26 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Default Vet Plant visit on 8/13

Went down to the plant yesterday to get a good look at interiors so I could determine what color to go with. I have to let the dealer know by Tuesday. It looks like Mag Red with Black for me. But the line appeared to be running better than what we have heard about in the past couple of weeks. The back lot is packed with the vets still. Trucks still sitting there empty for now. Not much else to report. We all just have to hang in there I guess.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Corvette Maniac
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 09:23 AM
DonYellowC6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, we're hanging in there, but I am really puzzled by why it is taking so long to release the first cars that were produced. Some of them must have been sitting there three weeks or more by now. Makes you wonder what sort of "quality" problems could take so long to correct. Or maybe they are just lacking minor but critical parts. Or maybe...???

That's what makes the waiting SO frustrating. Even though many of us are a littel crazy, we are adults and can understand things like missing parts. But with no concrete information coming out of the plant as to exactly when the cars will be released, it's almost like someone has tried to devise the perfect torture for a car nut.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:47 AM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Originally Posted by MThomas
Went down to the plant yesterday to get a good look at interiors so I could determine what color to go with. I have to let the dealer know by Tuesday. It looks like Mag Red with Black for me. But the line appeared to be running better than what we have heard about in the past couple of weeks. The back lot is packed with the vets still. Trucks still sitting there empty for now. Not much else to report. We all just have to hang in there I guess.
Did you see any convertibles on the line?Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Rwdyryd
Racer

Default Thanks for the update!

Great news, "But the line appeared to be running better than what we have heard about in the past couple of weeks". Details, details inquiring mind want to know! Were all the carriers full or are the still skipping ie 1 car, 2 carriers etc. I'll promise my first born for more details I sure hope they were paying attention yesterday... a friday car and the 13th to boot.

About my first born... I meant human not my Corvette! did I mention the vasectomy

Bob
Old 08-14-2004, 12:24 PM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

Here is an example of what I was told about the Mag Red. Is this true?

The magnetic red looks great on the C5 in my opinion, but I just didn't really like it on the C6. IMHO it is not as flattering to the lines of the car as other colors. It is such a busy color (in bright sunlight, standing still, you can see shades varying from red to burgundy to magenta to maroon) that I just didn't tend to see the body features; just that busy color.

I have been swayed from left to right on the color thing and am now trying to narrow a color down. Since I decided at this point to do the Mag Red w/ Black Int I would like you view on how the Mag Red looked. Please be as decriptive as you can. Thanks

Last edited by c6nut; 08-14-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Did you talk negatively about Mag Red!?!#%!#?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:14 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Yes the line was full with no spaced between each corvette. There were two convertibles on the line, YELLOW. It's hard to describe the Mag Red as far as showing the lines of the Corvette. I did not notice any color changes based on the lines curves of the corvette. I did notice that the Silver looks great on the C6!!!!!! It's making me think some now about silver. I must decied by Tuesday! I hope this answered some of the questions.... Sorry but no photos at this time. I will scan some in after I pick them up tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:17 PM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lazerwolfe
Did you talk negatively about Mag Red!?!#%!#?

No, I just wnat to make sure I am picking the correct color. I called the dealer today and told him Mag Red it is

Can never get enough pictures. Can't wait to see them.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:42 PM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MThomas
Yes the line was full with no spaced between each corvette. There were two convertibles on the line, YELLOW. It's hard to describe the Mag Red as far as showing the lines of the Corvette. I did not notice any color changes based on the lines curves of the corvette. I did notice that the Silver looks great on the C6!!!!!! It's making me think some now about silver. I must decied by Tuesday! I hope this answered some of the questions.... Sorry but no photos at this time. I will scan some in after I pick them up tomorrow.
Whew! Thanks! Counting on the silver (my first silver vette). I like the way the headlight surround looks with the silver paint.

But sorry.. can't dig cashmear interior darling (Mr. Howell Gilligan's Isand). Gotz to have leather jacket black for me. I would mess up that cashmere with shoe dirt and road tar in no time. Each car will have a different meaning to each owner

And .. I remember in 97 that they held the cars on the lot for a while. I am not at all suprised that they are doing this again.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Mike in IA
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Very interested in your comments on the best int. color to go with mag red, as that will be my exterior color.

Some say cashmere is OK (including GM) but I have ruled that out, esp. since my current ride has that color - want something new.

I know ebony will go well w/mag, but I am not a fan of black interiors - too monotone (although the alum. trim will give some contrast) + the heat in a car that you can open up to the sun.

It is hard to tell from various qualities of photos on the 'net if the red int. will be OK with mag as well as with Victory Red. It also looks fairly loud in the photos.

That left me with gray. I assume it will go OK with the alum. trim?

Any comments?
Did you see a Mag Red II/ Cobalt Red?

TIA
Old 08-15-2004, 08:54 PM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had the experience of owning many a Corvette in the Texas sun. For a while I shared the thinking that the interior color had something to do with heat build up.

My 98 and 91 Vert was White with Black interior. They ran rather warm but not blistering. Actually the exterior color absorption and a transparent top has more to do with the interior temp. In 89 I had a dark gray exterior with transparent top and light gray interior. It would turn cassette tapes into cauliflower. I used to open the door, quickly reach inside and start the engine and AC long before I could even begin to sit in the car. It could take several minute of the AC running before I could get inside.

So.. for cooler cars.. white and silver exterior and no transparent tops for the greenhouse effect. It doesn’t seem to make that much difference on the interior selection.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Mike in IA
Instructor

Thanks Rich

Still wondering which way to go:
Mag Red/gray, ebony, or red?

Any eyewitness descriptions & opinions welcome.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:45 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Mike...After looking at all the interiors in person, I did not like the gray, I thought it was to light for ME. I thought the red would not go well with Mag Red. So for ME, the only way to go was Ebony. Hope this helps!!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mike in IA
Thanks Rich

Still wondering which way to go:
Mag Red/gray, ebony, or red?

Any eyewitness descriptions & opinions welcome.
From other eyewitness accounts, the back hatch area (if it's a coupe - not sure about vert) will be black to prevent glare from sun. Getting ebony interior should, I think, assure you that all the carpeting is the same color. JMO.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Mike in IA
Instructor

I believe that cashmere interiors get cashmere carpet in FRONT/black in back.

All others get ALL black carpet.

Carpeted floor mats match the seat color in all four varieties.

That is the way it looks in the pictures, anyway.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2004, 10:21 PM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

Mike, I have an 02 Torch Red w/ all black interior. I just got in on this weeks allocation. I chose Mag Red w/ Ebony. It is not too hot really. In the summer I have the reflective corvette front cover for the window. I don't think it gets any more hotter than any other car. AHHH, I found a little trick. Before getting in the car on a really hot day (85 or better) pop the hatch for about 5 seconds. The majority of the heat escapes and is not to bad inside. The temp will drop 10-15 degrees easily.

Get notified of new replies

To Vet Plant visit on 8/13

Old 08-16-2004, 10:52 PM
skfurr
Racer

Default Mag Red / Steel Grey

I thought that Magnetic Red was only avail w/ cashmere, red and ebony interior?

That's one reason I went with LMB: I wanted some variety in the interior since the dash is black. I think the Grey will break up all of that black and give some gentle contrast.

I was considering Mag Red but the guide said grey wasn't available with it and Rick Daniel confirmed for me.

Thanks!

Stephen
Old 08-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Mike in IA
Instructor

The original guides did not allow gray with either Mag Red II or Precision Red. Later info, including posts on this board, indicated that gray could be ordered with either red (Mag or now Victory Red). I have seen this on the salesmens training DVD.

BTW - I saw a LM Blue/cashmere vert at Bloomington,IL - very very nice!
Quite similar to the Topaz Blue/Sand BMW that I drive now.

Couldn't do my next car in the same colors, and my first Corvette had to be red! Now if I just knew for sure about the interior to specify
Old 08-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mike in IA
Couldn't do my next car in the same colors, and my first Corvette had to be red! Now if I just knew for sure about the interior to specify
My 94 coupe was Torch Red with Light Beige interior. I was surprised that I liked it as well as I did, but I've ordered ebony with my Precision Red (or Victory Red, whichever I wind up with).

Other people with black interior have indicated it doesn't seem to get any hotter than other interiors - it's mostly what color the outside is. Might make a difference if your car sat in direct sunlight all day.

Quick Reply: Vet Plant visit on 8/13