C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 08:54 PM
jurzdevil
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front License Plate

I just noticed that with the grill going across the entire front of the car, where is the front plate going to go for those who need it?

c5s look ok as the palte fits in but it doesnt seem the c6 has that spot for it!
Old 05-05-2003, 09:28 PM
74_LS-4
Racer

Default Re: Front License Plate (jurzdevil)

I'm sure there will be an accessory bracket like there is with other cars. My NSX and 74 each had one, fortunately I live in a state that doesn't require a front plate.

-Jim
Old 05-12-2003, 12:27 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Right in the middle, to obstruct airflow and make it aerodynamically inefficient! :reddevil :p:
Old 05-12-2003, 02:52 AM
veXati0n
Burning Brakes

you could be a ricer and hang it...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
diagonally

Old 05-12-2003, 03:12 AM
SHOWTIME!
Safety Car

Default Re: Front License Plate (veXati0n)

Does anyone actually put one on ?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:32 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plate (SHOWTIME!)

State requires it and I don't need the hassle, so yes. :yesnod:

Old 05-12-2003, 03:09 PM
50MileSmile
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plate (GDP)

Right in the middle, to obstruct airflow and make it aerodynamically inefficient! :reddevil :p:
And don't forget to make it a better target for radar guns, too! :eek:

BTW, I run my front plate all the time, because I don't want to give the revenuers any reason to stop me. When I was much younger (and maybe a little unwiser) during the 55-mph national speed limit, I ran this plate: YGO55. It was noticed by so many nice people in uniforms that I went back to a regular plate after six months, although I never got a ticket because of it. :bs
Old 06-12-2003, 03:26 PM
muscl2
Intermediate

Default Re: Front License Plate (50MileSmile)

I just got ticketed for not having the front plate on (car was just parked at a meter on the street), so I'm going to have to put it on so that I can get the ticket signed-off by a police officer. I haven't really looked at how to get the "Corvette" plate off, but how does it come off? Do I have to buy anything to put the license plate on? I plan on taking it back off after I show the officer. Thanks for any help. :)
Old 06-12-2003, 04:07 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plate (SHOWTIME!)

I rarely see any here, even though it's the law. I don't want to get hassled either but I think it ruins the look. If I get a ticket I'll temporarily put it on and take it back off after the ticket is dismissed. :yesnod:
Old 06-12-2003, 04:21 PM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plate (SBSB)

I was ticketed for no front license plate in Maryland when I had a C4. Now I always have a front license plate on.

Now if the C6 has the front fascia that I expect, it will have a bracket and cover part of the intake opening. Then I will go back to no front plate. If I get pulled over, I will just grab the front plate from behind the passenger seat and put it on the passenger dashboard. I will back it with felt so that it does not scratch the dash.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:48 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Front License Plate (muscl2)

I just got ticketed for not having the front plate on (car was just parked at a meter on the street), so I'm going to have to put it on so that I can get the ticket signed-off by a police officer. I haven't really looked at how to get the "Corvette" plate off, but how does it come off? Do I have to buy anything to put the license plate on? I plan on taking it back off after I show the officer. Thanks for any help. :)
Two torx screws at the bottom edge. You have to be careful trying to get them loose and not scratch the bumper. Then there are two tabs at the top.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:14 PM
muscl2
Intermediate

Default Re: Front License Plate (R94 LT 1)

I'm taking tomorrow off from work, so I'll give it a shot.

This has turned into more of a project than I expected, because I found out that I need to purchase a bracket for the license plate. The first dealership I called told me that GM doesn't make one, then I called a second dealership that has one in stock. They're holding it for me. Hope the second one is correct.

Thanks for the info! :seeya
Old 06-13-2003, 02:23 AM
vizkiz
Threadkiller
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Front License Plate (muscl2)

NY requires a front plate, but the cops usually don't bother people about it. The front plate is on my 84, it's just under the nosemask. My dad put the front plate on his 90 because the previous owner had it there, so he just put his new one there.

[Modified by vizkiz, 2:23 AM 6/13/2003]
Old 06-13-2003, 10:43 AM
73Silver
Advanced

In Ohio front plates are required. I have not put mine on my '03 coupe yet. I know that I am courting a $70.00 ticket if I get stopped by one of our State Patrol officers or the cop mentioned in the "Rumor" below.

Rumor has it that a Columbus Freeway cop whose name sounds like "Miller" who just loves to harrass Corvettes and other high performance cars by stopping and giving them tickets for not having a plate affixed to the front of the bumper. Some folks put them in the front winshield - Tackey - and some folks put them on the spoiler. Neither tricks work with that Columbus Freeway cop. (No grace period either - just pay the $70.00 and put the plate on too.)
Old 06-13-2003, 11:11 AM
JohnC
Pro

Default Re: Front License Plate (73Silver)

In Ohio front plates are required. I have not put mine on my '03 coupe yet. I know that I am courting a $70.00 ticket if I get stopped by one of our State Patrol officers or the cop mentioned in the "Rumor" below.
I got nailed in Columbus area a couple of years ago(in my 99 coupe). $90 I started running a front plate after that :(

Haven't been bothered in my NSX(yet).
Old 06-14-2003, 04:58 PM
LTD
Racer

who cares?
Old 06-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I just noticed that with the grill going across the entire front of the car, where is the front plate going to go for those who need it?
:confused: How do you know that the grill is across the entire front of the car?
What photos have you seen. You are going by photoshop jobs and Magazine concepts.

Get notified of new replies

To Front License Plate

Quick Reply: Front License Plate