C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 10:34 PM
flagger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Interior

Current issue of Motor Trend has pictures of the new GTO interior. It shows what GM is capable of producing. If the C6 has anything near as clean and well laid out, it can't help but be a winner.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:39 PM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: C6 Interior (flagger)

Yes, but the article also states that the interior (as well as much of the rest of the car) is the result of heavy influences from Holden, GM's Australian subsidary.

We can only hope that GM uses all of its resources to give us a fantastic interior! :D

:cheers:
Old 11-05-2003, 12:10 AM
Butta
Pro

It's basically a Holden Monaro interior, I doubt they put Holden to work on it. I wish they did, but I doubt it.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Butta
Pro

MONARO INTERIOR:

GTO INTERIOR

Not much difference there huh??

That's because it's Holden all the way, I wish Corvette will take some things from this, but it won't happen.

[Modified by Butta, 9:25 PM 11/4/2003]
Old 11-05-2003, 12:30 AM
Butta
Pro

Default Re: C6 Interior (Butta)

Here is a Monaro brochure, it's pretty sweet. GM please give us this many interior options.
http://www.holden.com.au/images/sc18...res/Monaro.pdf
Old 11-05-2003, 12:44 AM
FAST LS1
Pro

Default Re: C6 Interior (Butta)

This is why I laugh at the people who complain about the new GTO being a barely reskinded Monaro. They didn't need to change anything on the interior because according to all the magazine reviews the interior is one of the best ever to come out of GM here in the US. Plus they said the seats were the most comfortable GM seats they had ever experienced in Autoweek I believe. The exterior styling might look like a GTP, but those aren't bad looking cars, just maybe a little bland. :rant:
Old 11-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Hurricane

Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: C6 Interior (Formula)

This is why I laugh at the people who complain about the new GTO being a barely reskinded Monaro. They didn't need to change anything on the interior because according to all the magazine reviews the interior is one of the best ever to come out of GM here in the US. Plus they said the seats were the most comfortable GM seats they had ever experienced in Autoweek I believe. The exterior styling might look like a GTP, but those aren't bad looking cars, just maybe a little bland. :rant:
:iagree:

I also agree that GM most likely did not use the Holden team to work on the interior of the Vette.....oh well, that's too bad as they obviously have their act together, based on the reviews of the GTO that I have read.

I still think the exterior is a little bland, but hopefully they will get that fixed in the next version. So often does GM do the styling well, but mess up the rest of the car - this time it is the reverse! :lol:
Old 11-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Shape/arrangement isn't the problem.

The biggest problem with GM interiors is the quality of materials.

I can't tell anything about the quality of materials from a low-res online photograph. Can you?

I won't know if a GTO interior or a C6 interior is up to industry standards until I sit in it and lay my hands on it.

.Jinx
Old 11-05-2003, 12:23 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: C6 Interior (Formula)

The GTO is a clean tasteful car, but it lacks a single piece that would have spiced the look up and stamped "GTO" all over it's image ... a dual scoop hood. My bet is that the after market guys already have molds ready for '04 GTO hood that includes the '68 dual scoops, with "Ram Air" conversion kits soon to follow. Add some wheels and tires with attitude and you're done - until the LS6 powerd Judge arrives next year.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Hurricane

Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: Shape/arrangement isn't the problem. (Jinx)

The biggest problem with GM interiors is the quality of materials.

I can't tell anything about the quality of materials from a low-res online photograph. Can you?

I won't know if a GTO interior or a C6 interior is up to industry standards until I sit in it and lay my hands on it.
I agree with the quality of materials comment, but would also add fit and finish (size of gaps between pieces of the interior, rattles, etc.).

I haven't based my opinion on the quality of the materials from the online photo. I have, however, read articles by reviewers who have sat in the GTO and have seen the interior up close. I thought that the comments by C&D that the GTO had one of the best GM interiors they had ever seen to be rather intriguing.

Hope to sit in a GTO sometime so I can see first hand. Until I can do so, the articles can still provide me some perspective on where GM is potentially heading...
Old 11-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Gorgon
Intermediate

Default Re: Shape/arrangement isn't the problem. (Hurricane)

If you dig up the old spy shots from the Jeep group where you can see the interior through the window, there appears to be similarities in the centerline of the dash and the placement of the vents. We may see something similar in C6. Though from the shots with the door open, there are differences around the instrument cluster.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Daryl
Pro

Default Re: Shape/arrangement isn't the problem. (Hurricane)

:iagree:
Old 11-05-2003, 06:52 PM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Re: C6 Interior (LongTimer)

Maybe this is wishful thinking (and it admittedly has absolutely nothing to do with the C6), but...

What are the chances that Chevrolet will take a cue, and revive the Chevelle nameplate based on its GTO cousin?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:10 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: C6 Interior (RPOZ25)

Maybe this is wishful thinking (and it admittedly has absolutely nothing to do with the C6), but...

What are the chances that Chevrolet will take a cue, and revive the Chevelle nameplate based on its GTO cousin?
Rumors stated that the "Chevelle" name copyright was renewed within the last year. The rumor was that it WAS GM's intention to make the Chevelle a stablemate of the next gen GTO being designed now. However, the rumor goes on to state that the stable mate will now be named the Camaro, not the Chevelle and that the Firebird will NOT rise from the ashes of cancelation.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:34 PM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Wow. Very interesting.

I think a GTO-based Camaro would be a mistake. I don't see how the new GTO fits into the definition of "pony car" that the Camaro is traditionally associated with.

I thought the Camaro/Firebird were going to get a clean sheet design. I guess not.

( Again - I apologize for getting off on this non-C6 tangent, but there doesn't seem to be any new C6 news worth getting worked up over.

I promise I'll stop now.
)
Old 11-05-2003, 07:47 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

I thought the Camaro/Firebird were going to get a clean sheet design. I guess not.
Careful, this was only a published rumor. Many things can, and may have already changed - who knows.

I would like to see chevy resurrect the complete SS line myself - Camaro, Nova, Chevelle, Impala and (if vette stays a chevy) a new world beater Corvette Zora SS - not a replacement for the Z06. These cars were all great values and they all sold great. They helped make GM great.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:39 PM
RPOZ51
Race Director

I agree with what you are saying. I know that I'm magnetized whenever I see one of them (GTOs, too).

It's a shame, because Chevy has quite the heritage. It seems as though the only thing they have left to get excited about is the Corvette. Does anyone stop and do a double take when a new Malibu or an Impala goes by? Does anyone even notice them?

I know I'm old school, but I want to see Chevy make a mid-sized two door with a totally hot engine, not some nameless, faceless imitation Euro-sedan.

It needs to be the kind of car that would fit in the old ad with the 1970 454 Chevelle staked to the ground by these huge ship anchor ropes, where the ad says it is the only way to hold one still.

Rant over!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Interior

Old 11-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

I agree with what you are saying. I know that I'm magnetized whenever I see one of them (GTOs, too).

It's a shame, because Chevy has quite the heritage. It seems as though the only thing they have left to get excited about is the Corvette. Does anyone stop and do a double take when a new Malibu or an Impala goes by? Does anyone even notice them?

I know I'm old school, but I want to see Chevy make a mid-sized two door with a totally hot engine, not some nameless, faceless imitation Euro-sedan.

It needs to be the kind of car that would fit in the old ad with the 1970 454 Chevelle staked to the ground by these huge ship anchor ropes, where the ad says it is the only way to hold one still.

Rant over!
This gets me to thinking... now, what is it that Dodge has beyond the Viper and what is it that Ford has beyond the Mustang? :confused:
Old 11-05-2003, 09:42 PM
hustler1
Instructor

Default Re: C6 Interior (Rocketblock)

You guys are so correct, beyond their staple cars, chevy, dodge, and ford don't really offer all that much excitement.

I really think they should start bringing back older cars like the Camaro and Chevelle. Chevy should aso make some really agressive looking cars, they always seem to churn out rather bland looking cars compared to some of the other cars produced elsewhere.

It's time ot make American cars kick butt again so we can smoke all those ricers:)
Old 11-06-2003, 10:56 AM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default Re: C6 Interior (hustler1)

I'm typing this from SEMA where I've seen more exciting cars than I ever thought existed. But if you guys are going to insist that a hot car has to be a front engine RWD V8 you're going to be very disappointed for the next ten years. Maybe from here on out. The GTO, Corvette, Mustang and the 300C from Chrysler are about the only things I saw out there. The whole world here is Trucks, Ricers and Hot rods. Very little action on the pony car front.

But you can get your Hummer slammed to the ground on 30" wheels with O-rings for tires - or you can have it lifted fourteen feet. And you can have your HondaAcuraMazdaNeon done up in a zillion different versions of carbon fiber hoods and NOS bottle backends.

Looks to me like the performance world is changing and it isn't headed to Corvettes and V8s.
There are hundreds of cars here and I'll bet less than 10 are Vettes. In the Chevy booth? There's a tricked out Malibu with a wing and sparco seats that have video monitors in the backs, an Aveo(?!)with wing and rice package and a Police Package Tahoe. oh and an SSR. YAAAAwwwwwwnnnn. There's a C5R here - but it's outside in the IMSA booth. Hell, there's cooler stuff on the Saturn side of the GM display.
Meanwhile the Mopar guys have five or six Vipers and the new Viper motored Pickup. Off in the corner an old Superbird winged Daytona and a Hemi Challenger are gathering dust and the lookers walk right by them all to see the Neon SRT-4.

But back on topic - I sat in the GTO and the interior is the real deal. Much nicer than C5. But then so are the SSR's innards.

Quick Reply: C6 Interior