C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it?

Old 01-22-2004, 09:30 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it?

If the C6 is supposed to be all new and soooo much improved, why don't any of the reviews agree? The best I've seen so far is Road & Track's review and it was medicore at best. All the others just touch lightly on the C6 by saying there is a SLIGHT increase in HP. So much for the "next generation" :rolleyes:
Old 01-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Why is it? (JWD01)

Because the writers "don't know" nearly as much as the Corvette Forum Crowd !!!!

:D :D '''''''' :D :D
Old 01-22-2004, 09:36 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Why is it? (Z-Rated)

Because the writers "don't know" nearly as much as the Corvette Forum Crowd !!!!

:D :D '''''''' :D :D
You must be right :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Old 01-22-2004, 09:48 PM
rwm1163
Racer

I am ignoring the reviews until they actually drive one themselves with "closer-to-production" equipment.

In other words, don't worry about it now.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Richard Thomas
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Why is it? (rwm1163)

I am ignoring the reviews until they actually drive one themselves with "closer-to-production" equipment.

In other words, don't worry about it now.
:iagree:

Reviewers are just other people with their own opinions. Just like movie critics, etc.

Rich
Old 01-24-2004, 01:42 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: Why is it? (Richard Thomas)

After listening to numerous TV shows and reading I don't think any of the people in the media business feel that GM brought as much as what was expected to the table. But who is to blame for that! I think that everyone has been so enamored with the C5 they were hoping for another hugh leap from C5 to C6. Well it didn't happen and that's all there is to it. One thing people forget is that the C5 was supposed to come out in 92 so they had 5 more years to get it right before it really came out. the C6 hasn't had as much time to get it right. My .02 :thumbs: :seeya
Old 01-24-2004, 01:53 AM
GDP
Team Owner

None of the press have driven the car. All they have to go on are exterior and numbers like weight, HP, and torque.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:15 AM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Re: Why is it? (GDP)

None of the press have driven the car. All they have to go on are exterior and numbers like weight, HP, and torque.
:iagree:
Old 01-24-2004, 10:47 AM
tT-REXXX
Drifting

Mark my words GM is going to change the form and function of the c6 so many times in the next 5 yrs, the molds won't have time to dry. I think this was a rushed job that has a lot of room for improvement. :jester
Old 01-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Why is it? (tT-REXXX)

:withstupid: Sure they will.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: '''''''' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Old 01-24-2004, 12:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Default Re: Why is it? (Stock Man)

Stockman, I agree with you. GM claims 85% of the car is new by mass. I suspect that most of the "new" parts were required to be able to use the platform for the Caddy. The XLR was a rush job and they had to make the Corvette fit the frame, etc that was required for the new Caddy. Even though the C6 frame is based on the C5's design, it was made for the XLR, so in truth the C6 uses the XLR's frame and suspension, but is modified to fit the C6's requirements. The outside skin changes, interior changes, and the change to the LS2 engine that we have seen on the C6, could have been done to the C5's platform, but then they wouldn't have had a platform for the XLR.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:40 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: Why is it? (JoesC5)

Other than viewing the press cars and maybe having a few specific questions answered, the press hasn't received any more information than we have via the press releases published on Web.

Heck, anyone here can read that info, looks at the photos and write their own review.

Until the press has a chance to actually drive and test the car, there's not much they can say, and they don't know anymore than many of us.

Duke
Old 01-24-2004, 03:39 PM
genemitc
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Why is it? (SWCDuke)

Duke: Amen! What is wrong with these people? Im new to the Corvette world and have never considered owning a Vette til now. I recently traded my 2001 BMW M5 and await my C 6 from Les Stanford, Im # 37 on on their list. All the features of the C 5 series have been sufficiently improved to appeal to this white collar 50 y/o professional. This includes the xenon lites-you/ll never go back to halogen after seeing these. The popups really didnt appeal to me after having them on my 1992 Turbo Stealth. DVD/NAV, drivetrain tweaks,etc. I defy anyone to beat the price/feature breakpoint found in "our" American sportscar! I work hard for my money and feel that this generation C6 maximized all these concerns. Thanks for listening! Gene from Ann Arbor, MI. :flag
Old 01-24-2004, 04:47 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Other than viewing the press cars and maybe having a few specific questions answered, the press hasn't received any more information than we have via the press releases published on Web.

Heck, anyone here can read that info, looks at the photos and write their own review.

Until the press has a chance to actually drive and test the car, there's not much they can say, and they don't know anymore than many of us.

Duke
I'm not talking about an actual performance evaluation. I'm referring to the new car introductions and reviews that cover all the manufactures. I realize they can only address the visual aspects of the cars they cover. My point is that they get all excited about all the new models and comparing them to the previous model year but most don't even mention the Corvette. I would think that since it's supposed to be completely new car and the next generation, that they would give it more coverage. Just an observation, not trying to get anyone upset. :cheers:
Old 01-24-2004, 05:15 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Default Re: Why is it? (genemitc)

Duke: Amen! What is wrong with these people? Im new to the Corvette world and have never considered owning a Vette til now. I recently traded my 2001 BMW M5 and await my C 6 from Les Stanford, Im # 37 on on their list. All the features of the C 5 series have been sufficiently improved to appeal to this white collar 50 y/o professional. This includes the xenon lites-you/ll never go back to halogen after seeing these. The popups really didnt appeal to me after having them on my 1992 Turbo Stealth. DVD/NAV, drivetrain tweaks,etc. I defy anyone to beat the price/feature breakpoint found in "our" American sportscar! I work hard for my money and feel that this generation C6 maximized all these concerns. Thanks for listening! Gene from Ann Arbor, MI. :flag
I've owned my Split Window Coupe for 45 years. I spent a week and 1500 miles with a '00 Z-51 six-speed coupe and 300 mile weekend with a '01 Z06 - both from the GM press fleet.

The Z-51 Coupe was probably the best all around sports car I have ever driven - equally competent in sporting driving, traffic congestion, and touring. The Z06 is a bit harder edged with better acceleration and handling, but still competent in all forms of driving. I just never warmed up to the notchback styling, which exagerates the big butt.

The biggest problem with the Z06 was freeway hop, which GM addressed with the '02 shock recalibration. The other problem was "road roar" transmitted through the rear suspension, which resonates in the trunk, and it's worse on the Hardtop than the Coupe body. GM says the road noise situation has been improved with the C6.

The Z51 C6 coupe appears to combine the best qualities of the C5 coupe and C5 Z06, and it should be a sweet package.

Of course, I'm waiting to see how the new Z06 pans out before making any buying decisions.

Trust me, you will love the C6.

Duke
Old 01-24-2004, 06:20 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

I've owned my Split Window Coupe for 45 years.
Better check your math. Unless of course you have one of those VERY RARE 1959 Split Window Coupe's :rolleyes:
Old 01-24-2004, 08:19 PM
1969stingray1969
Racer

What about all the pictures around the internet about showing them driving them?

Get notified of new replies

To Why is it?

Old 01-25-2004, 12:21 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Better check your math. Unless of course you have one of those VERY RARE 1959 Split Window Coupe's :rolleyes:
Yeah, make that 41 years. It was built March 19, but I took delivery on April Fool's Day, so I consider that its birthday.

The photos released by GM are publicity shots that were probably done by the ad agency with professional models or drivers driving the cars.

Duke

[Modified by SWCDuke, 9:24 PM 1/24/2004]
Old 01-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Default Re: Why is it? (tT-REXXX)

Mark my words GM is going to change the form and function of the c6 so many times in the next 5 yrs, the molds won't have time to dry. I think this was a rushed job that has a lot of room for improvement. :jester
What is so rushed about it to you? It was even delayed once. I don't think time is an issue here.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

If the C6 is supposed to be all new and soooo much improved, why don't any of the reviews agree? The best I've seen so far is Road & Track's review and it was medicore at best. All the others just touch lightly on the C6 by saying there is a SLIGHT increase in HP. So much for the "next generation" :rolleyes:
First point: It isn't supposed to be all new! How many times does this have to be said?

Second point: I missed the part where all the magazines agreeing on something (besides purely technical information) amounted to anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is it?