C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 02:01 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!!

I asked GM if you could listen to radio or CD at the same time you're using the new nav. sys.. This is the answer .... so since I'm ordering mine I guess it's out of the loop.

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and for your interest in the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette! At this time information is not available on how the DVD Navigation system with MP3 player operates. We anticipate this information to be available once the vehicle is available for purchase. Please keep in touch with your local dealership and us for up to date information regarding this inquiry.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (rbl)

It should work the same way as the XLR's system. Does anyone know how that works???
Old 04-20-2004, 06:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (alex1217)

Where's Z-Rated? He thinks he knows.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Doesn't anyone do a search anymore. This has been answered at least 5 times since January.

Once more, the navigation screen tilts for access to the DVD and CD. There are two slots so you can listen to the CD while using the navigation.

Old 04-20-2004, 08:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (Another Yellow)

Well, I guess that clears up the myth that GM reads this forum. Another Yellow knows what GM dosen't. Dosen't speak very well of GM.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:14 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

At this time information is not available on how the DVD Navigation system with MP3 player operates.
A new wrinkle, though....It states in the ordering guide that MP3 isn't available with the Nav system, it has been posted it is available with the Nav, and now a GM reply says MP3 capability is going to be part of the Nav system.....I wish somebody could get this straight....

Todd
Old 04-20-2004, 10:59 PM
rcws6
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (JoesC5)

Where's Z-Rated? He thinks he knows.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:23 AM
rbl
Drifting

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (Another Yellow)

Another search is irrelevant since no one knows ... all guessing.

It doesn't matter if it has 2 or 4 CD slots. The question remains ... can you navigate AND listen to a CD at the same time?

Maybe the "sixth" answer will be the real one.

It looks like the unit in the XLR is different than what will be offered in the C6. The XLR has a 6 CD caddy and the CD slot is not behind the screen.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Hurricane

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

This isn't rocket science. The DVD unit runs the navigation system and the CD player plays CDs. Of course you can listen to CDs at the same time you use the navigation system.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:07 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (Hurricane)

My concern is, in 5 years the car will still be cool but the Nav system will be a dinosaur so I'm sticking with my portable Garmin.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:49 PM
rbl
Drifting

Quote:

This isn't rocket science. The DVD unit runs the navigation system and the CD player plays CDs. Of course you can listen to CDs at the same time you use the navigation system

Not so fast .... the navigation has voice recognition so who is it listening to ... you or your CD? Do you know it will nav. and play music at the same time or are you assuming it will?

I am ordering my C6 and I certainly don’t want to get stuck. I suspect it will be $$ and I’d like to have it IF…..

I like the Garmin idea ….
Old 04-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Hurricane

Cruise-In I Veteran

Yup.

Also, the Nav system in the newer Acuras is now voice operated and you use both as well.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:18 PM
WadeH
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:
Not so fast .... the navigation has voice recognition so who is it listening to ... you or your CD? Do you know it will nav. and play music at the same time or are you assuming it will?
My Wife's Acura MDX has voice recognition on the navigation system. It is activated by a button on the steering wheel. When you press the button, the audio system is muted, and when your voice command is processed, the audio system resumes.

That said, I agree that these navigation systems are rapidly evolving. I had one on the 911 before I traded it in on the Corvette. The Porsche navigation was a dinosaur compared to the system in the new Acuras. The Acura system is way slick.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:25 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (WadeH)

They are talking some wild GPS systems coming. My Garmin just got upgraded to use the WAAS system, <9' accuracy. I just feel that there will be a hole in the dash that could potentially devalue the car, of course maybe not monetarily but desirability to someone you want to unload the car to.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Twist
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY '03 CTS uses the 2 CD slot configuration for the nav and audio system as well. There's no problem using both at the same time.
However, the CTS has the 6 disc in-dash CD changer and the nav system, so I was REAL surprised to learn that you can't get both options on the 2005 Vette!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

when u guys are LOST, you will be happy to get directions.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:07 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (jimman)

My concern is, in 5 years the car will still be cool but the Nav system will be a dinosaur so I'm sticking with my portable Garmin.
Of course, it isn't like the car devalues over the years as well The nav systems are nice and I know they keep getting better. We have one in our 2002 driver and one in the Caddy. Both system will add value to the vehicles when we resell them.....Now, that C6 with 400hp will probably be devalued when the C6 with the 450hp rating comes along as well....Probably ought to get a portable engine so you don't get a hole in the engine compartment that devalues the car later

Todd

Get notified of new replies

To GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!!

Old 04-23-2004, 11:46 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (Matt Gruber)

I'm leaving Tuesday morning for AZ, UT, NM & CO. haven't been out there in three years . Do you think they might have moved the highways since my last visit? I sure don't want to get lost because some dumb highway worker moved I-40 200 miles to the north last month.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Hurricane

Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!! (JoesC5)

I'm leaving Tuesday morning for AZ, UT, NM & CO. haven't been out there in three years . Do you think they might have moved the highways since my last visit? I sure don't want to get lost because some dumb highway worker moved I-40 200 miles to the north last month.
No, but it will probably be nice to be able to ask the nav system for the nearest restaurant or gas station along the way.....

Nav systems are really more helpful in cities. Try one and see if you like it.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Last time I ran out of gas was around 1975. I don't need a NAV system to tell me to check the gas gauge. Normally, when I plan a trip, I have a good idea where I'll be when it's time to eat and sleep. I make motel reservations in advance. I have to watch my diet very closely. I go to yellow pages.com, before the trip and see what restaurants are in the area that I figure I'll be in when I figure I'll be hungry. If I do a little planning and know where I'm going before I leave the house, I find I have more time to enjoy my trip.
Since the C6 dosen't have any buttons on the steering wheel, how will the NAV syetem know when to listen to the driver and not the radio/CD? Doyou have to take your eyes off the road to search around the dash for a mute button?

Quick Reply: GM doesn't know how the new navigation system works!!