C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6---------->

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 05:38 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6---------->

I am so hoping they will make Cadillacs FLIR night vision an option on the C6.

Why does GM have such great technology on such a useless, slow driven platform.

Why not instead put this advanced forward looking technology on a vehicle that really needs it.

I dont get it, they want to put OnStar on the Corvette, but not FLIR...

What good does it do me to have the police alerted when my airbags deploy...sounds like a quick citation in the event i have a mishap, one car accident in the Corvette.

Its like the difference between Volvo and Subaru, Subaru gives you technology to avoid accidents.

Please GM give it to us.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:02 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (dizwiz24)

:leaving: :skep: :confused:
Old 08-20-2003, 10:31 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (Rocketblock)

Whats confusing about my post...I dont get it...

I am sure most forum members would want the night vision on their car...I do.

Unless your a low-speed daytime driving only Corvette driver
Old 08-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Arnie
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (dizwiz24)

"What good does it do me to have the police alerted when my airbags deploy...sounds like a quick citation in the event i have a mishap, one car accident in the Corvette."

sounds like a way to save your life ot the life of a loved one...

I don't think it will happen, the night vision adds weight an they are trying to cut weight from the C6. I don't know if onStar will be standard/optional or if it will even be offered. Having OnStar wouldn't bother me, I would like the authorities to be notified if the air bags go off in my car.

[Modified by Arnie, 9:51 PM 8/20/2003]
Old 08-21-2003, 12:06 AM
Low Flight
Melting Slicks

YES!!! I too want the FLIR System. I'd also like to see GPS/Radio/Environmental controls all integrated into a Multifunction Display-MFD and a more advanced HUD. :hurray:
Old 08-21-2003, 03:05 AM
backtrail69
Race Director

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (Arnie)

That would be really cool. :thumbs:
Old 08-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I'm not sure I would want the night vision option. I would have to drive one to see what it was like first.

I don't want OnStar. I would rather save the $ from that option and put it into a DVD-based navigation system. A nav system is an option that I absolutely must have.

:cheers:
Old 08-21-2003, 12:12 PM
GDP
Team Owner

They probably will.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Pipes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (Low Flight)

YES!!! I too want the FLIR System. I'd also like to see GPS/Radio/Environmental controls all integrated into a Multifunction Display-MFD and a more advanced HUD. :hurray:
:withstupid:
Old 08-29-2003, 07:26 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (Pipes)

I read somewhere recently that Dave Hill stated that the C6 would NOT have the Cad's night vision.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:15 AM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (LongTimer)

From what I've been hearing, the night vision is on the way out. Have you noticed that they stopped putting it on all their concept vehicles? For a while, every caddy concept had night vision. The XLR was supposed to have it at first (the concept had it, and initial statements said the production vehicle would "feature" it) but the production car doesn't have it. There seem to be no plans to offer it on the STS and the CTS definitely doesn't have it. Cadillac seems to be phazing it out. It's hard to tell whether they will even keep it around on the DTS.

As for putting it on the vette, I don't know if there's even room. The camera itself is a bit large, and would have to be offset to the side in the vette, because there's no room for it above of below the license plate location. I presently own and drive daily a 2002 DTS with Night vision. Honestly I don't know how useful the feature would be in the vette. It works ok in dark areas (IE not in cities or any place with streetlamps) and in good weather conditions. Fog or any sort of precipitation make it useless. It's great for spotting deer or people in the road, and it can give you an ok view of the road itself, but nothing that would really be helpful in terms of performance driving. In fact, if you were driving fast, I don't think you would even have the time to watch it all that well. It's a little tough to interpret the image, (it's a grainy black and white image) and it wouldn't exactly be helpful in terms of navigating curves. I can truthfully say that I absolutely would have hit 3 moose at 70+ mph if I hadn't had night vision in my caddy. If they offered it in the vette, I would get it. But I don't know if others would. Few people order it in the cadillac, and vette owners are even less likely to indulge in such luxuries. For all these reasons I doubt we'll see it on the C6.

One other thought....the DTS is the only caddy that isn't offered with HID headlights. I think this may be because the light would wash out the Head up display of the night vision. It's different from other head up displays and is difficult to see when the road is brightly illuminated. That's one more reason that it wouldn't come on the vette (which is supposed to get HIDs).

Scott
Old 08-30-2003, 04:28 AM
Sanctuary
Race Director

Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (LymanSS)

Um, no good for performance driving?! Tell that to the guys who drove the C5Rs over at LeMans (the debut year). They reckon it was a life saver - instead of constantly being blinded by lights from OTHER CARS they could use night vision almost excusively. It DOES help...
Old 08-30-2003, 05:18 AM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (Sanctuary)

Um, no good for performance driving?! Tell that to the guys who drove the C5Rs over at LeMans (the debut year). They reckon it was a life saver - instead of constantly being blinded by lights from OTHER CARS they could use night vision almost excusively. It DOES help...
Did they really have night vision on those cars?? I never heard that. If so, I may be forced to eat my words. Personally I drive my caddy as hard as my vette (not as fast, just as hard) and don't find it to be terribly helpful for performance driving. Perhaps it's set up to be more useful in racing applications (better field of view, higher performance, etc). I'd love to know more about it. I had no idea it was ever used in racing.

Scott

[Modified by LymanSS, 4:23 AM 8/30/2003]
Old 08-30-2003, 08:56 AM
logansowner
Le Mans Master

What good does it do me to have the police alerted when my airbags deploy...sounds like a quick citation in the event i have a mishap, one car accident in the Corvette.
I don't know about you, but if myself or a loved one were in an accident and couldn't call for help, I kinda think it would be nice to have Onstar do it itself. Personaly anything that saves my life seems like it might do me some good :thumbs:
Old 08-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Pipes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, a feature like that would be great for the mountainous driving that I do daily! :cool: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 08-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Sanctuary
Race Director

Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (LymanSS)

Did they really have night vision on those cars?? I never heard that. If so, I may be forced to eat my words. Personally I drive my caddy as hard as my vette (not as fast, just as hard) and don't find it to be terribly helpful for performance driving. Perhaps it's set up to be more useful in racing applications (better field of view, higher performance, etc). I'd love to know more about it. I had no idea it was ever used in racing.
Sure was. You could even watch the cars drive the track through the camera. Pretty impressive. I personally prefer Night Vision over some navigation system like Onstar because at least Night Vision works without paying some stupid fee or having to live in a country where the service exists. I'd love to know how much the added camera weighs though.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:25 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6----------> (Sanctuary)

That's really cool to know. I never knew that they had night vision on those cars. Probably more of a marketing thing than a performance feature, but who knows. As for nav systems....they are a totally different sort of feature. True nav systems work on GPS, have no subscription fees and it pretty much doesn't matter what country you live in, because they have DVDs with maps of most of them. I have Onstar, and a nav system and night vision and I love them all. If they offered them on the vette I'd have them all. I just don't think most other people would.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6---------->

Old 08-30-2003, 08:13 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

LymanSS,

Just wanted to say its nice to hear from someone who has real experience with Night Vision in Cadillac.

Old 09-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Dave Hill stated at Corvettes@Carlisle that the Corvette WIL NEVER HAVE NIGHT VISION
Old 09-01-2003, 06:55 PM
bigblockbob
Drifting

yeah i am with you why have it if you don't use it? i think they will put it on there... :thumbs:

Quick Reply: I want Cadillacs Night Vision, FLIR as an option on the C6---------->