C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 08:59 PM
wilcoxdg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson

1/1/04, 12:01 AM
When the GM webcast crashes at 12:00 midnight, just go here and read the review.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...threadid=41329
Old 12-26-2003, 11:15 PM
C4FantaC
Instructor

Default Re: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson (wilcoxdg)

I used to frequent that site. H. H. is a regular there and I don't value his opnions much. He is to far up GMs Butt.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson (C4FantaC)

it the only thing Hib Halverson can say. Because of this. I need someone elses review.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:40 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I used to frequent that site. H. H. is a regular there and I don't value his opnions much. He is to far up GMs Butt.
I disagree and do value Hib's opinions and for that reason I'm getting pretty excited about the C6 :cheers:
Old 12-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Thud
Team Owner

By now, we've all learned to believe the exact opposite of everything you say.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:35 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Default Re: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson (Thud)

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-27-2003, 01:33 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

I've never been impressed with anything he has to say. I'm still not. :rolleyes:
Old 12-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

:lolg:

C4FantaC is just someone who was pissed off at me and the Action Center because I criticized and disagreed with some of his views. Actually, :lol: he ought to be careful posting such graphic descriptions of my relationship with General Motors. His friends in the gay activist community might not take to such descriptiveness very well.

But...(no pun intended)...if you want to see how far "up GM's butt" I really am, take a look at this excerpt from "The Real McCoy," my article about the 2005 Corvette, which will be posted at the Corvette Action Center about 15-min. after midnight tomorrow.

Chief Engineer, Dave Hill, took the stage; I was pumped. I was finally gonna see, up-close, the sixth-generation of America's Sports Car. Hill talked a bit, then a car cover snapped back revealing a stunning, Daytona Sunset Orange, 2005 Corvette Coupe. Holy crap! I thought, Is that sucker bitchin' or what?

Yep. It's a Vette. Little doubt of that. But wow! In your face, fixed lights. Five inches shorter and an inch narrower. Just a little bit lighter. Noticeably C2/C3-ish. New base engine with fifty more horsepower. All new suspension and steering. New Goodyear tires, 18s in the front. 19s out back. Nicer interior. Cool, new electronic gadgetry. Whoa...welcome to Cee-freakin'-Six, people!

Personally, I think the '05's headlights look pretty damn cool and are a refreshing change from 42 years of pop-up lights. Having them fixed finally gives Corvette lighting with which to go fast in the dark along with a "flash-to-pass" feature. Both those attributes are very useful improvements whereas the old pop-ups, while loved by designers, were about as useful as Paris Hilton at an engineering seminar.

While we have yet to test a 2005--that opportunity will not come until the car's "second" press preview to be held this coming May--we're going to guess that the first characteristic a sporting driver will notice about a C6 compared to a C5 is that the car performs just a bit better but achieves that better performance in a more refined and quieter manner.

Considering the C6 Z51's weight (probably around 3200 lbs), that it has the '01-'04 Z06 transmission ratios, that it has 50 more horsepower and it's got better tires on the back, we'll say it should do the quarter in...
Wanna read more?

Go to http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com at 12:15 AM EST tomorrow.
(11:15 Cen, 10:15 Mtn and 9:15 Pac)

[Modified by Hib Halverson, 5:28 PM 12/31/2003]
Old 12-31-2003, 08:28 PM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Default Re: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson (Hib Halverson)

I used to frequent that site. H. H. is a regular there and I don't value his opnions much. He is to far up GMs Butt.:lolg:

C4FantaC is just someone who was pissed off at me and the Action Center because I criticized and disagreed with some of his views. Actually, :lol: he ought to be careful posting such graphic descriptions of my relationship with General Motors. His friends in the gay activist community might not take to such descriptiveness very well.

But...(no pun intended)...if you want to see how far "up GM's butt" I really am, take a look at this excerpt from "The Real McCoy," my article about the 2005 Corvette, which will be posted at the Corvette Action Center about 15-min. after midnight tomorrow.

Chief Engineer, Dave Hill, took the stage; I was pumped. I was finally gonna see, up-close, the sixth-generation of America's Sports Car. Hill talked a bit, then a car cover snapped back revealing a stunning, Daytona Sunset Orange, 2005 Corvette Coupe. Holy crap! I thought, Is that sucker bitchin' or what?

Yep. It's a Vette. Little doubt of that. But wow! In your face, fixed lights. Five inches shorter and an inch narrower. Just a little bit lighter. Noticeably C2/C3-ish. New base engine with fifty more horsepower. All new suspension and steering. New Goodyear tires, 18s in the front. 19s out back. Nicer interior. Cool, new electronic gadgetry. Whoa...welcome to Cee-freakin'-Six, people!

Personally, I think the '05's headlights look pretty damn cool and are a refreshing change from 42 years of pop-up lights. Having them fixed finally gives Corvette lighting with which to go fast in the dark along with a "flash-to-pass" feature. Both those attributes are very useful improvements whereas the old pop-ups, while loved by designers, were about as useful as Paris Hilton at an engineering seminar.

While we have yet to test a 2005--that opportunity will not come until the car's "second" press preview to be held this coming May--we're going to guess that the first characteristic a sporting driver will notice about a C6 compared to a C5 is that the car performs just a bit better but achieves that better performance in a more refined and quieter manner.

Considering the C6 Z51's weight (probably around 3200 lbs), that it has the '01-'04 Z06 transmission ratios, that it has 50 more horsepower and it's got better tires on the back, we'll say it should do the quarter in...

Wanna read more?

thanks for the story. I will be checking back at 12:15am to read the rest....

Thanks Hib...

Old 12-31-2003, 09:01 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Hib has made more informed, educated, and entertaining advance content available on free sites than anybody else in the Corvette universe.

Even if you don't agree with everything this particular writer/reviewer/critic/enthusiast has to say, you're still better off having read it.

.Jinx
Old 12-31-2003, 09:15 PM
ZR1991
Drifting

Default Re: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson (Jinx)

That's right, it doesn't matter how tight Hib is with GM. He still has a lot of experience (as I recall, he was in one of the first groups to preview the ZR1 before it was publically shown).

Hell, if a Corvette engineer was writing the piece, it would still be a good read. Hib and I have had different opinions before, but I still enjoy and respect his work.

And Hib is a died in the wool Corvette enthusiast... About that there is no doubt. I am glad he is posting the news for us. I don't see anyone else who was there taking the time to report specifically to us.

Think about it before you criticize.
;)
Old 12-31-2003, 09:17 PM
TAL
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson (jim482)

Ahhhh....so the Z51 equipped C6 has the 2.97 first geared Z06 tranny.

So it seems the Z51 package is gonna be a killer package........

Old 12-31-2003, 09:19 PM
1969stingray1969
Racer

Default Re: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson (TAL)

midnight on the east coast or what???
Old 12-31-2003, 09:32 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson (TAL)

:iagree: w/Jinx & ZR1991. Should be interesting & informative.

I believe the times are posted above, 12:15am EST, 11:15pm CST, 9:15pm PST.

Old 12-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Targa C5
Burning Brakes

I used to frequent that site. H. H. is a regular there and I don't value his opnions much. He is to far up GMs Butt.:lolg:

Wanna read more?

Not to knock your article, but I just wanted to state that you are technically incorrect when you say "42 years of pop-up lights." Published works with incorrect information like this help to propagate the notion that Corvettes since 1963 have only had pop-up/flip-up headlights and that this implementation is the only way to do concealed headlights. 1963-1967 had "roll-over" headlights. 1984-1996 also had roll-over although the final configuration made them look similar to pop-ups. Only 1968-1982 and 1997-2004 had pop-up/flip-up headlights. Other designs for concealed headlights are also possible but were never put into production.

Can't wait to read your full article. :cheers:
Old 12-31-2003, 11:34 PM
RutsRup
Instructor

"Having them fixed finally gives Corvette lighting with which to go fast in the dark..."

Hib, I've always found your writing interesting, but the speed of light doesn't go any faster for a $150,000 Ferrari than it does for a $20,000 Cavalier.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson (RutsRup)

"Having them fixed finally gives Corvette lighting with which to go fast in the dark..."

Hib, I've always found your writing interesting, but the speed of light doesn't go any faster for a $150,000 Ferrari than it does for a $20,000 Cavalier.
So if you were driving fast on a dark country road, would you prefer to drive with state of the art HID's or a couple candles mounted on the front bumper? :skep:

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson

Old 01-01-2004, 12:21 AM
the oz
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When pop-up lights are revealed, they cause additional drag for the car.

Aerodynamics, pretty basic stuff.

That's what was meant
Old 01-01-2004, 12:12 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

As you well know, "All lights are NOT created equal". The speed of light is fixed. Getting good illumination down the road is another matter all together.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

:lol:
Yeah, I guess I didn't phrase that very well.

What I meant to say was that finally, the car has lights which project out far enough and are bright enough such that you don't overdrive them when running fast at night. I remember the first time I tried the C5s lights in a fast-at-night environment during a map-type monte carlo rally on which I was running a 98. I was surprised at how inadequate the stock lighting was at over 80 mph.

Quick Reply: C6 Road Test - Hib Halverson