C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 02:49 AM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Z06 Convertible

I was just thinking on how nice it might be to have at least an option for a convertible version of the C6 Z06 (or whatever they'll call it).
Old 06-01-2003, 08:10 AM
drvette85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: C6 Z06 Convertible (Neablas)

Would like to have a removable roof option???? :seeya
Old 06-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Now there's an idea! Have the little top be removeable,with toneau cover. No convertible top at all.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:37 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Yes it would be nice but that would compromise the rigidity of the Z06 structure and hurt the handling of the car a little bit so i think is not going to happen......GM wants the Z06 to be the best handling car it can be...... :D
Old 06-01-2003, 03:43 PM
GDP
Team Owner

I think it would be best if it was kept exclusively hardtop.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Vette9d1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: C6 Z06 Convertible (GDP)

:withstupid: It should be an all out serious package with no removable roof or convertable which compromise overall body stiffness and in the current configuration add weight. Plus lets be honest for the extra 5 grand or so you could pay a performance shop to do similar mods and come out with nearly the same power levels. Its not that hard to do and people with the coupe or convertable can continue to take this route for higher power levels.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:22 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

In a word--doubtful--- :nonod:
Old 06-02-2003, 09:17 AM
Zivnuska
Le Mans Master

Default Re: C6 Z06 Convertible (Vette9d1)

:withstupid: It should be an all out serious package with no removable roof or convertable which compromise overall body stiffness and in the current configuration add weight. Plus lets be honest for the extra 5 grand or so you could pay a performance shop to do similar mods and come out with nearly the same power levels. Its not that hard to do and people with the coupe or convertable can continue to take this route for higher power levels.
If GM were the only game in town, that line of reasoning could make sense. Fortunately, other manufacturers can put out a vert that can handle 500hp (+-). Hill and the gang should have to answer why Viper and Mercedes can do it and they can't. The body stiffness argument won't cut it.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:20 AM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

People who want a hardtop for the stiffness and few extra pounds weight savings should buy that car. What I don't understand is why anyone would tell a person that wants a convertible with the same engine, exhaust, gearing, tires and other performance items of a Z06 should go aftermarket to get it (and void their warranty). Why don't you want me to be able to have this option if I am willing to pay for it?

[Modified by rbarta, 9:22 AM 6/2/2003]
Old 06-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Mike Siska
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C6 Z06 Convertible (rbarta)

People who want a hardtop for the stiffness and few extra pounds weight savings should buy that car. What I don't understand is why anyone would tell a person that wants a convertible with the same engine, exhaust, gearing, tires and other performance items of a Z06 should go aftermarket to get it (and void their warranty). Why don't you want me to be able to have this option if I am willing to pay for it?
[Modified by rbarta, 9:22 AM 6/2/2003]

:iagree:
Old 06-02-2003, 12:41 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

[QUOTE] Why don't you want me to be able to have this option if I am willing to pay for it?
[QUOTE]

This could change with the C6, but based on the responses from every GM Vette guy that I have ever spoken to about the Z06, that car is not intended to be about comfort. It is targeted at a select few vette lovers who know before they take the keys, that will give up some comfort to get this ultra high performance car.

Remember when the C4 was introduced and many, many people ordered it with the Z51 "performance handling" package - then got their kidneys shaken out? It was years before vette overcame the bad rep. A part (a big part) of the current Z06 packaging motivation was structure and weight. Another part was, "Let's make sure that some one with more money than since does not order a Z06 just to get a "loaded" vette and end up with a car that has more performance than he can handle and blame the car." IMO this is why the targa is not an option on the Z06. It fits, I've seen them modified. The targa doesn't add much weight - 10-15lbs? But no Targa Z06.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:59 PM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: C6 Z06 Convertible (LongTimer)

Why don't you want me to be able to have this option if I am willing to pay for it?

This could change with the C6, but based on the responses from every GM Vette guy that I have ever spoken to about the Z06, that car is not intended to be about comfort. It is targeted at a select few vette lovers who know before they take the keys, that will give up some comfort to get this ultra high performance car.

Remember when the C4 was introduced and many, many people ordered it with the Z51 "performance handling" package - then got their kidneys shaken out? It was years before vette overcame the bad rep. A part (a big part) of the current Z06 packaging motivation was structure and weight. Another part was, "Let's make sure that some one with more money than since does not order a Z06 just to get a "loaded" vette and end up with a car that has more performance than he can handle and blame the car." IMO this is why the targa is not an option on the Z06. It fits, I've seen them modified. The targa doesn't add much weight - 10-15lbs? But no Targa Z06.
I understand where you are coming from. I had one of those bone jarring, kidney shaking Z51 C4s. Guess what, I loved the performance and stiff handling. GM should not be deciding what sort of comfort I want in a car based on the body style I choose. What do they think, just because I like wind in my hair, I certainly wouldn't want a higher performing car. If I just wanted wind in my hair, I'd buy a Sebring. I guess I don't want to have to compromise either/or, I want it all.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:32 PM
86_RedRider
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '05

real sports cars are coupes. verts are for joy rides. :D
Old 06-02-2003, 03:33 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be best if it was kept exclusively hardtop.
I agree if they plan to have a hardtop. If there is no hardtop for the C6 the coupe and vert should get the options package.

Keeping it on the hardtop only, shows the world that it is a true race car. The Z06 image should not be watered down. Even the new Viper has a watered down image due to the SoftRoofTop ... the Viper GTS when it comes back ... will bring the image back, if you noticed ... most companies do offer their fastest sports cars in a coupe or vert, but they do not have a hardtop to begin with.

This is all only if they have a hard top, if not ... I want a C6 Z06 Coupe!
Old 06-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Zivnuska
Le Mans Master

Default Re: C6 Z06 Convertible (AP)

This whole discussion has what I believe is a very surprising aspect to it. I am surprised that there are so many people on the Corvetteforum that who believe that it is appropriate for them to decide what other people should want or get. Axis Mundi does not run through the "Tubes" at GM. The notion that vert purchasers should be happy with less engine seems to me to be a prescription for lower market share-something GM knows all about for the last 20 years.

Give the customer what he (she) wants. Others will do it if GM won't.

A real sports car is not a vert? It seems the latest Viper (a vert) accelerates quicker, corners better, has a higher top speed and stops shorter than the "real sports car" Z06.

Step up to the challenge GM.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:03 PM
2001Speedwaywhite
Advanced

Default Re: C6 Z06 Convertible (Zivnuska)

You hit the nail on the head.

Like some guy buying a Z06 who is a weekend warrior on the race track would even actually notice the difference in the targa top vs. hard top stiffness. Come on.

Old 06-02-2003, 06:01 PM
ivan111
Drifting

By the way what is the material used in the Z06 roof? Steel or Fiberglass?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Convertible

Old 06-02-2003, 07:30 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

I understand where you are coming from. I had one of those bone jarring, kidney shaking Z51 C4s. Guess what, I loved the performance and stiff handling. GM should not be deciding what sort of comfort I want in a car based on the body style I choose. What do they think, just because I like wind in my hair, I certainly wouldn't want a higher performing car. If I just wanted wind in my hair, I'd buy a Sebring. I guess I don't want to have to compromise either/or, I want it all.
I sympathize, but it isn't your reputation at stake, it's GM's. They take the risk and reap the benefits. Maybe they will be willing to take the risk on the C6?
:cheers:
Old 06-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Hardtop only is a ruse

Z06 was hardtop-only for C5 to sell hardtops and keep production complexity to a minimum -- and help obscure the Z06's profit. The technical justifications were a smokescreen.

This shell game shouldn't be necessary for C6.

First off, let's separate Z06 from LS7. LS7 should be available on any Corvette as a standalone option, period.

With that out of the way, what we're left with is a package of extreme-handling and racing-intent parts.

If the C6 chassis truly isn't sturdy enough to handle the package with an open top, then fix the chassis. If it's just a matter of the package producing a slightly less-extreme end result on the convertible, so be it -- convertible buyers know what they're getting into. If it's a matter of limiting production in some way to make a car more collectible, see the thread in this forum on collectibles for my thoughts.

I would argue that if there are so many folks clamoring for the Z06 package on C6 convertibles -- as distinct from simply the hot motor -- then the Z06 package isn't extreme enough and GM needs to go back to the drawing board.

Remember Z51? That used to be the designation for a great-handling Corvette. Maybe Z51 needs to be where Z06 is, and Z06 needs to be off the chart.

.Jinx
Old 06-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: C6 Z06 Convertible

OK, here's my take on several points/questions brought up here...

1) I hope they keep the Z06 a hardtop-only model. That makes my Z06 convertible all the more unique. ;) Besides, the hardtop has drop-dead gorgeous lines, IMHO. Hope the C6 retains that!

2) I doubt seriously they will ever offer the Z06 in convertible form. They never did so with the ZR-1. But in the C5/C6, its more of a marketing consideration than a technology/performance issue.

3) Those that have no seat time behind the wheel of a quality Z06 convertible conversion should not make loose comments about the "loss" of handling, structural rigidity, weight gain, or anything else related to the car. I can give you facts, not assumptions. :smash:

4) That being said, of course, if you are going to *seriously* road race, autox, drag race, or whatever in a Z06, stick with the hardtop. While you won't tell ANY difference on the street, a pro on the track is another story. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

5) The Z06 is quite a bit lighter than either a coupe or convertible, but a Z06 convertible conversion is lighter, too. Fact is, the convertible top and assembly are about the same weight as the gooed-on hardtop. You still enjoy the weight savings built in with the rest of the Z06 itself. Granted, I didn't build my Z06 convertible on a diet. It has lots of extra "weight" added in (CD changer, carpets, storage covers, etc) but those were options I wanted. One of these days I've got to put it on a car scale. :p:

6) There is no additional structural bracing required on a C5 convertible (remember the C4 convert x-brace?) hence there is none required on a Z06 convertible conversion.

7) A Z06 is much more than a C5 with an LS6 in it. <duh>

8) Its easier and far cheaper to take a production C5 convertible and add go fast goodies to it which will make it faster than a stock Z06. Of course, it still won't BE a Z06, even if ya put clone badges on it. :U

9) The Z06 hardtop is fiberglass, of course. Its glued to the windshield header with that black "gorilla snot" and glued/bolted in the back. Very difficult to remove without damaging it, BTW.

10) Jon Caravaggio makes a GREAT looking targa conversion for the Z06. I think that would be a great alternative, personally (and lots less costly than a vert, too!).

Lastly, I decided against selling the car just yet (as if I was ever really seriously considering it). All the car needs is a Supercharger (this fall). Oh, and 3.90 gears, headers, Brembo's, yada, yada, yada... :)

BTW, if ya want another look, it just came out in the latest (Aug 03) issue of Corvette Fever, pp 23-25. :D

Cya in Bowling Green!!!

-Hutch-
\\ 1996 GS Convertible #707
\\ 2002 Z06 Convertible

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Convertible