C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 10:26 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Default Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6?

I have to admit, I was expecting more of a skin change. Unless I'm missing something (or maybe it's just the pictures), you almost have to look twice to realize it's not a C5.

When you take into account the styling of the C1, then the dramatic departure of the C2 Stingray, then a totally different look to the C3 Shark, then a whole new look to the C4 Vette, and the ever famous look of the C5 that drew rave reviews, the C6 really looks more like what I would have thought an "in-generation" body style change to the C5 that should have been.

Call me crazy/confused :crazy: :D

(watch - as soon as I see it I'll have to have one!) :jester

[Modified by TOBASCO, 9:27 PM 12/2/2003]
Old 12-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (TOBASCO)

I was hoping for a bit more aggressive styling too, but they (GM) made it pretty clear evolutionary vs revolutionary.
I think it’s a pretty sharp looking car. Plus with the interior upgrades, Navi, On-star (stuff I think it should have had for years) the overall car will be a major improvement.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:11 AM
Finch
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (Yano)

Not disappointed. I'm not really sure what everyone was expecting, however...a more drastic change kind of like that of the Gen II Viper to the Gen III...or perhaps the old 5 and 7 Series BMWs to the new? (I personally like these cars well enough but everyone else mostly hates them :lol: ) I would say don't mess with something that works. I thoroughly enjoy the looks of the new CLK and E class MBs, for example, and they are very similar to their predecessors. While some drastic changes work in model lines, I would say it would be a waste for GM to diverge far from what has worked well in the recent past. It's like this Corvette is a cleaner, sharper, better built C5 with better features, engineering etc....so I'm not sure how people that like the C5 can vehemently dislike this. Take it objectively...whether it were a new generation or not, is it a good looking design? I would say quite emphatically yes :thumbs:
Old 12-03-2003, 01:16 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (TOBASCO)

It's just you, I love the way it looks. Even moreso than I love the C5's looks. :yesnod: :cool:
Old 12-03-2003, 02:21 AM
orgrg
Advanced

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (GDP)

The looks always grew on people. Just about all cars that perform have their looks grow on people. *cough*wrx*cough*
Old 12-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Teuffelhunde
Burning Brakes

Well I'll be the odd one out and say that I'm exceptionally disappointed with the C6. Making a new generation Corvette followed with all of the hype and what we get is an upgraded C5!! There was a more drastic change in the Corvette from '77 to '78 and that wasn't a new generation! It's cheap capitalistic ploys like this that make me like Bob Lutz, GM and most of the large corporations like it less and less. Always about the money; never about the customer or product. Don't confuse the issue, I still love Corvettes and I think that the "C6" is a nice car, but it is far from worthy of a new generation designation. I thank you for your time .:bows and steps down from the soap box:.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I have to admit, I was expecting more of a skin change. Unless I'm missing something (or maybe it's just the pictures), you almost have to look twice to realize it's not a C5.
I keep seeing these statements and I have a very hard time understanding them. The only thing that I see in the C6 that even remotely resembles the C5 may be the glass area. The rear is very much early C4 while the fenders, front and rear, are very much C3. And a case can be made for the nose resembling the C3. To me, there is very little C5 in the looks of the C6 but alot of Corvette history in the lines. :)

tom...
Old 12-03-2003, 10:03 AM
V8 ETE
Advanced

I think the rear window is tooooo long, apart from that it is fine.
I hope it has a big butt like the C5 for that supercar look!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Hernan
Drifting

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (GDP)

It's just you, I love the way it looks. Even moreso than I love the C5's looks. :yesnod: :cool:
:withstupid: :steering:
Old 12-03-2003, 10:39 AM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (Hernan)

I’m not disappointed YET! I love the looks of C5 so I’m happy C6 isn’t too dissimilar.
I’m mostly looking forward MAJOR performance improvements.
So far there’s not enough info about that (just about all the gizmos – which are nice)

There’s no weight numbers yet, but it sounds like coupe/vert performance will be so – so :sleep: …
Hopefully the new Z06 will really up the antsy and not just in HP.
I’m hoping for lower weight , bigger tires, dare I ask for REAL brakes? :rolleyes:, and hopefully bigger displacement (so that it could be easer modded for more HP)

Couple that with looks that separate it from coupe/vert and I might actually consider it (as much as I would hate not having a convertible :( )

I’m also looking forward the info whether or not the motor parts are innterchangable with Ls1/6 platform.
It would suck if we had to wait another 5 years for aftermarket to REALLY shine for these cars.

Bottom line we don’t know almost anything about C6 yet, just some minor details….

P.S. One thing thing that I love about C6 is that Z51 comes with engine, tranny and power-steering coolers – that’s AWESOME and means you probably wont’ have to mod that at all for road racing! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 12-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Walford
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (V8 ETE)

I think the rear window is tooooo long, apart from that it is fine.
I hope it has a big butt like the C5 for that supercar look!
I don't get people who don't like the rear window. I LOVE the classic, 60's-style fastback look it gives the car.

But, I agree that it looks too much like a C5. However, from a distance I still have trouble distinguishing C4's and C5's, so, whatever. :D
Old 12-03-2003, 11:06 AM
funshipone
Racer

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (Walford)

I will wait until seen in real life before making a decision on design. I hope spy shots don't show how it realy looks usally photographs will not capture the beauty.
I went to Cadillac dealer other day sat in new XLR, and also gave it over all look photo's don't do it justice.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

No disappointment for me. My C5 will be on the block sometime this summer. I want a new C6.

Tom
Old 12-03-2003, 02:01 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (Teuffelhunde)

There was a more drastic change in the Corvette from '77 to '78 and that wasn't a new generation!
I understand your position, but this is just an emotional statement with no supporting fact ( I own a 76 & a 79):
77 to 78:
1. New rear glass and roofline.
2. Same from rear edge of door forward to, and including the front bumper.
3. Same rear bumper.
4. Same rear fender shape, modified only to accept the new glass.
4. Same, identical chassis.
5. VERY minor engine changes (smog years).
7. Wheel design remained unchanged.

04 to 05:
1. Not a single interchangable body panel.
2. Only the windshield glass is not changed.
3. Chassis may carry many components over, but frame and brakes (not retrofitable to C5) are new with a 1.2" longer wheel base.
4. Completely redesigned interior - upgraded materials and options.
5. New generation VVT engines with significantly higher output.
6. Replacement of popups with HID headlights.
7. New EMTs and wheels.

Essentially the C6 is almost new from the ground up. Your issue is really with the choice to evolve the popular C5 design rather than try something new and daring. Many of us may question that decision. But it is done. It looks great, if not revolutionary, and will very likely the best vette ever.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:04 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (Walford)

However, from a distance I still have trouble distinguishing C4's and C5's, so, whatever. :D
Hell, I have a hard time distinguishing late model Camaros from C5s from really far away. The DRLs make it hard to tell.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:10 PM
gnosys
Drifting

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (AFVETTE)

No disappointment for me. My C5 will be on the block sometime this summer. I want a new C6.
Tom
:iagree: :iagree: Already put a deposit down! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Red Roaster
Advanced

I am very astonished with the handsome design of the new C6, it is virtually rebuilt from the ground up. It is very bold, agressive, and even though some of the dimensions are smaller (exterior) it still maintains its brawny attitude. :thumbs::thumbs:-to the new C6 I say!

Get notified of new replies

To Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6?

Old 12-03-2003, 03:53 PM
Karl Johanson
Drifting

(watch - as soon as I see it I'll have to have one!)

Hope you remember where you got the last one. :lol:
Old 12-03-2003, 04:28 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (Karl Johanson)

Hope you remember where you got the last one
I do :D
Old 12-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Karl Johanson
Drifting

Default Re: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6? (EuG)

Thanks Gene :steering:
Hope you remember where you got the last one
I do :D

Quick Reply: Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with what may be the new C6?