C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 03:47 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6?

GM is doing it with the Malibu. Taking the current one and labeling it a Chevy Classic or Malibu Clasic.

So, why not take the current C5, de-option it a bit, smack it with a $32-40K price tag and call it a Corvette Classic for a few year?

This should take out the wanna-be's in that price category such as the Cobra, EVO, etc. GM doesn't have the Fbody anymore to fill the entry level performance market anyways.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Butta
Pro

Default Re: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6? (H82BFST)

Sweet idea!!!! Come on GM!!! Probably will never happen though. :(
Old 09-26-2003, 03:58 PM
DanielW
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Default Re: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6? (Butta)

i'm sorry but there's a bigger chance of the C6 having a 10000hp jet engine than that happening.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:08 PM
vett-ish
Advanced

I don't know, the day you begin to cheapen the vette is the day it loses its savvy. :nonod:
Old 09-26-2003, 04:16 PM
funshipone
Racer

Default Re: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6? (vett-ish)

Great Idea GM already is making plans for introduction 2006 called Soltice or however you spell the name?
Old 09-26-2003, 05:06 PM
zphantom
Advanced

Thanks for trying to make the move from C5 to C6 harder by attempting to make my '02 worthless. :)
Old 09-26-2003, 05:40 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6? (zphantom)

I know I don't need to tell you that you don't buy a car (new) as a short term investment. ;)
Old 09-26-2003, 05:54 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

I would much rather see GM apply the Holden Multi-car-on-a-single-production line technique to offer a multi-model corvette line. At minimum would be a $65-70k world beater (maybe mid engine) and the "current" C6 model. If a vette model were to be targeted at a lower market, that vette should be very different. Perhaps that little mid engined Vauxal / Opel, re-engineered with more power to directly compete with the 350Z. I understand it already handles extremely well.

P.S. NO VETTE Trucks or SUVs please.

[Modified by LongTimer, 10:55 PM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 06:15 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6? (LongTimer)

When I was thinking about the Vette Classic, I was NOT thinking about a different platform "another but smaller" Corvette, etc. (Definitely NEVER EVER SUVs, etc)

My thought process was, "Hey GM, all the R&D, all the tooling, etc has been already paid for on the C5. The C5 is still EXCELLENT even by todays new whipper snapper standards so if the XLR can be produced in the same plant as the C5, then why not continue the C5 revised"

I understand that this wouldn't happen as many would fee it cheapens their status symbol, but for those of us who can't see buying a 50K just to beat the snot out of it, it would be a great alternative. (Without having to go to the competition)

[Modified by H82BFST, 5:16 PM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 06:51 PM
vette-freak
Pro

They looked into it already. In 97, I was prevelidged to set in a FRC at the plant that had cloth seats & hand crank windows along with 17" rims all around. I was told that GM scrapped the idea for fear of standard vettes not selling due to the price difference ($6000 difference from a coupe) & people wouldn't justify the price increase for standard equipted coupes & verts. The FRC was almost a "dropped" line also for lack of sales until the z-06 platform was taken up. I was told that the z-06 line was originally to be used on coupes but the FRC was lighter & the GM sponsered race teams were modifying them to begin with. So thank the racing teams for saving the FRC.

[Modified by vette-freak, 5:54 PM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-26-2003, 07:08 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

When I was thinking about the Vette Classic, I was NOT thinking about a different platform "another but smaller" Corvette, etc.
I think I understand your position. My position is that a multi model vette line must offer distinctly different sports cars. There have been lengthy discussions here and on other sites about the possibility of a multi model Corvette division being spun off by GM. I am in favor of this and suggested the possibility here in the past. I was flamed - to the extreme.

Regardless, I feel a multi model corvette line MUST be diverse - not compete against itself. It MUST offer the very best performance value in each market it enters. I don't see how a smaller vette could use a significant number of parts and engineering from either a C5 or a C6. If I misunderstand, and you are suggesting the continuance of a de-contented C5, I agree with a previous post that it would not sell well. These days even Civics have PDL, PW, CC, ABS, etc. The market expectation at even $30k is there for these aminities. IMO
Old 09-26-2003, 08:59 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Horrible idea.

Didn't they already attempt this with the Hard Top? None of them would sell.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

Default Re: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6? (vett-ish)

I don't know, the day you begin to cheapen the vette is the day it loses its savvy. :nonod:
:withstupid:
Old 09-26-2003, 11:27 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

GM has done this "classic" thing before -- remember the Lumina? They kept building it for the rental market after they replaced it in the consumer market with the Impala.

It's a horrible idea.

In the case of the Malibu (and the Lumina before it), hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions of people experience General Motors in the form of an obsolete unloved product.

In the case of Corvette, a lingering C5 simply wouldn't be competitive. We're not getting a C6 because GM feels generous.

Way to turn around the reputation, boys.

Anyway, where would they build it? They need the Bowling Green line for C6 production.

GM sells all the Corvettes they can build. Watering down the brand offering a lower-profit antiquated car serves no purpose and is a logistical nightmare besides.

Keep in mind this C5 would be competing with all the used C5s already out there. Oh, you didn't want any resale value on your C5, did you?

.Jinx
Old 09-26-2003, 11:37 PM
bigblockbob
Drifting

Crack Kills!!!!
Edit: I am at 383 posts! HeHe.. :D

[Modified by bigblockbob, 10:38 PM 9/26/2003]
Old 09-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6? (Jinx)

GM has done this "classic" thing before -- remember the Lumina? They kept building it for the rental market after they replaced it in the consumer market with the Impala.

It's a horrible idea.

In the case of the Malibu (and the Lumina before it), hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions of people experience General Motors in the form of an obsolete unloved product.

In the case of Corvette, a lingering C5 simply wouldn't be competitive. We're not getting a C6 because GM feels generous.

Way to turn around the reputation, boys.

Anyway, where would they build it? They need the Bowling Green line for C6 production.

GM sells all the Corvettes they can build. Watering down the brand offering a lower-profit antiquated car serves no purpose and is a logistical nightmare besides.

Keep in mind this C5 would be competing with all the used C5s already out there. Oh, you didn't want any resale value on your C5, did you?

.Jinx
Great points! :iagree:
Old 09-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6?

That is quite possible the worst idea I have ever heard. I am dumber for having read it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Get notified of new replies

To How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6?

Old 09-28-2003, 10:23 AM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

GM is doing it with the Malibu. Taking the current one and labeling it a Chevy Classic or Malibu Clasic.

What do you guys think?
Sounds like burning off excess inventory is what I think.

More than anything else, the Corvette has always been about innovation and pushing limits, and not looking back for anything more than minor styling cues.

[Modified by Kevin93, 9:26 AM 9/28/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I would love to see a lot of the now standard features become options. They could really drop the price if they did away with the power windows, door locks, seat, automatic climate control, etc.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Re: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6? (Tom/99)

I would love to see a lot of the now standard features become options. They could really drop the price if they did away with the power windows, door locks, seat, automatic climate control, etc.
I don't know where this thinking comes from, but it's not the real world.

This is bullocks. How does the price drop? Crank windows require additional engineering, more space in the doors, and at this point when basically every vehicle in the entire GM lineup has power windows, the parts for crank windows will be MORE expensive!

And in general, options increase the inventory and build complexity, thus increase cost.

Besides, for all the whining about it, only about two hundred people are ever going to buy a car so underequipped, no matter the price.

Where's the big savings?

I would love to see this outmoded "bare bones" thinking die.

.Jinx

Quick Reply: How about a Corvette Classic along with a new C6?