C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Window switches

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 01:55 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Window switches

I am really fond of the window & door lock buttons in the C5 and these seem to have been changed to a rocker switch in the C6. I noticed this for the 1st time today on chevy's website in the 360 degree interior view. Can anyone who has seen the car in person confirm that the rubber buttons have been replaced with rocker switches? I also noticed homelink is available in the C6, that's a good addition. The interior is really sharp with the exception on these rocker switches. Also, is the active handling button different? It looks to me like it's a 2 or 3 positional turn ***.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: C6 Window switches (torchredfrc)

You are correct, they've replaced the nice membrane switches with cheapo rocker switches.

You can thank this "more euro" BS for that.

[Modified by Scissors, 3:07 PM 4/21/2004]
Old 04-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Hernan
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C6 Window switches (Scissors)

You are correct, they've replaced the nice membrane switches with cheapo rocker switches.

No, you can thank the safety advocates. The US manufacturers have been slow to move to window switches that do not raise the window with downward pressure.

There was a report on TV of kids climbing to look out car windows and stepping on the window switch and being strangled by the power window.

The new switches, like foreign cars (some for 15 years) now need to be pulled up to close the window.

I know a lot of people think safety is for foreigners and fruits, but I am all for it, I want a car I can crash at 186MPH and survive
Old 04-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: C6 Window switches (Hernan)

No, you can thank the safety advocates. The US manufacturers have been slow to move to window switches that do not raise the window with downward pressure.

There was a report on TV of kids climbing to look out car windows and stepping on the window switch and being strangled by the power window.

The new switches, like foreign cars (some for 15 years) now need to be pulled up to close the window.
Except that a simple pressure sensor which lowers the window when it finds its path blocked pretty much eliminates the need for safer switches.

The C5 already has this ability. The C6 could have gone with membrane switches and been just as safe.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:57 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

wow, i did not think that anyone actually preferred cheezy numb membrane switches. learn something new every day.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: C6 Window switches (TripleBlack99)

wow, i did not think that anyone actually preferred cheezy numb membrane switches. learn something new every day.
Numb? I wasn't aware that feedback was required for raising and lowering windows. Perhaps they are performance windows?
Old 04-21-2004, 04:47 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A window pressure sensor would be better, these switches are terrible. They are supposed to be trying to improve the fit and finnish of the car... at least that is why I'm assuming they have done things like make onstar, navigation, and paint the gage bezels. I don't know if the rocker switches are cheaper than the membrane switches but I did not like rocker switches at all in my Trans Am. They break easily and if you get anything on them it will seep and you have to replace them. I just can't see why safety or euro would lead the engineers to go back to the old school rocker switches... I guess this is just one more thing I can add to my list of reasons I'm not going to order a C6.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Hernan
Drifting

Except that a simple pressure sensor which lowers the window when it finds its path blocked pretty much eliminates the need for safer switches.

The C5 already has this ability. The C6 could have gone with membrane switches and been just as safe.
Had not stuck my head in the closing window to check

FWIW I like the look and feel of the membrane ones more too
Old 04-22-2004, 05:03 PM
KISSfn
Pro

I am really fond of the window & door lock buttons in the C5 and these seem to have been changed to a rocker switch in the C6. I noticed this for the 1st time today on chevy's website in the 360 degree interior view. Can anyone who has seen the car in person confirm that the rubber buttons have been replaced with rocker switches? I also noticed homelink is available in the C6, that's a good addition. The interior is really sharp with the exception on these rocker switches. Also, is the active handling button different? It looks to me like it's a 2 or 3 positional turn ***.
I like the C5 switches too but for safety's sake, I'm willing to change. The active handling button is the same. The 2 position turn **** is for the magnetic ride control settings for tour and sport selection.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:11 PM
droptopc6
Instructor

aww that really sucks! i loved how the c6's switches looked! oh well add it to the huge list of crappy things done to the c6 but i'll still order mine
Old 04-24-2004, 01:58 PM
bdavies
Pro

I prefer a good rocker switch to the membrane switches in the C5. Check out the switches used by BMW, VW and Audi. They have a nice substantial feel to them.

Thanks for the info on the "pull-up" window switches. That explains why they are becoming more common.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:12 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Also, I don't like the cheap grey rubber radio *****.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:13 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: C6 Window switches (BHP)

I'm more than happy to say goodbye to the "membrane" switches. They look cheap, and you have to look at them to see what you are pushing. The new ones will be able to be operation 100% by feel, and they look better.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:17 AM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: C6 Window switches (jschindler)

I thought that he windows were voice command operated in the C6.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I'm more than happy to say goodbye to the "membrane" switches. They look cheap, and you have to look at them to see what you are pushing. The new ones will be able to be operation 100% by feel, and they look better.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:40 AM
HHC5
Melting Slicks

Hernan--I really like your Bush vs. Kerry picture--it's great.

:flag

[Modified by HHC5, 1:42 PM 5/1/2004]
Old 05-01-2004, 09:34 AM
2thDr
Drifting

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Window switches

Old 05-01-2004, 11:10 AM
hb_cpa
Racer

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: C6 Window switches (HHC5)

Old 05-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Chunandler
Safety Car

Default Re: C6 Window switches (hb_cpa)

Old 05-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Silver NJ_Z28
Melting Slicks

I know a lot of people think safety is for foreigners and fruits, but I am all for it, I want a car I can crash at 186MPH and survive
So window switches make you able crash at 186MPH?

Quick Reply: C6 Window switches