C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 01:14 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups

I'm amazed that no one has pointed out that the C6 will be the first corvette since the first year C1 that will not have a bright red color option. The red that we've all seen on the san fran pics is called Precision Red and is more a metallic mag red. Vette Magazine had an article about this in this month's issue (which means they knew before we did) which mentioned the fact that they spoke with a GM insider and he mentioned that there have been some serious differences of opinion, since Torch red (and all previous bright reds) have always been a corvette tradition and that GM seems to be taking the C6 in a totally different direction, which disturbs alot of people who have worked with Corvette for years. Seems to me that the GM bigwigs want to cater more to different markets rather than satisfy the current corvette owners and traditionalist. That explains the lack of popup lights, a more "European feel and size" etc. One other thing that the article mentioned was the fact that the GM Insider mentioned that GM definitely wants to move the corvette to a more upscale market (which would explain better interior, DVD Nav, etc.) and because of this, the base price will definitely start at around 60k!! The increase in technology, return on investment, and increase in better quality/lighter materials will certainly increase the price and again "caters to a different market" which has a few GM people nervous. All this does makes sense. GM knows that most people who buy corvettes will pay that amount if they get the better materials/accessories since half the people here have spent 10k or more in upgraded interior, better stereos, DVD Nav, Performance mods etc. GM is just supplying this need themselves. Plus, with the new Pontiac GTO, the CTS-V and the possible return of the camaro/firebird. There's no way the corvette can stay in a below 50k base price range. Better start saving your pennies guys and if you really like Torch Red, better talk to Maaco!

[Modified by alex1217, 1:17 PM 12/4/2003]
Old 12-04-2003, 01:18 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (alex1217)

Islandhopper said that the S.F. pic color was the mag red metallic 2 , not the new precision red. Of course, since he wasn't from GM, I wonder how he knew. ;) My guess is that precion red is very close to torch red with less of an orange tint.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:20 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (alex1217)

They have both precision red and magnetic red. I doubt that the colors are that close so the SanFran car was probably magnetic red. And precision red will probably still be red :cool:
Old 12-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (need-for-speed)

Its strange that GM would have a low volume color like Mag Red in its commercials for the new C6 since Precision Red (whatever it looks like) will most likely be the most popular color like Torch Red was. Then again, why would GM have a dark cherry red metallic color and sell Mag red at the same time? That wouldn't be much of a choice unless the amount of flake in the Precision Red and deep color really differentiates itself from Mag Red.

[Modified by alex1217, 1:29 PM 12/4/2003]
Old 12-04-2003, 01:29 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

And you don't think a base start price of 45K isn't an upscale market???

Come on, STOP and think for a second what would happen to the vette (and worse yet the community) if the base price was $60K !!!

What do you think the current household income levels for the vette now? With a base of $60K+ that would probably leave the vettes to the almost 200K household income segment... or probably a smaller percentage of even the current C5 demographic.

GM has nothing to gain from doing a 15K+ jump in base price, except to alienate the massive community that IS CORVETTE !
Old 12-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (H82BFST)

And you don't think a base start price of 45K isn't an upscale market???

Come on, STOP and think for a second what would happen to the vette (and worse yet the community) if the base price was $60K !!!

What do you think the current household income levels for the vette now? With a base of $60K+ that would probably leave the vettes to the almost 200K household income segment... or probably a smaller percentage of even the current C5 demographic.

GM has nothing to gain from doing a 15K+ jump in base price, except to alienate the massive community that IS CORVETTE !
According to the RPO list that was posted up before and other threads, Active handling, Remote push button startup just like the XLR as well as 18/19 wheels etc. will be standard so it will certainly bump up the price of the corvette. When the C4 to C5 transition took place, GM was able to save alot of money by designing the C5 with less parts and using new manufacturing techniques. The C5 to C6 transition was not designed with this in mind, in fact, it may have lighter meaning more expensive parts and certainly not less of them. 60k does seem like much but it certainly will not cost 45k like the C5 base does. 50k would seem about right but who knows.

[Modified by alex1217, 1:45 PM 12/4/2003]
Old 12-04-2003, 02:13 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GM may learn the same lesson as BMW, but I hope not. BMW introduced the Z4 at an "upscale" price to compete with the Boxster. The Z4 is now selling at $7K off list in its first year. Of course, you can now buy a nice Boxster S new off the lot for $44K, $10K off list. I can't believe GM would be so stupid as to come out with a base price above $45K in this economy, but then again, I never thought the BMW guys were dumb either.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:21 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (SteveJ)

Whooooa! What did I miss? Who said there will not be a bright red? Has someone out there seen Precision Red? My bet is that the new painting procedures (improved thanks to the shared XLR paint booth) enables them to make some improvement in the paint and they renamed torch red. GM has read ACAR and they look at the sales by color. NO WAY would they drop bright red from the color chart.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:41 PM
C6-XTSY
Racer

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (SteveJ)

GM may learn the same lesson as BMW, but I hope not. BMW introduced the Z4 at an "upscale" price to compete with the Boxster. The Z4 is now selling at $7K off list in its first year. Of course, you can now buy a nice Boxster S new off the lot for $44K, $10K off list. I can't believe GM would be so stupid as to come out with a base price above $45K in this economy, but then again, I never thought the BMW guys were dumb either.
Well, the controversial styling of the Z4 didn't help...

But back to the vette...I think that's why they have the stripped down version (1SX). Kinda like how the BMW M3 lists for $46K. But you'll never see a BMW driving around like that because BMW drivers demand the luxuries, etc. However, it is available.

The stripped C6 (1SX) sounds very similiar to the current C5's features. This allows the vette drivers that either don't want the frills or simply can't afford a higher priced car to still own one. Meanwhile, the added features will lure in new buyers because they can now get things such as heated seats, side-impact air bags, etc. which are considered "luxury" items.

Porsche does this, BMW does this, and I'm sure many others do this. I think it's a good model. You don't have to have heated seats but it's available if you should desire it. Anybody who thinks the current C5 is good enough (options wise) can order the 1SX.

[Modified by C6-XTSY, 1:44 PM 12/4/2003]
Old 12-04-2003, 02:45 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (LongTimer)

Whooooa! What did I miss? Who said there will not be a bright red? Has someone out there seen Precision Red? My bet is that the new painting procedures (improved thanks to the shared XLR paint booth) enables them to make some improvement in the paint and they renamed torch red. GM has read ACAR and they look at the sales by color. NO WAY would they drop bright red from the color chart.
:iagree:
Old 12-04-2003, 03:42 PM
gnosys
Drifting

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (lager99)

Whooooa! What did I miss? Who said there will not be a bright red? Has someone out there seen Precision Red? My bet is that the new painting procedures (improved thanks to the shared XLR paint booth) enables them to make some improvement in the paint and they renamed torch red. GM has read ACAR and they look at the sales by color. NO WAY would they drop bright red from the color chart. :iagree:
:iagree: :iagree:

Precision Red will no doubt be the brighter red. Many people, myself and my son included, do not like Torch Red, as it is much too orange.

The C6 will not start at 60K for base model, but don't be surprised to see heavily-optioned 1SB 'verts to break the 60K sticker mark. GM has intimated base price for 1SX will be close to 2004 pricing (mid-40s). :cheers:
Old 12-04-2003, 03:47 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (C6-XTSY)

The price issue is another reason I have my target date set to 2007. I would hate to give up the HUD, but I can definitely see getting the 1SX with Z-51 if I'm wrong and the higher price point rumor is true and the price holds. It's not that I can't afford a $60K Vette, it's just I wouldn't buy one. We're talking about the same Chevrolet service, and the same design bug problems we have always known, unless there are some big changes in these areas we don't know about. My 2000 coupe sure doesn't feel old to me. It's a lot tighter and more trouble free than my earlier Vettes were at the same mileage.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

the base price will definitely start at around 60k!! ]
When the prices are announced and you're proven wrong, please post again and say so.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:53 PM
gnosys
Drifting

Steve, that's a dilemma lots of folks will face. I want a nice, light Vette, but no way do I want to give up HUD (especially with that G-meter) and sport seat availability.
The 1SX may also really suffer in re-sale if one should want to get a Z or whatever the Hi Power model will be. :yesnod:
Old 12-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Darth Xed
Racer

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (gnosys)

I think it's rather obvious that Precision Red will replace Torch Red as the "Bright Red" color... there is no way in hell that they are not going to offer a bright red color...

The pics from San Fran are definately Mag Red...

It's also been said by a GM official (Wilkerson, I believe) that C6 will start around where the C5 starts, around $44k...

[Modified by Darth Xed, 9:05 PM 12/4/2003]
Old 12-04-2003, 04:06 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Good!!! Torch red needed to be replaced. Ever put a Torch Red Corvette next to a red Viper? It made the vette look orange! Hopefully Precision Red will be a bit more "precise".
Old 12-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Hurricane

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: (scorp508)

Good!!! Torch red needed to be replaced. Ever put a Torch Red Corvette next to a red Viper? It made the vette look orange! Hopefully Precision Red will be a bit more "precise".
I've never been a fan of Torch Orange, er, I mean Torch Red.....

I am also hopeful that Precision Red will be more "red" - more fire engine red than orange red.....

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups

Old 12-04-2003, 05:05 PM
Hernan
Drifting

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (Another Yellow)

the base price will definitely start at around 60k!! ]

When the prices are announced and you're proven wrong, please post again and say so.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could see it topping out there for the coupe with nav and magnetic suspension.... but starting NFW.
:rolleyes:
Old 12-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Fast98
Safety Car

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (Hernan)

Base price 60 grand they will no way in hell sell 35,000 cars a year! :lol:
Old 12-04-2003, 06:06 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default Re: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups (Fast98)

$60 would be a 25% price hike. I see no way the General would make that kind of a mistake. I expect a $45-48 1SX and up from there with a well optioned coupe at 50-55 and a full boat vert topping 60. But not the base car. That'd be suicidal.

Quick Reply: All Corvettes are NOT Red: Torch Red suffers same fate as popups