C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CREDIBLE C6 info....seriously

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default CREDIBLE C6 info....seriously

K guys so here's the deal...i am very interested in what the c6 will look like, the same as everyone else. AND i hate getting false info or somewhat vague info. Here is what i have learned from a credible source that has seen pics. Lets see if i can get my info taken off forum from GM. Ill start front work back.

1. The "carp mouth" is in fact on the car and looks somewhat like the tiger shark.
2. THere is a slit in the front of the hood, kinda like the new viper.
3. Fixed Headlights.
4. Engine will be genIV but will be comparable to the z06. 2006 z06 made that viper "wont touch". Z06 is gonna look very distinct from the base model supposedly....more like a race car.
5. He said there were two door handles almost identical looking...one same place as the spy shots (which he confirmed were c6s). The other is below near where body side moldings end on c5. He said they looked identical. No clue what they might be but my guess is a release for the rear hatch...who knows.
6. Interior will be much refined. No details but look to the xlr for that same kind of feeling. He said you can push on things and it is steady whatever that means (less plastic maybe).
7. 335s :)
8. Rear window looks nothing like motor trend drawlings...more of a cross between c5 and z06...at least thats what he said.
9. Butt is shorter and thinner than c5 meaning shorter overhang which we know but also its not as thick if you can understand that.... kinda like this < instead of [ if you can understand that. In the vertical direction from ground to back window.

I know we knew some of this but i hope this confirms it. Again i dont want to be called DUPE for trying to help the cause with credible info. All and all he said it looks sweet and he plans on getting one when it comes out after seeing the pic and so do i just off his word. :D :cheers: :steering:
Old 08-16-2003, 09:06 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: CREDIBLE C6 info....seriously (Yogivette)

you know how they say a picture is worth a 1000 words... your post on facts is about 100 words so thats not even 10% of what a picture would do... We are really suckers for even lurking this board. We just gotta wait till the veil is dropped. Thanks for the effort anyway.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:07 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try me again on the slit in the front of the hood. Are you refering to the air intake in the hood of the Viper or the gill like slits to let the engine comparement heat escape? :confused:
Old 08-16-2003, 10:06 PM
GDP
Team Owner

I'm :skep: on those tires sizes. 335s? That's 13.18894" wide! No way could they make the 'vette have a good top end speed with those tire sizes. No way. IMO, that's overkill. It'll look mean, but it's overkill. Cuts in on aerodynamics for something that you don't really need. JMHO. I call :bs on the tire sizes.

EDIT: Just FYI, the only other car ever produced with such wide wheels was the Lamborghini Countach, which retains the title of Widest Wheels Ever On A Production Vehicle.

[Modified by GDP, 9:07 PM 8/16/2003]
Old 08-16-2003, 11:10 PM
davidwp97
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

4. Z06 is gonna look very distinct from the base model supposedly....more like a race car.
Works for me!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Sounds more and more like the Z06 replacement will be a fixed roof fastback (like the C5-R is today.)

David
I love this stuff!! :D :D
Old 08-17-2003, 12:48 AM
logansowner
Le Mans Master

Default Re: CREDIBLE C6 info....seriously (GDP)

EDIT: Just FYI, the only other car ever produced with such wide wheels was the Lamborghini Countach, which retains the title of Widest Wheels Ever On A Production Vehicle.
The Viper has 345's though :confused:
Old 08-17-2003, 02:55 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Default Re: CREDIBLE C6 info....seriously (logansowner)

Really? :bb :leaving:
Old 08-17-2003, 03:50 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: CREDIBLE C6 info....seriously (logansowner)

Yep... the SRT/10 has 345s and the Gen-II's had 335s. Top end speed will be FINE stop worrying. The vipers do over 180 with those babies.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Top Speed :rolleyes:
Old 08-17-2003, 05:05 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Sorry for not clarifying....he says the slit is like the intake one on the viper, not the vents for heat. But since there is that carp mouth im kinda confused on this too...it seems to me there is no need for that one on the hood. i guess we'll just have to wait on that one.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:01 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Thanks

I have no problem with separating the air intake for the engine from the air intake for the various cooling functions.

The size and position of the intake for the various cooling functions in the C6 is clearly shown in the various spy photos. Testing of the cooling functions requires that the shown opening have a high fidelity to the final product. How that intake is incorporated into the styling of the front facia is an entirely different matter. If you go back to the early styling exercises for the C5, you'll find a lot of them had front openings with a variety of ways of incorporating those front openings into the design of the car. Go back even further to the Indy Vette. In fact the front facia of the two C5 styling bucks that were given by Cafaro to the Museaum are an interesting study. Remember that one of them was Peter's car that was initally chosen as the styling winner until Cafaro's finally set the styling theme for the C5. You can have everything from a Tiger Shark like wide mouth to a Jaguar like small mouth to the C5R like opening and styling. It's not even sure that you will see that shape as it could be hidden within other styling motifs.

The report of the slit is more difficult. On none of the spy photos do I see accomodation for a Viper like air intake. I would think that such an opening, camoed, would be visible to properly test its effect when driving on the road.

If we're to believe Hill's comments about the influence of the race team's findings into the design of the C6, the position and size of the opening may have been influenced by aerodynamic considerations for the C6R. Take a look at the C5R. :cool:

[Modified by I Bin Therbefor, 12:02 AM 8/18/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 07:23 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: CREDIBLE C6 info....seriously (GDP)

Really? :bb :leaving:
Yep, really. :yesnod: Plus a handful of exotics.

I could care less about top speed, 180mph is not fun IMHO. Traction at the strip would be nice.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:25 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Default Re: (Mr Mojo)

Top speed is important in every other country in the world except for the USA. You think people in Germany want to pay a premium for an export 'vette that can only go 160 on the Autobahn? :nono:

EDIT: Plus, aerodynamics affect gas mileage considerably. EPA has auto manufacturers by the ***** when it comes to gas mileage. Anyone who buys a Viper also pays a gas guzzler tax, something that has been guaranteed to never happen on the 'vette. You think 13.2" rear wheels are going to help with good gas mileage? :nonod:

All I'm saying is that I think there are more reasons to have smaller rear wheels than there are for larger. Who knows, I could be wrong. Won't be the first time.

[Modified by GDP, 6:30 PM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 09:18 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Aerodynamics and fuel efficiency

Between C6's slight weight reduction and the decent margin above gas-guzzler status already enjoyed by C5, it's possible that wider tires can be accomodated without reaching gas-guzzler territory.

Similarly, C5's 350hp is enough to propel it to 180mph. The 75hp increase projected for C6 buys a lot more speed -- or some lattitude on aerodynamic efficiency to reach the same speed.

I don't know if we'll see 335s on the coupe, but I'd be surprised if we see the same 275s C5 wears. C6 could get 295s while C6Z06 could get 315 or even 335. Let's not forget reports that Z06 will be more visually distinguished from the coupe. That could mean (among other things) fatter fenders to accomodate fatter wheels.

Performance aside, the market does tend to lust for fat rubber.

.Jinx
Old 08-17-2003, 11:49 PM
ACR Z06
Racer

Default Re: Aerodynamics and fuel efficiency (Jinx)

Man i hope the Z06 rides on 345's,i really like the look of the Viper with its SteamRoller tires. :auto:
Old 08-18-2003, 12:09 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: (GDP)

Top speed is important in every other country in the world except for the USA. You think people in Germany want to pay a premium for an export 'vette that can only go 160 on the Autobahn? :nono:
First of all, the only reason the Europeans think top speed is important is because it is an exscuse for their automobiles' lousy acceleration (in most cases). Come on, the average sports car enthusiast will probably NEVER reach 160 mph even if their car is capable of it. What really matters is stop light to stop light. That's the most practical, feel good, know you have a beast type of speed. What's the point in having a $160,000 sports car that can do 200 mph if the guy next to you in his Z06 can smoke you every place except the highway.

I'll sacrfice top speed for traction and acceleration anyday in my street car.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:11 AM
ACR Z06
Racer

Default Re: (SuprJames)

Great Point SuprJames :iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To CREDIBLE C6 info....seriously

Old 08-18-2003, 12:28 AM
logansowner
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (SuprJames)

First of all, the only reason the Europeans think top speed is important is because it is an exscuse for their automobiles' lousy acceleration (in most cases).
Really? M3, SL class, M5, even S and CL class cars have 0-60 times in the 4 second range, other than the cheap German cars, they all have as good acceleration as the American cars, and the are a lot nicer to drive than a Viper or Vette too :yesnod: Just saying, don't knock things if you don't know what you are talking about :cheers:

[Modified by logansowner, 1:28 AM 8/18/2003]
Old 08-18-2003, 12:53 AM
DSTJ99
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (logansowner)

Don't ZR1's have 315s. 335 might be possible on the Z06 version. But, i side with them not making much sense in the long run. Besides, who wants to pay for two 335s :crazy:
Old 08-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: (DSTJ99)

One thing to note is the negative effect that the C5's center air dam has on aerodynamics. If the C6 is a front breather, then the air dam and its negative effect on Cd and frontal area can be deleted and the wider rear tires still wouldn't add as much as the air dam did to either of these.

In other words, the deletion of the air dam more than makes up for the wider tires' Cd and frontal area penalties.

Take a look under the C5 and notice how the bottom is very flat...except for the air dam hanging down to scoop air into the radiator.

Quick Reply: CREDIBLE C6 info....seriously