C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 or Caddy...hard to tell sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Default C6 or Caddy...hard to tell sometimes.

There are c6's crawling all over here and this is what disturbed me:
I was cruising on 696 doing like 80 - Um I mean the speed limit and I saw what I thought was a cadillac - Then I realized it was a new vette and then he hit his turn signal and with that signal blinging it looked exactly like the caddy from my angle, they must have the same signal mounted the same location (or close). They are built in the same plant which is a joke and I THINK they are on the same frame.

Doesn't that make the C5 the last true purpose built corvette. At least the last one with it's own dedicated platform and assembly location. Taken one step further one might say that makes it the last real vette.

If I have the facts wrong please forgive me.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:00 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Everyone has such a different perception of things....which isnt always a bad thing..... The two cars might share some things.... but they are apples and oranges to me.... and that is my perception
Old 07-30-2004, 07:23 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirek
....... it looked exactly like the caddy from my angle, they must have the same signal mounted the same location (or close). They are built in the same plant which is a joke and I THINK they are on the same frame.

Doesn't that make the C5 the last true purpose built corvette. At least the last one with it's own dedicated platform and assembly location. Taken one step further one might say that makes it the last real vette.

I think the C6 is a Corvette in its own right. I really enjoy my C5, it is a great car, but no way is the C5 the last Corvette.

The fact, that Corvettes share components with other cars, is one of the reasons we can get the performance we enjoy at a reasonable price.

If you want an affordable aftermarket, you need components used in high volume. A good example is the support the original small block enjoys.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Are they built on the same frame though ?
I'm asking as I do not know for sure. That Caddy is one FINE automobile, probably my favorite car actually.
I guess that if you have to share a platform ala firebird/camaro, the caddy isn't bad. It does signal the end of an era though.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:51 PM
ALLR RED
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was cruising on 696 doing like 80 - Um I mean the speed limit and I saw what I thought was a cadillac - Then I realized it was a new vette and then he hit his turn signal and with that signal blinging it looked exactly like the caddy from my angle, they must have the same signal mounted the same location (or close). They are built in the same plant which is a joke and I THINK they are on the same frame.

In my opnion the C5 is definitely the last true Corvette. For 51 years it's never shared a platform with any other model. I refer to the C6 as a Cadvette. Thank you Mr. David Hill
Old 07-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Platform exclusivity does not a Corvette make. The Corvette is a sports car. It's not a frame rail, or a door handle, or a building, or a badge, or a manufacturing technique. It's a sports car.

If Corvette shared a frame or a factory with a Cavalier -- or even a Taurus -- yet remained a distinctive, recognizable, high-value, world-class sports car, it would still be a real Corvette.

It's all about the car.

If exclusivity is important to you, buy a Porsche or a Ferrari.

And if you confuse C6 with XLR on anything more than a millesecond blurred glance, a visit to Lens Crafters may be in order. Visually they share general proportions -- as they do with other front-mid engine two-seaters -- and nothing else.

.Jinx
Old 07-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

For 51 years it's never shared a platform with any other model.
Wasn't the C1 frame cut down from a Chevy sedan?
Old 07-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as sharing the frame the C6 is hardly the first Corvette to do that.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:15 PM
John George
Melting Slicks

Location: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies. --Bokonon
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'07

The development of the C5 made the Corvette a world class car. It could hold it's own with Viper, Jaguar, Porsche, Ferrari, et al at a price the competition couldn't and can't match. The Corvette won't place first in a performance test among these cars but it won't place last. I think the C6 will again raise the standard for the Corvette. If it shares a plant, platform or components with other cars it doesn't make a difference to me. I am interested in the quality of the car that is built.
It's about the result. A C6 is no less a Corvette than any of the previous generations. Considering performance, it will likely be the best.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Jinx
Platform exclusivity does not a Corvette make. The Corvette is a sports car. It's not a frame rail, or a door handle, or a building, or a badge, or a manufacturing technique. It's a sports car.

If Corvette shared a frame or a factory with a Cavalier -- or even a Taurus -- yet remained a distinctive, recognizable, high-value, world-class sports car, it would still be a real Corvette.

It's all about the car.

And if you confuse C6 with XLR on anything more than a millesecond blurred glance, a visit to Lens Crafters may be in order. Visually they share general proportions -- as they do with other front-mid engine two-seaters -- and nothing else.

.Jinx
Old 07-30-2004, 11:01 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by John George
The development of the C5 made the Corvette a world class car. It could hold it's own with Viper, Jaguar, Porsche, Ferrari, et al at a price the competition couldn't and can't match. The Corvette won't place first in a performance test among these cars but it won't place last. I think the C6 will again raise the standard for the Corvette. If it shares a plant, platform or components with other cars it doesn't make a difference to me. I am interested in the quality of the car that is built.
It's about the result. A C6 is no less a Corvette than any of the previous generations. Considering performance, it will likely be the best.
True, but IMO Team Corvette did not "stretch" enough. In a few years, the 'other' automakers will surpass the C6 in styling, technology, and performance. This means GM cannot rest on its laurels like the C5. There must be obvious and continuous refinement.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:19 PM
70L46Conv4Sp
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLR RED
In my opnion the C5 is definitely the last true Corvette. For 51 years it's never shared a platform with any other model. I refer to the C6 as a Cadvette. Thank you Mr. David Hill
The last true Corvette??? It would seem, after reading a lot about the C6, that it is an improved car just as the C7 will most likely be an improvement over the C6 in another decade or so. What's wrong with change? Without model changes and improvements to the breed, we'd all be driving polo white, blue flame sixes with powerglide (on a sedan frame, to boot). I say, " a true thanks" (read: not sarcastic) to Dave Hill and his predecessors for all their styling, performance and engineering changes over the last five decades. If you're that dissatisfied with the C6 you can probably get an exception to policy that allows you to forego the statutory required purchase of a new C6. There are plenty of other cars out there to choose from.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:20 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by BHP
True, but IMO Team Corvette did not "stretch" enough. In a few years, the 'other' automakers will surpass the C6 in styling, technology, and performance. This means GM cannot rest on its laurels like the C5. There must be obvious and continuous refinement.

I'm not sure how you justify that statement. High Intensity Lights, leading edge technology for GM (and most everyone else) big engines with excellent gas mileage, styling that at least is concurrent with present trends and easily current for the next five years. Of course, things get better every year, but I feel that Corvettes have proved to be and will continue to prove themselves to handle new technologies for many years past their introduction. Feel free to respond.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:00 AM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

The corvette has the most unique body style of any car. That's the way it has always been, and that's why I've always liked it. And I wouldn't mind if it shared the same frame with a $70k+ Cadillac. Along with the stereo, nav, and whatever else. I also see lensecrafters in your future.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:07 AM
angryfly
Instructor

C5: The last real 'Vette before corporate sell out shared it's platform.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:49 AM
Kaosinla
Pro

Location: Beverly Hills No Job is Too Small, No Fee is Too Big!!!

Originally Posted by Jinx

It's all about the car.

.Jinx
I couldn't have said it better myself.

If GM didn't say that the C6 is sharing a platform with the XLR, you would never know.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:22 AM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Originally Posted by ALLR RED

Get notified of new replies

To C6 or Caddy...hard to tell sometimes.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:22 AM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

I can see what you guys mean but I disagree with the statement above. Also exactly what is the other corvette that shared a platform as referenced above?

Once you start sharing platforms (of all things !) you make comprimises ALL OVER the place especially with a shared frame. I am not certain what else (besides the frame) has been PULLED OUT OF THE PARTS BIN but I did notice the new Vette is cheaper (Hmmm). I realize that the c6 board is probably not the best place to seek support for my statement but I had to toss it out there. BTW when is the last time you saw a magazine shred any new car (really now) so of course everyone will rant and rave about the c6 (and its value) and make the obligitory negative remark about something like the seat cushion after 40 or so miles fealing uncomfortable.
End of an era.
Is nothing sacred ?
I bet that z06 will be a screamer though....maybe they will build it on a Buick and we can all afford it !
Old 07-31-2004, 11:24 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also exactly what is the other corvette that shared a platform as referenced above?
From 53 to 62.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

I realize that the c6 board is probably not the best place to seek support for my statement but I had to toss it out there.
Just to point out, no one will support your statement if they just plain disagree, regardless if they are a C6 fan or not.

Last edited by Lazerwolfe; 07-31-2004 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Fairness

Quick Reply: C6 or Caddy...hard to tell sometimes.