C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 AM
vetteheadracer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Paddle Shifters?

Will the C6 have a paddle shift gearbox option?

I have it on good authority that it will.........
Old 07-15-2003, 11:27 AM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (vetteheadracer)

Since GM's goal is to make the Corvette more "corporate" it probably will and it will be shared from a current application. Probably the Comp GP.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:16 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

:nonod:

Old 07-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Loggins
Instructor

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (The Corvette Junkie)

Doesnt some new Pontiac have those paddle shifters. I think Ive seen an ad on TV with it. :rolleyes:
Old 07-15-2003, 07:01 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (Loggins)

I don't think the Pontiac qualifies for paddle shifters. Its a button shifted auto-magic. Paddles are paddles and its a manual with a clutch. Ask Ferrari, im sure they will tell you the difference. :cheers:
Old 07-15-2003, 07:06 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (flood)

:thumbs:

Okay, so the automatics will get Pontiacs button shifters from the GP Comp G package. ;)
Old 07-15-2003, 07:31 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My guess is that the C6 will get the true paddle shifted manual gearbox like the BMW or Ferrari as a midlife upgrade, just as the C5 got the active handling and HUD.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Stingray Mark
Instructor

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (The Corvette Junkie)

:iagree: .... what a disgrace to the corvette tradition... sorry guys why dont we just add big wings a can and make primer a factory color... I mean come on :rant: Call me radical corvettes should have :steering: Shiftin gears is fun :thumbs:

[Modified by Stingray Mark, 3:14 AM 7/16/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Loggins
Instructor

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (Stingray Mark)

:iagree: .... what a disgrace to the corvette tradition... sorry guys why dont we just add big wings a can and make primer a factory color... I mean come on :rant: Call me radical corvettes should have :steering: Shiftin gears is fun :thumbs:

Ya but are you saying shifting gears without taking you hands of the wheel wouldnt be?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:41 PM
bigblockbob
Drifting

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (Loggins)

Ya but are you saying shifting gears without taking you hands of the wheel wouldnt be?
:withstupid:
Some of you guys are getting too damned extreme... Whatever sales them!! hey if putting paddle shifters on em makes people who ordinarily wouldn't buy them get one than why not... as long as there is still a manually shifted manual it's all cool. and besides i thought you could still manually shift some of the paddle shifted cars?? Am i wrong on this one. Just my .02$ worht.
Thanks, BoB :thumbs:

[Modified by bigblockbob, 9:42 PM 7/15/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 11:18 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (bigblockbob)

:thumbs: Bob.

Yep, GM is making the Corvette LESS specialty and MORE corporate. It's just fact. Only way to recover costs is to spread them across various vehicles.

I personally don't think the Corvette should EVER loose an actual manual/clutch.

BUT, LESS and LESS people can drive manuals, automatics are boring so something "new" will happen to attract a new breed of buyers.

Bob Lutz may be a car guy but he'll ALSO be the guy that will blurr the parts sharing...

[Modified by H82BFST, 4:19 AM 7/16/2003]
Old 07-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Stingray Mark
Instructor

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (H82BFST)

[QUOTE]
Yep, GM is making the Corvette LESS specialty and MORE corporate. It's just fact. Only way to recover costs is to spread them across various vehicles.

I personally don't think the Corvette should EVER loose an actual manual/clutch.

BUT, LESS and LESS people can drive manuals, automatics are boring so something "new" will happen to attract a new breed of buyers.

If you ask me the only other breed of buyers out there in the "sportscar market" are the "ricers" I hope they don't change the corvette so it would appeal to them! Could you imagine that? Yikes :eek:
Old 07-16-2003, 05:28 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (Stingray Mark)

Only other market are ricers? I see more and more women driving C5's all the time. This is an untapped market for the Corvette in which the the Mustang camp owes a TON of it's sales to (I think 60+%).
(You guys have to remember there a more and more young professional females that make very good money!)

My wife loves the C5. She would have no problem driving one daily. The problem would be the 6-speed. My next Corvette will be a 6 speed, but if it was a F1 style, then I wouldn't complain.

I like new features and paddle shifters or true F1 tranny style wouldn't bother me in the C6 at all. The concern is that with these "features" it should no way "look" like any other GM car. So, change the look & feel of the plastic in the paddle shifter at least, don't just use the EXACT same piece!

GM, if you are going to do parts sharing, DON'T make if obvious!

Perfect example... the crappy "corporate" Delco radio in my C5. Same unit that was in a 19K Camaro and probably the same unit that was in other "economy" GM cars?

I don't want to be able to jump out of my Corvette into a rental and go, wow, this thing has the same radio as my vette, the same heads up display, the same steering wheel and they all look and feel the same... that's a no no for a $45K+ car!

Not to take this subject completely off topic, but the best thing GM could do is break the Corvette name from Chevy. Just like Porsche & Ferrari have parent companies, Corvette could stand on it's own as long as GM stayed true to the name. You don't hear anyone calling a Ferrari a Fiat Ferrari, so dump the Chevy before Corvette.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:42 PM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (H82BFST)

Dave Hill has said several times that their wonderful "market research" has shown that owners fall into 2 distinct camps -- those that want to shift gears manually, and those that don't at all. I interpret this to mean that they have no plans to offer a manumatic tranny in the C6. As said above, "whatever sells".
Old 07-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Stingray Mark
Instructor

Default Re: Paddle Shifters? (94vette)

Either way I think ill get me a midyear to park next to the 69 BB before I go after a C6... but it will interesting to see how things turn out. Call me old fashioned but manumatic isn't my cup of tea if you know what I mean. Thanks for pointing out the part about women buyers... I was gonna mention that and the lead to corvettes have more automatics and becomming more corporate but you guys beat me to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shifters?

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters?