C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 02:01 PM
jimmcclain@aol.com
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics

*Note - This was originally prepared to be posted on this forum December 24th, but due to having to wait until today for registration approval has only been available on DigitalCorvettes.com where this and other threads I generated have been some of the most visited.

Link to higher quality image:

http://www.newmedia-online.com/C6/C6_Composite_low.jpg

Hello Everybody,

My name is Jim McClain and I have been an avid Car (Muscle cars & Corvettes) and speed enthusiast (Boats, Cycles, Dune Buggies, etc) since I was a small boy and my father and uncle's passed this bug on to me.

Having grown up and actually been lucky enough to experience the family 63 split window, Early 70 stingray, 73 big block, a few late 70's and early 80's vettes as well as the first 84's and 1985's before growing old enough to enter the fray myself in 1987 with my first vette, I consider myself a bit of a Corvette historian. Now 34 years old, I have been the proud owner of 6 of these beasts myself now, including my first used 1987, used 1992 LT1, new 93 40th anniversary, new 96 LT4, new 1999 C5 and current 2003 Z06.

I am also a big Viper enthusiast and current owner of a mint 2000 Dodge Viper GTS ACR in addition to a few other fast toys including a 1992 GMC Typhoon, 2002 Lexus SUV, 502 cu. in. 500+ HP 27' Mirage Race boat and Sea Doo GSX Waverunners. Obviously I like speed and things that look hot like all previous Vettes.

The reason I bring this all up is that, I can be as big a critic as anyone, but I feel the C6 is getting a bad rap by many before anyone should really be judging it until they see it in person.

I own a very sucsesful new media development company in Illinois where we do a lot of design, interactive cd-rom/web/dvd, high def video production, tv commercials, print, 3D animation, special effects and other services. With this, one of the services I commonly provide clients is professional design and digital photography services. (Plug- http://www.bmediaweb.com)

Poor/odd camera angles, magazines that may not want a car to look very flattering, bad choices in colors, bad/distorted scans, poor press photos, etc... all seem to be currently contributing to the current wave of criticism I am reading on many Corvette sites of the C6.

As a result of all this I decided to take the photos I have collected online, do some minor corrections to camera angles on some, cleanup others, improve the color on them and create a compilation piece for all to BETTER judge the new design but NOT cast a final negative vote until they see it in person. Attached is a copy of this work. If you want a high-res version email me and I can send it to you as well - it makes a nice poster.

Overall, I am blown away by the car and I love it. It does not look like a Viper, RX-8 or any other vehicle for that matter and will be recognizable as a true Corvette without question!

The new headlights do change the overall mood of the car slightly, but I feel it does so in a modern year 2005 way that a car of the future needs to stay on top. The pop-ups looked good down, but when they were on, they looked out of date and ruined the lines of the car. With 350Z's, Infiniti's, BMW's and other nice rides all using multiple hid/xenon headlights, I was always envious of these anytime one would pull behind me and make me take notice. In fact the new lights in many ways are a modern version of the conversion many Vette owners did to the early 70's to early 80's vettes when they converted thier pop-ups to the flush headlights for that Daytona look which I always liked.

I also have noticed that many shots of the car do not show how the car will sit and the lines will really flow. Example - the trailer/carrier shot had the rear strapped down and was taken from below the carrier, the AW/MT magazine shots show the rear from a high view and so on. The one recent shot that gives you a good indication of the rear 3/4 view at a normal standing level, although slightly inclined, which has been included in my composite is incredible! It reminds me of a modern remake of the early 70' Vette (one of my personal favorites) but with even more muscle. It has the curvy fenders, flatter/inwardly curved rear end and with the modern door handle placement, new door lines, exhaust area (very exotic/tigershark looking) I think GM did an incredible job with the design of this car based on this shot.

From the front, that one magazine shot everyone keeps basing opinions on should be burned. It over exagerates the nose, which based on any other photo I have seen and is included in my composite, should be much smaller and more exotic along the lines of the Modena.

Outside of these comments and personal opinions I also think some other incredible points to consider with what GM has done includes:

- Offering current Z06 level power with an automatic (great for the female market or those who do a lot of city driving and dont need the extra performance of a stick)
- Providing a Targa coupe/convertible Z06 in essence.
- Providing current Z06 performance at base Corvette pricing.
- The nicest Rims yet with increased dimensions.
- Many hightech gadgets for those who want them that even SUV's, mini vans and sedans now have but were void from the Vette option list (nav, heated seats, XM, etc)
- A nice blend of some retro lines with new technology like the HID headlamps.
- Hopefully a Viper/GT 40 beater with the 500hp Z06 or 625HP Blue Devil. Of special note to GM - please build the Blue Devil and I will be the first one in line to plunk $100k down as the Vette needs a limited supercar version to shut the mouths of all those in the world and show what AMERICAN engineering can do that no others in the world can match - especially based on final price.

Last, can someone please post this message and image link on the other Corvette websites like Corvetteforum as I have been holding on to this composite image and observations for 3 days waiting for registration approval to post it on such other sites.

Thank You and Enjoy!

[Modified by jimmcclain@aol.com, 7:04 PM 12/28/2003]

[Modified by jimmcclain@aol.com, 7:06 PM 12/28/2003]

[Modified by jimmcclain@aol.com, 7:29 PM 12/28/2003]

[Modified by jimmcclain@aol.com, 8:44 AM 12/29/2003]

[Modified by jimmcclain@aol.com, 8:45 AM 12/29/2003]
Old 12-28-2003, 02:08 PM
jimmcclain@aol.com
Intermediate

Default Re: NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics (jimmcclain@aol.com)

One additional thought

Dear Mr Hill and Mr. Lutz,

If you do frequent these forums as many have suggested and run across my comments and images and like what you see, please consider contacting me and taking a look at my companies website http://www.bmediaweb.com.

I have always valued the Videos, Website, Brochures and CD-ROM's provided to market, train and support the owners of Corvettes. I also can't wait for the rumored TV commericals featuring the C6. As such, I have always wanted to contact you and prove to you that I can provide you with much better materials across all mediums and under one roof.

I recently read about GM's desire to find new fresh companies, small or large to help improve your brands.

Hopefully, my improved rendition of the C6 and experienced opinion helps turn some of the negative comments I have been reading based on a lot of bad choices in terms of press shots, color selections and so on that people are using to base an opinion.

My company is working with some of the largest companies in the world such as Intuit (Turbotax and Quickbooks fame), Coca-Cola, Ameritrade, US Post Office, Transamerica, Edy's/Dreyer's and many others. We have also won many awards for our work and would very much like to work with you.

We have developed many proprietary technologies I would like to utilize in a one of a kind C6 website, CD-ROM and video, that we could talk more about in detail if interested.

I think you can not do better than finding someone in my position, with my companies portfolio/expertise and being a life long Corvette enthusiast as I have been. Only a true lifelong Corvette enthusiast can express the feelings one has for this car through the materials we could produce for you, rather than some adjency director who probably drives a Porsche.

If anybody else who reads this forum can help pass this message on to Mr. Hill or Mr. Lutz this would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Jim McClain
President, bmedia http://www.bmediaweb.com
Old 12-28-2003, 02:47 PM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics (jimmcclain@aol.com)

Welcome! Very nice composite. One small request though. There is a new front 3/4 view that could be added (or subsititued in) to your composite. It's one of the best images so far.

:thumbs:
Old 12-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Daryl
Pro

Default Re: NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics (Z-Rated)

Thanks for posting. :cool:
Old 12-28-2003, 02:58 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics (Z-Rated)

Very nice! :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 12-28-2003, 03:00 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Hey Jim" welcome to the forum. :thumbs: :cheers:
Old 12-28-2003, 03:23 PM
coolcat
Race Director

I just e-mailed Mr. McClain a request for a high res-version of his C6 poster. I think it looks great! Hope he can make one up featuring a black C6. :)
Old 12-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Default Re: NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics (coolcat)

:cool:
Old 12-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Jammer
Race Director

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

:cheers: :cool: :cool:
Old 12-28-2003, 05:03 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Thanks Jim !
Old 12-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks good! Can you try another angle to do something with that steering wheel! :lol:
Old 12-30-2003, 11:01 AM
jimmcclain@aol.com
Intermediate

Default Re: NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics

Thank you for all the great feedback on these renderings which I quickly put together a few nights ago and were intended to be one possible direction GM/Chevrolet could go with the Z06 or Blue Devil as well as the other images I put together in other threads.

If you read some of my other threads you will see that I am hoping to be able to get in touch with Mr. Lutz or Mr. Hill to help produce new upcoming owners videos, interactive cd-roms, dealership kiosks, a killer C6 launch site, print materials and other media that my company currently produces for many large clients including Coca-Cola, Intuit, Ameritrade, Edy's/Dreyers, US Post Office, etc...

So far no responses from anyone at GM ??? (Mr. Lutz, Mr. Hill if you or anyone associated with you are reading these forums, please drop me an email, I would love to talk with you.)

Jim McClain
President, bmedia http://www.bmediaweb.com

Old 01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
jimmcclain@aol.com
Intermediate

I just wanted to say I can't wait for the new C6 to start delivery and I just got off the phone with the largest Corvette dealer in Illinois, where I put my deposit down and am #9 on their list.

I will be trading in my 03 Millenium Yellow Z06 at that time and will likely trade the C6 Coupe in the following year when the new Z06 or Super Vette appears.

Even though Corvettes are an exspensive hobby, theres just no way to resist such an exciting car and I can't wait to tear up the streets of Chicago this summer!!!

Jim McClain
Old 01-05-2004, 01:15 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Gotta give the guy credit, he's great at advertising. :)

Get notified of new replies

To NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics

Quick Reply: NEW!!! revised images for ALL C6 styling critics