C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is C6 the First Real "Parts Bin" Corvette? I Think Thats the REAL Problem here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 01:36 AM
orgrg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is C6 the First Real "Parts Bin" Corvette? I Think Thats the REAL Problem here. (Valleybacker)

Sharing parts with the xlr is not a bad thing. If you're going to share parts from a car from gm, the xlr is the best one to get them from.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:01 AM
C4FantaC
Instructor

Default Re: Is C6 the First Real "Parts Bin" Corvette? I Think Thats the REAL Problem here. (Valleybacker)

Yes ValleyBacker this is EXACTLY what im trying to say. :iagree:
Old 12-26-2003, 02:14 AM
scourge
Advanced

Default Re: Is C6 the First Real "Parts Bin" Corvette? I Think Thats the REAL Problem here. (C4FantaC)

Before you know it C6 will just be another Chevy with a 50K price tag.

As a fan of the C6 and not as a hater, I will break it to you that that is what the Vette has been for many many years.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:09 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Re: Is C6 the First Real "Parts Bin" Corvette? I Think Thats the REAL Problem here. (C4FantaC)

C6's greatness, or lack thereof, has NOTHING to do with XLR.

Corvette has both given parts to, and taken parts from, the GM parts bin from its inception.

As for a common look with other GMs -- GM *wishes* that were the case. C6's nose might remind some of us of a lot of other sports cars, and the C6 interior might remind some of us of a lot of other non-sports cars, but aside from the frankly weird steering-wheel comparisons (and I gotta say I just don't see the "striking" similarity to other Chevy steering wheels -- it's obviously stolen from a video game console, not a car!) nobody else around here is saying that C6 looks like other GMs...

.Jinx

[Modified by Jinx, 12:09 AM 12/26/2003]
Old 12-26-2003, 03:19 AM
1978Vette
Instructor

Default Re: Is C6 the First Real "Parts Bin" Corvette? I Think Thats the REAL Problem here. (J-Rod)

GM has always raided the parts bin. The nice thing about thart is that replacement parts are more avaliable, and thus cheaper. Many automakers do this. Lexus steal from the Toyota line for many of its parts, why shouldn't GM. But, agreed, I still don't like the sterring wheel...
Lexus = rebadged toyota

IS300 = Toyota Altezza

Lexus doesnt steal anything. Toyota just decided to rebadge its high end cars and give it a different name in the states to milk more money. :)
Old 12-26-2003, 05:36 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

53-62 Corvette- complete 49 Chevy front end assembly, motor (minus the intake) & trans
63-67 Corvette- 58 Impala A-frames, power steering, door handles, fuse box, motor and trans- [I]even tail lights
68-82 Corvette- all the aforementioned C-2 parts (except for the tail lights and fuse box), along with a Vega steering wheel in the '77 Corvette

:crazy: :lol: :lol: :crazy:
And I'm sure the C-4 and C-5's have similar lists-
Old 12-26-2003, 11:53 AM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

the corvette has a GM TRUCK ENGINE does that make it a parts bin car???? :chevy
Old 12-27-2003, 10:53 AM
THE LEGEND LIVES
Burning Brakes

It's all about survival in a highly-competitive industry...if parts-sharing keeps the costs down and helps to ensure the longevity of the marque, then I'm all for it! :thumbs:

...maybe, just maybe, that's why the Corvette has been around for 50 years, while others have come and gone?

Quick Reply: Is C6 the First Real "Parts Bin" Corvette? I Think Thats the REAL Problem here.