C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 03:40 PM
crheinish
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged?

Just curious.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Butta
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (crheinish)

0%, No way it will happen. Corvettes have always been about stock power and technology. Ford supercharges the SVT Cobra because they lack the technology to make a better engine.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:00 PM
YellaFella
Le Mans Master

I'd say zero.

IMO, a supercharger is an expensive and heavy solution to Hp. GM has a proven engine technology to get power with normal aspiration and push rods. I’d say they will get 500hp+ without one. My bet is they don’t believe they need more hp. than that.

The normal aspiration/push rod combination provides the best weight/cost/horse power package and puts it’s mass lower in the car (esp. when compared to a turbo). Besides, the blower idea is not a traditional v8 small block Corvette solution and it will make your car sound like a vacuum cleaner.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (YellaFella)

:iagree:
Old 05-27-2003, 04:40 PM
MeatheadsC5
Burning Brakes

Zero

The corvette following would be hurt personally by this I think.
There is a tradition..

At any rate N/A with todays technology offers better fuel efficiency, better reliability, and less main. costs for their service department.

Small motors with high boost don't get good gas milage, and judging from my experiences with them - they break. After they break they are expensive to fix, and harder to work on yourself. Though I will say the turbo buick motors of a few years ago were quite impressive, not in a vette! :U
Old 05-27-2003, 04:47 PM
sboxster
Pro

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (99Mongoose400SS)

I have noticed that this vehicle (unlike my Porsche) is a bit different in the way it was designed.

GM allows YOU, the customer to configure the vehicle any way YOU want. Not be stuck with what the manufactor gives you.

:chevy :chevy
Old 05-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (sboxster)

I think the chances are pretty good if you buy a C6 and a Supercharger!!!
:yesnod: :lol: :cheers: :lol: :yesnod:
Old 05-27-2003, 08:04 PM
vette-freak
Pro

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (Rocketblock)

From the factory........none, nada, zero.
From aftermarket vendors.........1000%, as soon as they can sell it, as soon as you can buy it!
Old 05-27-2003, 09:07 PM
GDP
Team Owner

No chance of a chance of a C6 coming from the factory with a supercharger.

This should be blatantly obvious if you look at the overhead spyshot of the black C6. There's not enough room for a supercharger under the hood, and I'll guarantee that if they were planning on one, they'd definately be testing it on the roads right now.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:04 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (GDP)

The only Y-body that will ever see a supercharger as a factory option is the XLR because like Fords four cam V-8, Cadillac's puny little "high-tech" four cam 32-valve V-8 can't make anywhere near the torque and power of the pushrod Small Block Chevy V-8 without one.

Duke
Old 06-16-2003, 08:46 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (SWCDuke)

Matter of fact, several early experimental versions of the XLR carried a supercharged Northstar with an interesting twist. The body of the supercharger had a water jacket as a way of cooling the air without introducing an intercooler between the supercharger and the intake manafold. Kept the hood line low. GM got a patent on that one. There have been occasional rumors of high power, supercharged XLRs under test. It would fit the marketing direction as both MB and Jag carry supercharged models. Eaton and IHI screw type are used.

More recently, GM Powertrain was reported as experimenting with a supercharged Vortex 6000 for marine applications. One of the mags, forget which one, carried a picture with very little info. :cool:
Old 06-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Process Black
Drifting

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (I Bin Therbefor)

I wouldn't doubt that GM had a high performance XLR in the works. That would be great competition for the Mercedes SL55 AMG since the current XLR can already smoke an SL500.

[Modified by ObeyC6, 10:40 AM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Butta
Pro

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (ObeyC6)

I wouldn't doubt that GM had a high performance XLR in the works. That would be great competition for the Mercedes SL55 AMG since the current XLR can already smoke an SL500.

[Modified by ObeyC6, 10:40 AM 6/17/2003]
No doubt about that, it's a done deal, it will be called XLR-V, just like the CTS-V.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:20 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (Butta)

Ford supercharges the SVT Cobra because they lack the technology to make a better engine.
Lacks technology? What are you smoking?

The Mustang has a modern DOHC 32V layout...vs pushrods and big cubes in the Chevy...I'd say that we are the ones lacking in technology...although, with our efficient head design, and 5.7 liters to their 4.6, we get the job done just fine. The Cobra makes 370+ rwhp bone stock....more than any LS1/LS6.

So does Mercedes "lack technology" in their supercharged multivalve V8 AMG cars that run low 12s at over 2 tons?

[Modified by DoctorV8, 2:21 PM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Butta
Pro

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (DoctorV8)

Ford supercharges the SVT Cobra because they lack the technology to make a better engine.

Lacks technology? What are you smoking?

The Mustang has a modern DOHC 32V layout...vs pushrods and big cubes in the Chevy...I'd say that we are the ones lacking in technology...although, with our efficient head design, and 5.7 liters to their 4.6, we get the job done just fine. The Cobra makes 370+ rwhp bone stock....more than any LS1/LS6.

So does Mercedes "lack technology" in their supercharged multivalve V8 AMG cars that run low 12s at over 2 tons?

[Modified by DoctorV8, 2:21 PM 6/17/2003]
I'm sick and tire of hearing that crap, the cobra cannot keep up with the Z06 and it loses against a manual coupe, so the "primitive" LS1 and LS6 is still beating the "high tech" and more expensive 4.6 piece that Ford has (by the way they are still running on a 1978 chassis). The difference with Mercedes and Ford is that MB has a solid power plant not some "high tech" V8 that needs a superchager to pull 390 horses. Put a supercharger on the LS1 or LS6 and see what kind of numbers it gets. I'll say about 500 easy.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:03 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (Butta)

No one is debating that the Fox chassis is in a different league, price and technology wise, compared to the Vette. And yes, it is slower than a Z06.

We are talking ENGINES here, and the reason the Z06 is quicker is because it is lighter. In stock trim, the Cobra MOTOR is more powerful, and 500 rwhp is just a few bolt ons away.

The difference with Mercedes and Ford is that MB has a solid power plant not some "high tech" V8 that needs a superchager to pull 390 horses. Put a supercharger on the LS1 or LS6 and see what kind of numbers it gets. I'll say about 500 easy.
The Ford has a blower, forged rods, forged pistons, low compression, and a stout iron block. The LS6 has none of these features....itwas not designed for a blower, and it doesn't have one, anyway. We're talking OEM here, not aftermarket.

The LS6 makes great power in a very compact, lightweight package, but the Cobra motor is more powerful, with even more power just a pulley change away. 500 rwhp takes a lot more $$$ in an LS1/LS6.

So why is the Mercedes a "solid powerplant" and the Ford is not? Care to edumacate me, Butta? :D

[Modified by DoctorV8, 4:20 PM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 05:17 PM
MeatheadsC5
Burning Brakes

The LS1 was released in 1997 right. How many years has a taken to produce an engine in stock trim that makes more power. 6-7 years. Since then not much has changed about the engine.

What it took was an aftermarket company in a sense, as in lingenfelter, or slp, to produce a built engine specifically designed to beat the LS1/LS6 in performance.

All it would take, is a built motor from a specialty tuning company like SVT, to knock fords socks off. It's a shame GM never offered a "true" performance option. They cam close with the Z06, but why not make a 427ci motor an option on the Z? GM doesn't offer a "comparable" muslced car.

Calling N/A motors old technology is just ignorant. I don't call 320 RWHP w/ 30mpg on pump gas old technology. I think the "ya well if the LS1 was supercharged" argument a waste of time becaue its not uilt for a blower. I would imagine with stroking, heads and cams, you could make a lot more power on a cobra motor as well. What difference does how you make your power make? Each has a + /- .

Get notified of new replies

To What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged?

Old 06-17-2003, 05:24 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged? (99Mongoose400SS)

It's a shame GM never offered a "true" performance option. They cam close with the Z06
They used to....it was spelled ZR-1, and it had 50% more power than the base vette. We would need 525 hp to equal that kind of improvement over the LS1 today.

It also had the highest "visual HP" of any Vette motor EVER.

(see below)

[Modified by DoctorV8, 4:39 PM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 05:34 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

[Modified by DoctorV8, 4:34 PM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 06:27 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey thats not a stock LT5. :D

Quick Reply: What are the chances of the C6 being supercharged?