C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 05:27 PM
bchisom99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shifters

Everybodys doing it,... how long until we see paddle shifters and more gears in the C6 auto, and who would buy it?? Just got back from the F1 Race, and theres a new 360 in the office next door, just promted the thought.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Paddle Shifters (bchisom99)

You won't see them as log as Dave Hill is in charge.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:19 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default Re: Paddle Shifters (Corvette Junkie)

I drove an RX8 that had them and I HATED them. Between turn stalks, wiper stalks and

What a PITA. Give me a floor shifter.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:33 PM
kornblind
Racer

Paddle shifters are hot but completley impractical
Old 06-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't been introduced on the corvette yet. I would think a well designed paddle actuated, purely mechanically driven clutch should be able to outperform a human punching the clutch and changing gears manually pretty much everytime.

BMW's SMG system can change gears in 80 milliseconds? Ouch.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Paddle Shifters (Corvette Junkie)

You won't see them as long as Dave Hill is in charge.
I saw Dave Hill give a speech in Feb-02, and those were basically his exact words.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:55 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Paddle Shifters (Z-07 freak)

An auto with paddles is rather pointless but an SMG with paddles would be an excellent choice for the vette. I have experiance only with the BMW SMG but theirs it is a worthy box. In manual mode it is quite involving since you cant just flick the lever (or paddle) like an auto but rather have to modulate the throttle with the lever throw in order to make smooth shifts. Takes a little practice. While being short of a full manual experiance I think most folks would be suprised just how involving it is to drive, its nothing like a slushbox. You feel like your driving a manual. On the other side of the coin when doing the rushhour thing you can put it in auto mode and it will handle the shifting/clutching chores itself. Not as smooth as an auto but not bad. It would be well suited to this car and if Chevy gave us a worthy implementation I am pretty sure it would sell to lots of folks who yearned for the manual but didnt get one because of traffic etc.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:14 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally don't care about paddles, but I do want to see some type of SMG trans. That's the main reason why I'm holding off on an 05.

I don't have any insider info on this, but my gut tells me we will see at least a 6 speed auto for 06. Corvette can't keep putting out this 4 speed, and call it a cutting edge car.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

if you mean a way to precisely control shifts, i set mine up years ago w/ a console switch http://community.webtv.net/MATTGRU/M...tic/index.html
Old 06-29-2004, 09:33 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Re: Paddle Shifters (JLinNY)

BMW and Ferrari paddle shifters come from their F1 racing experience. GM doesn't have such experience and never built a tranny like this. So it is unlikely that we'll see it any time soon.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:00 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Default Re: Paddle Shifters (PeterK)

It isnt technology that will keep you from seeing it. Money is the main factor. Building an SMG would be an expensive proposition and they dont have many cars suitable for it so the volume of trannys built would be low and recouping the investment would be difficult. Since they will sell the same number of cars without it, that pretty much seals the deal. If it was a money making proposition it would already be available. Different story for a revised auto. They have more potential installations and it would help with CAFE. Much better money spent from the corporate viewpoint. That one would seem much more likely IMO
Old 06-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Paddle Shifters (crabman)

An auto with paddles is rather pointless but an SMG with paddles would be an excellent choice for the vette. I have experiance only with the BMW SMG but theirs it is a worthy box. In manual mode it is quite involving since you cant just flick the lever (or paddle) like an auto but rather have to modulate the throttle with the lever throw in order to make smooth shifts. Takes a little practice. While being short of a full manual experiance I think most folks would be suprised just how involving it is to drive, its nothing like a slushbox. You feel like your driving a manual. On the other side of the coin when doing the rushhour thing you can put it in auto mode and it will handle the shifting/clutching chores itself. Not as smooth as an auto but not bad. It would be well suited to this car and if Chevy gave us a worthy implementation I am pretty sure it would sell to lots of folks who yearned for the manual but didnt get one because of traffic etc.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that even in "S" mode the M3's SMG will automatically try to rev match while downshifting even in if you are hitting the paddles manually to downshift.

I just bought an '04 auto. If an SMG type tranny was available for the same price as the M3's, $2400, I would have snagged it in a heartbeat.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:15 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

It isnt technology that will keep you from seeing it. Money is the main factor. Building an SMG would be an expensive proposition and they dont have many cars suitable for it so the volume of trannys built would be low and recouping the investment would be difficult. Since they will sell the same number of cars without it, that pretty much seals the deal. If it was a money making proposition it would already be available. Different story for a revised auto. They have more potential installations and it would help with CAFE. Much better money spent from the corporate viewpoint. That one would seem much more likely IMO
Well, BMW puts the SMG option across the entire 3rd series. A lot of econo-cars in EU are sold with these 6sp SMG-kind tranny as a standard.
The SMG-like tranny are actually cheaper to build than regular slush boxes and they get better MPG.

I think GM just doesn't have this technology and not willing to invest money to get it.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:49 PM
bchisom99
Advanced

Good point on the variety of cars that it is suitable for, would be something that would get me into an "auto/smg" version if the MPG would go up as much as the 6mt. right now I could only see it on the vette and the Gto, maybe something that should be on the Solstice. But I am guilty of loving to row though gears like thats what makes the car go. . .
Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Default Re: Paddle Shifters (PeterK)

Actually BMWs new A6 gets better millage than the SMG. Compare the number on the new 5 and you will see what I mean. They have many more cars suitable for installation of the SMG due to their overall more sporting image/product. That spreads out the cost of development and the tranny fits in with the image they are trying to project with their entire product line. I agree with you. They are unlikely too spend the money when they face a significant development cost that would not have an installed base large enough to recoup the expenditures. The money however is the issue. If it was profitable the engineering would get done.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:55 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

the car magazines say they are a PIA because you have to remember which way is up shift and which way is down shift because they are not standardized
Old 06-29-2004, 01:01 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default the 6 speed auto in the BMW is made by GM

there is no need for a 6 speed with the broad torque range of the LS-2 engine except to get better milage not more performance. if the engine has a narrow power band you need the close ratio of the 6 gears to keep the engine in the power band.

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shifters

Old 06-29-2004, 01:12 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Default Re: Paddle Shifters (Black04Vert)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that even in "S" mode the M3's SMG will automatically try to rev match while downshifting even in if you are hitting the paddles manually to downshift.

I just bought an '04 auto. If an SMG type tranny was available for the same price as the M3's, $2400, I would have snagged it in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it rev matchs and downshifts are qued with multiple presses. It snaps off each one in line with nice blips of the throttle. Better than I can do with my meager skills. I was reffering to upshifting. Partial throttle manual upshifts are much smoother with throttle modulation.Even in auto it shifts better if you sense the impending change and back out of the throttle a little. When flogging it you mash the peddle and hit the paddle. While not so much on this forum I think a lot of people in general equate the SMG with an auto and I was trying to point out that they are different animals. The SMG is a wonderful tranny, its a lot more fun than an auto and I think they would get plenty of takers if they offered it. Its just hard to image the bean counters would ok it.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: the 6 speed auto in the BMW is made by GM (clem zahrobsky)

clem
on the autobahn what gear would you delete?
Old 06-29-2004, 03:01 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: the 6 speed auto in the BMW is made by GM (Matt Gruber)

top speed in stock C-5 is reached in 5 th gear not 6th as the engine wil not pull to the red line in 6 th. 6 th is only there to get the CAFE mileage

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters