C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the Corvette/GM problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 12:22 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default the Corvette/GM problem

Just out of curiousity with so many people complaining about the C5-C6 rear end size (which on the C5 I think is perfect, and I still am waiting to see a real C6 in person) why does the Corvette team feel as tho they have to build a sports car like the Vette with all the accommidations of a ?Camry/Impala? For GOD's sake the car might soon get a back seat because some goof out there complains that it does not have enough rear leg room.

I love GM like a parent loves a child who is a junkie (U know what I mean), but come on . Chrysler/Benz is putting out the goergeous 300M, cool Magnum, sexy SL500 convert, and now the risque Crossfire-SRT, BMW has it sometimes breath taking line, even Nissan, Acura and Hyundai are producing desirable cars. With the exception of Cadillac, Hummer, and Saab the General might as well think about a new strategy or be ready to raise the White Flag.
GM should of bought BMW a couple of years ago when they were in trouble, cause maybe just maybe BMW could have helped the General grow some CAHOUNAS!!
:mad
Old 07-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: the Corvette/GM problem (cmicasa)

The size of the rear is NOT for luggage space, it is purely aero. By the way, the C6's looks great in real life.

tom...
Old 07-04-2004, 12:32 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: the Corvette/GM problem (Tom73)

I am excited about the C6 don't get me wrong, but I guess that I've been spoiled by my C5's super car exotic looks
Old 07-04-2004, 08:28 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the C6 is way more exotic looking than the C5.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

BMW has it sometimes breath taking line.

GM should of bought BMW a couple of years ago when they were in trouble, cause maybe just maybe BMW could have helped the General grow some CAHOUNAS!!
:mad
I couldn't disagree with this more. I was a fan of BMW from way back in the 2002 days (the car, not the year). The recent design trend that they have taken is far from esthetically pleasing IMHO. The M5 was my favorite sedan for some time but I wouldn't touch one now. The replacement for the 635 is far from attractive to my eyes.

I'll take a C6, XLR, Solstice, Nomad (if it's produced), CTS-V, or SSR over most anything that is coming out of the other companies these days.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

BMW...breath taking desing???? Are you sure you've seen a Bimmer over the last 1-1/2 years with Bangle as the designer? Pure ugly. I'd take any number of the General's products over the new Bimmers any day (C6, XLR, CTS V, SRX, SSR, Solstice, H2 SUT, etc.). The new Z4 is one of the ugliest cars to come out in a while, only matched by the Sciaon xB and the Honda Element. It's too bad, because I used to be a big fan of BMW. The Z3 and "old" 5 series were gorgeous. No denying the "new" BMW's technical and track prowess, just their looks.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:44 AM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

I happen to like all the accomodations they are adding... its makes the C6 a super versatile car... one you can take on a long trip and be comfortable.. and one that will scream like a demon when you need it too... I feel that is a major asset and a good move by GM... but thats JMO....
Old 07-04-2004, 10:30 AM
SEA6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: the Corvette/GM problem (TRAYC6)

I'll second that emotion
Old 07-04-2004, 10:43 AM
spikalcat
Instructor

I think GM is truly making a come back this time...It appears they are finally listening to what buyers have to say about the design and functionality of the vehicles they build. The C6 is a fine example of this... They took a great car and made it better by "trimming the fat", improving horsepower, handling and throwing in "cool factor" features like push button start. I think this is a new era for the General.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

GM has both the GTO and the CTS-V. Exactly why would they put a back seat in Corvette?

Corvette's practical features are a strength, not a weakness. It still looks great and drives like it's connected directly to the driver's cerebellum.

.Jinx
Old 07-04-2004, 11:28 AM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default Re: the Corvette/GM problem (Jinx)

Out of curiosity, I test drove a Crossfire and unless you're a midget whose sole carryon is a lunch box you might as well buy a motorcycle.

Some of us will roadtrip in our Vettes and need room for the significant other's fourteen piece overnight luggage set.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

with Jinx

[Modified by RedC6Coupe, 10:31 AM 7/4/2004]
Old 07-04-2004, 11:38 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Default Re: the Corvette/GM problem (Corvette Junkie)

The C6 looks meaner and leaner than the fat C5.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:51 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

GM has both the GTO and the CTS-V. Exactly why would they put a back seat in Corvette?

Corvette's practical features are a strength, not a weakness. It still looks great and drives like it's connected directly to the driver's cerebellum.

.Jinx
I think one of the things GM got right on the C5 and C6 is the overall though process on what to include in the car and what to leave out. That sounds like an obvious concept, but so many car manufacturers screw up this fundamental part of the design process before production ever starts. Both C5 and C6 have great styling, performance (the most performance that is practical without breaking the bank), size (not too small), electronic "gadgetry: (they keep the "neat stuff" element there for appeal without getting carried away), serviceability (you CAN still work on it), reasonable maintenance cost (no $3,000 scheduled service intervals) and the list goes on. In addition to all of this, 2 people can travel from SE Texas to Bowling Green (850 miles) comfortably in 1 day, only stop once for gas, and still do well at the races when you get there. A lot of what I speak of are based on C5, but I know that C6 does all of these same things a little bit better.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

.Jinx
If they could get more $$$$. Why does GM do a lot of things???
Time will tell if the C6 is more exotic or not. And, if the large rear end on the C5 is for aero then the very useful luggage space is a great bonus!
Old 07-04-2004, 01:36 PM
THE LEGEND LIVES
Burning Brakes

Default Re: the Corvette/GM problem (Corvette Junkie)

I ABSOLUTELY agree...

Get notified of new replies

To the Corvette/GM problem

Old 07-04-2004, 02:17 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: the Corvette/GM problem (THE LEGEND LIVES)

I think the vert is stellar from any angle. I always prefered the notch over the hatchback with the C5 and it seems to me that with the C6 I would prefer a notch even more if I could get one. Unfortunetly mid fifties is my max price range so I wont be able to take advantage of the Z if it indeed does come that way. All well, I still like the C6 coupe a great deal so no real complaint.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:17 PM
wlee013
Pro

I sold my 2002 BMW 530i to make room for my C6. I thought I would never buy an American car due to parents terrible experiences in the 70's and 80's, but it was the C6 design that changed my mind. It is fresh, sharp and tight. IMHO the C5 didn't appeal to ME due to its round exterior and dated interior. I think GM is making great strides with its cars and converting people like me back to American designs.

I got to give Dave Hill and his team credit for designing a car that is coordinated inside and out. As a former BMW owner, I don't care for the new design with the exception of the 645 coupe which I considered as well, but the C6 design appeared to me to have more passion and sophistication.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:47 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

I ABSOLUTELY agree...
And I ABSOLUTELY disagree. I guess it's good that everyone has a different opinion when it comes to styling.

Quick Reply: the Corvette/GM problem