C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 06:10 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school?

Yes, the car will have your typical corvette driver aids and all but a few other companies offer it. 400 is still alot of power. I remember seeing a website a couple years back that had nothing but recently wrecked Vipers for sale on it. They all had damage in the same area from the same thing for the same reason. People who couldn't handle what that big block was dishing out. If the Z06 has anywhere near the power you'll say it will then perhaps it's time to got he BMW route and let new vette owners learn from pros how to better drive the car near the edge.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:24 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (sharkthehunter77)

Just make sure you drive with traction control / active handling on at ALL times. :blueangel:
Old 01-04-2004, 06:54 AM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (coolcat)

Just make sure you drive with traction control / active handling on at ALL times. :blueangel:
:iagree: Plus if you can not handle it do not get it.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (sharkthehunter77)

Driving schools are always a great way to go, and IMHO the only mod that counts. :steering:

Here are a few links with differnt schools. I am sure the are many many more links too.

East Coast links to HPDE schools

Performance Driving Association http://www.imp-auto.com/pda/pages/schedules.htm

Car Guys http://www.carguys.com/

Track Schedule ( great site :thumbs: ) http://www.trackschedule.com/

Road America, Wisc http://www.speedseekers.com/

If anyone has any West Coast HPDE links, it would be great to have those links too.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

A driving school will never hurt, but what is needed more is just plain common sense. Time and place for everything, a crowded highway is no way to be showing off, nor residentials zones.

Empty parking lots and tracks, yes.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:20 AM
Zivnuska
Le Mans Master

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (Mr Mojo)

A driving school will never hurt, but what is needed more is just plain common sense. Time and place for everything, a crowded highway is no way to be showing off, nor residentials zones.

:iagree:

Bragg-Smith is a great way to go and while I don't want to mandate it, I think some driver training is very very prudent for this level of car. I'm going to head back for level 2 training before I get my Z06.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Loco Vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Loaded like a freight train, flyin' like an aeroplane!
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X-XI Blind Cart Auto-X Champ
CI VI Autocross Champ
CI VIII Autocross Champ
CI VIII Cone-killin' champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (Zivnuska)

Bragg-Smith is a great way to go
:iagree: :iagree: in spades!

www.bragg-smith.com
Old 01-04-2004, 09:33 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (Zivnuska)

I think the state should require special schools and/or tests for

1) High power cars
2) Extremely large and/or high weight cars (such as Excusrions etc.)

I'm tailgated so often by 6000lb Excursions that it makes me really wonder if they realize that their stopping distance is 2x what mine is...

Sorry, not trying to vent. No I don't think Chevy should offer one, but I think the States would be fair to require one (reasonably priced of course).
Old 01-04-2004, 09:34 AM
flagger
Intermediate

They could take a lesson from BMW and their Performance Center Delivery. Perhaps in concert with the R8C option.

You provide your own transportation to Spartenburg SC. BMW picks you up at the airport and puts you and a partner up in the Marriott and provides dinner for two. They pick you up in the morning. Tour of the Z4/X5 plant, tour of the museum and then driver's school at their co-located track in the type of car you purchased, but not your car, be it a 318, M3 or 750. You then pick up your car at the delivery center with all the hoopla of getting a new car, and your on your way. All of the above at no charge including the hotel and dinner. You also have the option of taking one of several different driving classes if you decide to stay on a day or two including their M school which uses the BMW facility and the Michelin test facility down the road.

Nice way to pick up your car.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Joe Anstett
Advanced

People have to learn how to drive their cars responsibly on the road; if you want to **** around, go to a track; and you must know what your car is capable of and what YOU as a driver are capable of. If the car can exceed your capabilities as a driver, you must be aware of it at all times.

This goes for the high school kid in a 70 hp Hyundai or someone leaving the lot with a new C6.

Flagger, I didn't know BMW does that. That's a hell of an idea, I'd be up for a trip to Bowling Green :)

[Modified by Joe Anstett, 9:38 AM 1/4/2004]
Old 01-04-2004, 09:35 AM
-vet
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

GM should be offering "big sticky tires" with a nice soft compound. Why else do all these guys "mini tub" the Z06?
Old 01-04-2004, 12:07 PM
THE LEGEND LIVES
Burning Brakes

...or, how 'bout more strict driver licensing across the board? There are alot of meatheads on the road who have NO CLUE what they're doing or the consequences of their stupidity.

I'm still waiting to see all of the "fun" on the roads when we get some more snow here! :D
Old 01-04-2004, 01:03 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (THE LEGEND LIVES)

While it would be nice and manufacturers like Lamborghini automatically give you this with a purchase try to think about the scale it would be on. Chevy pushes out 30K+ of these things a year. It would have to be a freaking Corvette College to move an average of at least 82 people a day (Usinly "only" 30k) through to make it possible. That would be a huge resource hit.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Silver NJ_Z28
Melting Slicks

You don't have to press the pedal all the way down, you can modulate the power, so if you can't handle it don't buy it. :seeya
Old 01-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (scorp508)

I think it would add to the cost of the Corvette. Something that we don't need. I have raced for years, but all the skill a school or racing can give you wont matter without common sense and consideration on the road. :)
Old 01-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (Rocketblock)

More significant than adding to the cost, bundling a driving school would hurt sales. People who don't want to go to the trouble (or who are offended by the very idea that they need to go to school to learn to drive) would demand a discount for the school they're not attending, and economies of scale being as they are it doesn't work that way...

Plus, a move like this on such a high-volume car might give legislators the idea that such things should be mandatory for all cars over X horsepower, which would be disastrous for GM and the rest of the industry. Best not to poke the sleeping beast.

Bragg-Smith (Nevada), Justin Bell (Florida), and now Bob Bondurant (Arizona) have Corvette driving schools. You northerners are just going to have to travel :-)

I am trying to get into shape to go to driving school this year. A weekend of hard track driving, even with breaks for class time and observation, is no doubt a physically-demanding experience.

.Jinx
Old 01-04-2004, 05:40 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

how about 450+ hp on 6.75X15 tires like back in the 60s. if you think the owners need a driving school with ABS,active handling,traction control that is now on the the corvettes what about us guys back them,what did we need? :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school?

Old 01-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Beaz
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (Mr Mojo)

:iagree: VERY well said.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:29 PM
wilcoxdg
Pro

Bragg-Smith is the way to go!
www.bragg-smith.com
Old 01-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Zen06
Racer

Default Re: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school? (yellow01)

I think the state should require special schools and/or tests for

1) High power cars
2) Extremely large and/or high weight cars (such as Excusrions etc.)

I'm tailgated so often by 6000lb Excursions that it makes me really wonder if they realize that their stopping distance is 2x what mine is...

Sorry, not trying to vent. No I don't think Chevy should offer one, but I think the States would be fair to require one (reasonably priced of course).
:iagree: Me too--all the time. :banghead:

Quick Reply: With 400 hp do you think GM should be offering a driving school?