C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Detailed Article On C6 Found...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:27 AM
2000LS1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very Detailed Article On C6 Found...

I have only been on this forum since the beginning of this summer, and the author of this article mentions Spring 2003 as when we might be seeing mules so this article may or may not have been posted on this forum already. Anyways, here ya go:
"I have learned some very interesting information lately regarding the C6 Corvette, and other future models that GM is going to produce. I thought this would make a good article for our newsletter, for mid-winter reading. Remind you that it seems almost everyone has a “special” inside source”. Well, that’s my line too, but I am unable to reveal who or where I obtained this information, and it does come from more then one source. My sources are involved on the outskirts of C6 development, were present at the recent show in Detroit. One source had a lot to do with C5 development I do feel the information is worth an article in our newsletter. So I have decided to put it into writing. I am sure some of this information will change and some of it will come true to life. So here it goes.

Lately, more C6 developmental information has started to leak out to reliable sources within the inner circle of the automotive industry. I think GM is doing this part by design to keep our curiosity peaked and the fact the recent North American Car Show in Detroit had a lot of valuable information be passed about. One item of information that I was specifically told, the C6 concept car designs or “artist” renditions that appeared in “Road and Track, “Motor Trend” and “Car and Driver” are NOT to be taken seriously, nor are they accurate. When Lutz came into power, it was almost certain the C6 would change, and this did happen. Many of the cosmetics of the C6 is still fluid and has not yet been approved for pre- production models. The GM Design Engineers are still submitting “Engineering Modification Orders” (ENO) before a pre-production car is finalized for management approval. However, the closest rendition of what the C6 will look like was the “Autoweek” one. But it is rough and still it’s a stretch, as some changes have been applied and more to come.

Picture removed, you ca see it at http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=09501022

This information you are about to receive is very reliable. The C6 Corvette is taking many of its styling queues from the new (soon to be released) Cadillac XLR. Actually, you might say its vise versa, since the C6 design was far ahead of the XLR in the beginning. Many of the C5 design methods and applications were used to develop Cadillac’s concept car the Evoq, which was renamed as the production version called the (Extreme Luxury Roadster) XLR. The new C-6 body design will have a much more defined “angular” or stealthy look to it, as opposed to the smooth or round look of the C5. However the C5 influence in the design has been maintained in the C-6, so you know its Corvette heritage, not the XLR and many common features can be made out between the C5 and C6. In one respect it will have more of a C-3 flavor, very shark like, or aggressive looking. Many of the C6’s lines are very pronounced or accented when compared to the subtle line flow of the C5. The coupe will take some of the styling queue from the mid-year Corvettes, sloping glass rear.

The rear end has a complete redesign. One of the biggest criticisms of the C5 was it appeared to be fat or wide. Well the C6 has gone on a diet , but still in approval stages of the rear fascia. Several rear fascia designs are being evaluated, mainly for cosmetics, aerodynamics and functionality. New lightweight plastic composites are being used on outside panels and more carbon fiber is to be employed in many of the underside and engine structural components. One concept that is still being considered is a Carbon Fiber Hood, but the cost might be prohibited, again this is under consideration. Magnesium and yes “balsa” wood as a core filling to be used in the dash, underside of passenger compartment and trunk area. You know the C5 uses this in the trunk area already, so it appears expanding the use will decrease weight. The C6 is going to have a new electrical system. Requirements for higher amps/voltages off the alternators are needed for additional electronics being incorporated.

The C5R Race Program has played an important role with development team by passing a mountain of race proven information helping to design the C-6 for better aerodynamics, handling, and performance. The design engineers are very strong supporters of the C5R Racing Program and working together they have managed to reduce the drag of the C6 to a much sleeker and efficient model. Most of the C6 design has been done on computer imaging and the use of a virtual wind tunnel. This was down to test body and component design on computer before it becomes physical design of the car, resulting in cost saving for development. The XLR design team uses the same concepts employed by the C6 design team. The C6 Design team employed and updated much of the computer technology previously used on the C5 development. I understand the car’s wheelbase will be slightly longer, yet nose or rear overhang will be shorter and car will be slightly wider. Eliminating that LONG nose feeling the driver experiences and drag on the rear. Exhausts ports will remain in the center.

Now for the engine, the standard engine will have 435 HP and an optional 450 HP. I don’t know the block or engine type, but if the trend continues the 6.0 liter has been talked about. It is the full intention of the design team to us carbon fiber in the engine components. Also, using a complete engine cover (carbon fiber) over the intake and fuel rails done to the valve covers. This will eliminate the current two fuel rail covers and provide a cleaner look to the intake manifold. Radiator shrouds and other such components (wheel wells) are either going to be carbon fiber or a new plastic composite. Again the cost of carbon fiber needs to drop before they will use it. The top cover will project a much cleaner and richer look to the engine compartment. Automatic Transmission will be a six speed, while the standard will remain the current version of the six-speed.

The interior is going through a complete redesign. Although still not finalized, it is using a lot on brushed aluminum inserts on the dash and console to eliminate that “plastic” look. The dash and new instrumentation (similar to the XLR), will be a retro look of the mid-year Corvettes, (two humps) with a console that contains a central VDU for audio, Navistar, Navigation system, all your vital readings, trip computer really a Command center. I really think it will look more like the Audi TNT from what I understand. Two-cup holders will be in the dash instead of the one on the C5. The dash remains analog, (speedometer and tech). It will have side airbags employed, and the seats will be a much higher quality with better lateral support. The Command Display in the center console will have the touch sensitive screen on it. Overall the interior will be more comfortable and have a much less cluttered look with better materials, much better fit, again many of the parts will be shared with XLR. Finally an upgraded stereo system is going to be used and the new Magnetic Selective Ride Control (MSRC) dynamic damping system they are putting in the 2003s will be carried over to the C6. The Convertible top will be manual, this cuts the weight and price, unlike the XLR that is a hardtop that is motorized. The manual top is going to be used because it is lighter and takes less room for storage allowing the required large trunk that everybody seems to like in the Convertible model. Improvements have been made on the weather flashing and a goal is to reduce outside noise, which isn’t that bad of the C5 compared to previous generations.

The back of the C6 or rear-end is still not finalized on production design, but will maintain a round or oval light configuration, like the previous Corvettes. Finishing work is being employed around the rear license plate area to give it a much better finish. Definitely no pop-up headlights, fixed lights, front will be very similar to the XLR less the grill, but still maintain the “Corvette” look. The lights will be the same type used on the C5R racecars.

Because the pre-production car is still being refined, the mules will not be out until late spring, because of redesign issues of the rear and interior. My guess is that is when you will start seeing spy photos of a disguised Corvette C6.

Conversations have all stated that GM is going to share many parts of the XLR with the C6. And if you look very close to the XLR, I was told you will see the C6. I have also been told the XLR is going to be a short lived car for the Cadillac Division. Lifecycle will be only a few years. The concept Chevrolet SS if it continues to get raves (as it did at the Detroit show) will be produced on the XLR assembly line at Bowling Green. The XLR appears to be a similar high priced version, (although not a CLONE) of the next Corvette. The XLR was intended is to maintain the Cadillac style with grills, and the pushiness of a luxury sedan."
- http://www.lovecars.com/corvettecorner/c6.htm

[Modified by 2000LS1, 5:28 AM 7/16/2003]
Old 07-16-2003, 01:15 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Default Re: Very Detailed Article On C6 Found... (2000LS1)

Also, using a complete engine cover (carbon fiber) over the intake and fuel rails done to the valve covers. This will eliminate the current two fuel rail covers and provide a cleaner look to the intake manifold.
Oh great, as if the C5's underhood area didn't *already* look like an explosion at the Tupperware factory -- now even MORE plastic covers for the C6!
:rolleyes: :U

Remember the old days, when you would open the hood and see actual, honest-to-goodness STEEL and ALUMINUM engine parts and NOT a "full plastic engine cover" for a "richer look"????

[Modified by Kent1999, 11:16 PM 7/15/2003]
Old 07-16-2003, 01:23 AM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.lovecars.com/corvettecorner/c6.htm

repeat but thanks anyway!

[Modified by Runge_Kutta, 12:23 AM 7/16/2003]
Old 07-16-2003, 01:28 AM
qs01coupe
Instructor

If you read the actual autoweek article, published June 4th of 2002, the base HP was listed at 400 with the Z06 getting 425HP. Ernie's Corvette corner is fun reading but don't take it too seriously.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:00 AM
GDP
Team Owner

:skep:
Old 07-16-2003, 04:32 AM
Steven P
Race Director

Thanks for the info :thumbs:
Old 07-16-2003, 08:02 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: Very Detailed Article On C6 Found... (Kent1999)

Oh great, as if the C5's underhood area didn't *already* look like an explosion at the Tupperware factory -- now even MORE plastic covers for the C6!
:rolleyes: :U

Remember the old days, when you would open the hood and see actual, honest-to-goodness STEEL and ALUMINUM engine parts and NOT a "full plastic engine cover" for a "richer look"????
Other than the C5's fuel rail covers, there's nothing in there that isn't functional.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Very Detailed Article On C6 Found... (qs01coupe)

repeat but thanks anyway!
:yesnod:

Actually old news here, but it's interesting to read it again.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:49 PM
rambler323
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Very Detailed Article On C6 Found... (Kent1999)

Also, using a complete engine cover (carbon fiber) over the intake and fuel rails done to the valve covers. This will eliminate the current two fuel rail covers and provide a cleaner look to the intake manifold.
I'm calling :bs on the CF cover. There is absolutely no reason that it could possibly need to be that strong and therefore no reason for it to be that expensive.

BTW...am I the only one who DOESN'T like the look of carbon fiber? (The material properties on the other hand I like.)
Old 07-16-2003, 11:33 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Thanks for the info. I believe, based on the article found in the lastest "Corvette Quarterly", that Carbon Fiber body panels are a very distinct possibility, the hood for certain and I believe, if not next year then in the near future other body panels of CF. The article can be found in the CQ Summer 2003 page10-15 and the comments on CF and how they managed to make it not only cost effective but paintable as well.

[Modified by ghostRder, 10:35 PM 7/16/2003]
Old 07-17-2003, 12:28 AM
2000LS1
Cruising

Default Re: Very Detailed Article On C6 Found... (Runge_Kutta)

http://www.lovecars.com/corvettecorner/c6.htm
repeat but thanks anyway! -Runge_Kutta

What was the point of this post? I said that it was a high possibility that it was old news before the article. Then I posed that exact same link after the article showing where I found it. I don't understand the purpose of your post.

[Modified by 2000LS1, 5:28 AM 7/17/2003]

[Modified by 2000LS1, 5:29 AM 7/17/2003]
Old 07-17-2003, 10:53 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

thanks for the info 2000.

I saw the XLR at cruise in 4. We got so stand with in 10 feet of it after the plant tour....a bunch of plant employees were getting a demo and taking it for test drives. I hope the C6 doesn't resemble it too closely. The body lines resemble the Stealth bomber a little too much for me. It does grow on you after a while, but still, too angular for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Very Detailed Article On C6 Found...

Quick Reply: Very Detailed Article On C6 Found...