C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone told me C6 has E gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:12 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Default Someone told me C6 has E gas

something to do with the gas petal,I know the c5 has no mechicial linkage to the engine,does anyone know what he is talking about?Said the porsche has it and he does not like it? thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2004, 07:25 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Beginning with the new C5 in 1997 all Corvettes have an electronically controlled throttle. There is no direct mechanical connection between the throttle pedal and throttle valve. The pedal talks to the Powertrain Control Module and the PCM commands the throttle stepper motor on the throttle body.

A number of cars, particularly in the higher price ranges, have similar systems.

Parameters such as throttle tip-in rate are controlled by software, but I don't know of any way for owners to modify the OE programing.

Duke
Old 08-10-2004, 07:39 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, (beginning with the C5 LS1) there is no mechancial linkage from your right foot to the throttle body. This enables lots of things to be controlled more seamlessly, reduces weight and will be as common as ABS brakes some day, if not now. For example, your Cruise Control can be electronically controled by the computer, rather than a control modual with a second cable attached to the TB. It helps speed and control messages to the ABS and the engine for the active handling program. All of these messages (right foot, active handling, and traction control) travel through a single control to the TB.

This my laymen's understanding - anyone pitch in and correct if I mistated anything.

BTW, if your friend does not like this feature, maybe he is frequently trying to do things that the computer programming "thinks" are not smart, so it overrides him. I have read that some active handling systems can not be completely turned off (I don't know about Porsche's), which means that at the limits of handling - like on a track or autocrossing - the computer might interfear with the driver's control. The Vette has always had an override capability that allows the driver to completely disable the active handling program and be as stupid as his insurance will cover - even more stupider.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by LongTimer
...... The Vette has always had an override capability that allows the driver to completely disable the active handling program and be as stupid as his insurance will cover - even more stupider.
So well put.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:27 AM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

I have had it on my 01' Roadster and my last two Mercedes. I really like it and early press pieces have indicated its a well programmed unit.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:29 AM
SamsBud

Originally Posted by LongTimer
...... The Vette has always had an override capability that allows the driver to completely disable the active handling program and be as stupid as his insurance will cover - even more stupider.
Originally Posted by Another Yellow
So well put.

I really enjoy the posts from the folks who think they are real hotshoes, and don't need active handling & electronic assistance to help them in emergency situations - because they're such good drivers. There was a certain moderator on here a couple of years ago who found out the hard way that

(active handling = off) + (large_tree) = (badly_bent_z06)
Old 08-11-2004, 07:19 AM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have semi tractors with 10 speed auto shift manual trannys.

You use the clutch to start and stop the rest of it is done for you. It double clutches and everything.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:29 AM
SSkindog
Racer

My 2003 GMC Sierra Pickup has Throttle by wire as well..............very common at GM these days.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:20 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by SamsBud

I really enjoy the posts from the folks who think they are real hotshoes, and don't need active handling & electronic assistance to help them in emergency situations - because they're such good drivers. There was a certain moderator on here a couple of years ago who found out the hard way that

Yes, whatever became of "Ramair Tony"?

Duke
Old 08-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Hurricane

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Yes, whatever became of "Ramair Tony"?

Duke
I've often wondered that myself....

Old 08-11-2004, 11:10 AM
LWD
Navigator

I thought RAT went out and purchased himself a Viper?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SamsBud

And of course there are hundreds of us here who consider turning off active handling as a consistent part of our startup routine who have never had an accident...

Sorry you are not such a good driver.

Back to the TOPIC. As you can see, I DESPISE the active handling. I'm not opposed to the concept, but I don't see the implementation is quite there yet. It is abrupt and harsh. When they can implement it in a way where I can't tell it is happening then I will be more accepting of it.

However, with those qualifications, and seeing that I am perhaps one of the most ardent opposers of Active Handling, let me say that I have NO PROBLEM with the Corvette gas pedal implementation.

You can't tell it is "fly by wire." It feels like a gas pedal, and best of all - there is no annoying surge and pulsing when you have cruise control on while driving on the interstate.

You won't notice it is there and I don't know what your friend is doing with his Porsche, or how they implement it - but the Corvette gas pedal is a non-issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Someone told me C6 has E gas

Quick Reply: Someone told me C6 has E gas