C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the real deal for the c6

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 03:46 PM
cramey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default actual specifications for c6

Let's talk important issues, given the latest info I've seen.

That would be Wheelbase and Track, overhang to some extent, weight, real power, wheel and tire size, suspension tuning and adjustability, and gearing.

wheelbase, longer than current car by 1-2"? I don't see how that is possible if the car is 4 " shorter.

In the pics, the overhang is not significantly different from the c5.

Weight? If the car actually is shorter, and has magnesium alloy subframes, that is some weight loss compared to the c5. Maybe 20 pounds in the subs, and who knows, maybe 10-50 for less material in the shortened car.

Aluminum frame? Not what I've heard; I've heard variable thickness hydroformed steel, which could likely shed 50 or so from a uniform thickness c5 frame.

Interior any lighter? I seriously doubt it. With teh current z06 weighing in at 3020 or so, I wouldn't bet on less than 2950 pounds for a base coup. Maybe 2800 for a z06 with less sound deadening, thinner glass, carbon fiber body parts, etc.

Width? 4 inches wider than a c5? Jeez, that I'd have to see, and frankly, that would add a good 100 - 200 pounds.

I am guessing same width, with the 4 " coming simply from some added z06 flares.

One reason I guess same width is simple: The XLR sister car uses c5 diff, control arms, axles, shocks, swaybars, spindles, etc.; it is a c5 underneath. That is not a bad thing; it is quite good. I presume c6 will do the same.

That being the case, the track will be the same if similar wheel offsets are used.

Question: will GM maintain the handling balance tuned into the present z06? Or will it ruin suspension pickups to generate understeer like it did on the 93+ camaros and 88+ vettes?

Will they ruin the car with full time active handling or traction control that cannot be completely disabled? Will they maintain the adjustability in camber and caster that the z06 has?

Will they fix the deteriorating control arm bushing problems? And the bending uppers? Betting man says yes since they have been monitoring the Bondurant car's performance.

Will the z51 come with wider wheels than the 18 x 8.5 front and 19 x 10 rear?

Will the 400/400 ACTUALLY wheel out at similar power to a current z06? I am guessing with 6.0 liters, they may actually make more power under the curve if heads and cam have similar profiles. That would be nice.

Will they fix the oiling problems? I imagine that the drain-back over the crank will remain the basic problem, but you could fix it with a splach shield and prevent much of the foaming problem. If they combine that with a larger pan with better pickups, and this car hopefully will be track happy.

I am guessing that few parts will translate over from the LS1/6 to the LS2/7, so I imagine anything I spend on souping up the current car will not transfer to the new car.

Gearing? I am guessing same as base corvette gearing, not z06. With a little better torque, that may not be too terribly bad.

As far as looks go, I do kind of like it, right off the bat. I could not really say the same for the c4 or c5, so I am guessing this will mature into a really nice looking ride.

Anybody have thoughts or comments on these issues? This is actually where 'the rubber meets the road.'

I guess you figured out I am trying to get a read on whether I will trade the z06 for a c6 and then trade to a c6 z06, or if I will keep the z06 for 2 years. Or, if they screw up the geometry or active handling, it may never replace the z06, at least for stock class racing.

[Modified by cramey, 5:06 PM 11/19/2003]

[Modified by cramey, 10:06 PM 11/19/2003]
Old 11-19-2003, 05:22 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Default Re: the real deal for the c6 (cramey)

Well if it's only 400 HP I'll be disappointed, unless it is alot lighter then the c5 but I cannot understand why GM doesn't at least have a turbo as an option.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:30 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Default Re: the real deal for the c6 (ghostRder)

What wrong with you people? 400 HP is not enough? :lol:

That's pretty high, especially for a car as light as the 'vette. If acceleration is comparable to the new Viper, handling is comparable to an NSX, and looks better than both at a fraction of the price, I don't see why people are so angered by that number. :confused:

Honestly, 405 (the correct number, I'm sure) will be plenty of horsepower.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Cybercowboy
Team Owner

Stealthy Puma Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: the real deal for the c6 (GDP)

That's pretty high, especially for a car as light as the 'vette. If acceleration is comparable to the new Viper, handling is comparable to an NSX, and looks better than both at a fraction of the price, I don't see why people are so angered by that number. :confused:

Pop a Blackwing on that puppy and you'll be making 450HP or so. :lol:
Old 11-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Cybercowboy
Team Owner

Stealthy Puma Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran

wheelbase, longer than current car by 1-2"? I don't see how that is possible if the car is 4 " shorter.
It sure looks possible from the pictures I've seen. The front overhang looks signicantly smaller than the C5, and the rear wheels are a little farther back looking too.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:39 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

>>>What wrong with you people? 400 HP is not enough?<<<

:iagree: With 400hp AND a significant weight reduction you could end up with a power to weight ratio of say, a 450hp car.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:57 PM
cramey
Instructor

Default Re: the real deal for the c6 (2k2C5)

If I weren't racing stock class, I would sure as hell have a stroker heads and cam car, with forced induction. A 3000 pound brick needs at least 700 to the wheels to be really entertaining, IMO.

I just don't understand why anyone would really want a devoted, 2 seat sportscar that won't overwhelm the tires in any gear from a roll. Anything short of that and you are not using the car's potential.

A sportscar ought to at least outrun a superbike, for crhist's sake. Yet none do, and for some reason no one expects them to.

Anyway, since you can't BUY such a car, and there aren't any good racing rules that allow good modifications to end up with such a car in streetable trim, I guess I am still looking for a really nice, reasonably peppy stock car. The z06 can at least get out of its own way, and will spill your coffee if you floor it, unlike most any other 'sportscar' but the viper. I expect the new car to do a bit better.

With the 6, I think less weight is great, and hope that more power also comes along. I hope they don't do anything to tune the handling out of the car, which has been done in the past, and many *** (and german) are doing now.
I also really wonder about what parts will be interchangeable with c5.

Old 11-19-2003, 05:58 PM
cramey
Instructor

Oh, and on the length; at first I thought the front overhand looked shorter as well, but 4 inches is ALOT.

Also, pictures posted side by side seem to show the rear overhang AT LEAST as long on the c6, and the front almost as long; that makes me wonder, especially if the wb is really longer.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Senna1994
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: the real deal for the c6 (2k2C5)

I am with GDP on this. 400hp not enough? Give me a break this Horsepower war is turning silly, it's about bragging rights. I like the Hp but lets stay realistic.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:04 PM
SoCal C5
Drifting

What wrong with you people? 400 HP is not enough?
To quote Don Garllets (spelling?): "If more is better then too much ot 'a be just about right."
Old 11-19-2003, 11:07 PM
cramey
Instructor

Default Re: the real deal for the c6

ttt:

Does anyone care about anything but headlights?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't think 405 was enough for me so I added a SC. If people don't feel the car is strong enough there will always be power adders available later. :auto:
Old 11-19-2003, 11:41 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Re: the real deal for the c6 (Senna1994)

I am with GDP on this. 400hp not enough? Give me a break this Horsepower war is turning silly, it's about bragging rights. I like the Hp but lets stay realistic.
May I interest you in a nice Geo Metro?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:54 PM
DanielW
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Default Re: the real deal for the c6 (scorp508)

May I interest you in a nice Geo Metro?
that's too much hp.
get a fiat 126p. it has around 20hp. :steering:
Old 11-20-2003, 03:32 PM
zphantom
Advanced

Default Re: the real deal for the c6 (DanielW)

First off some number talk. For you guys who are concerned about the 1/4 mile. Horsepower is a second rate power, the real dilly is the torque the car has. Second the overall important number is lbs/hp. If the car is 1500 lbs and has 250 hp, it is better then a 400 horse car weighing in at 3000 lbs. SO if a C6 has 400 horse/ 400 torque and weighs under 3000 lbs + chassis upgrades it will own the 2004 Z06, if it has same numbers and weighs more then the Z06 will prevail. It is extremely hard to fight newer technology though. Unless it is smog / EPA control technology.

Get notified of new replies

To the real deal for the c6

Quick Reply: the real deal for the c6