C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Silver&Black2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation?

OK, so everybody's seen the Autoweek spy pics and formed their own opinions of the C6 body styling and how much it varies/is similar to the C5. I admit, Motor Trend's C6 spy shots about 2 months back got me more excited than the actual spy pics of the car from Autoweek. At least the Motor Trend pics differed a slight bit from the C5 styling. Don't get me wrong, I love my C5 and it will always be a stylish car that will never look dated. I just think that the "C6", IMHO, is not really the sixth generation of Corvette, but only perhaps the C5 & 1/2. Every generation change has brought about a new, fresh body style, with new curves and some old ones thrown in for good measure. Granted, the C6s will be even more technologically advanced than our beloved (and highly technical) C5s, but other than that....what? New taillights :skep: a slightly modded front end :skep: a longer rear window :skep: I mean come on GM. The engine will be better, for sure....but I think Corvette has been down this road before. The C4 updated it's looks (front bumper, rear window, rear section, taillights from round to almost squared) during it's 12 year run, but it was still a C4. I want to hear your opinions. Please vote in the poll, and leave an explanation of why you voted the way you did. I'm anxious to see the results and see if I'm the only one who feels this way.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:30 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Default Re: Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation? (Silver&Black2000)

I want a radically redesigned car, something to make me want to buy it. If it looks like the autoweek pics, and only offers a bit more techy stuff and a more powerful engine, I'm keeping my C5. On the other hand, if they come out with an edgy-design, over the top, 500hp C6 Z06, GM is definitely getting my $$. :lurk:
Old 05-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Default Re: Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation? (DsC5)

There probably have been many major changes to the C6 which are not seen, such as suspension, electronic, engine etc. Just because the outside is not total different, the car can still be a C6 because of the other changes.

Just my .02
Old 05-01-2003, 06:59 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation? (Silver&Black2000)

Maybe I was expecting more than a Camaro nose.

Tom
Old 05-01-2003, 03:45 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Its the new generation CAMARO.....look at it closely, the front of the C6 and the 2002 Camaro....they are VERY CLOSE.....I think the Vette C-6 will be the new Camaro.... :U
Old 05-01-2003, 03:47 PM
stinger95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Going on looks alone, I'd take a C5 over that in a heartbeat!
Old 05-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

but I think Corvette has been down this road before. The C4 updated it's looks (front bumper, rear window, rear section, taillights from round to almost squared) during it's 12 year run, but it was still a C4

:withstupid:
Old 05-01-2003, 04:23 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,422 Likes on 762 Posts

I didn't vote, because I couldn't add another column for "I don't think we've seen the true C6 body yet". I think that GM is using C5 body panels, slightly modded (maybe early design attempts that were rejected), with the front and rear cladded like crazy.

We'll see next year.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-01-2003, 04:36 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't think we get a vote. C6 will be what Chevrolet defines. We are going to have to wait to SEE the actual car to make a decision as to like or dislike. I am willing to give them the benefit-of-the-doubt as they have not built one yet I didn't like. :cheers:
Old 05-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Silver&Black2000
Instructor

After reading some of the posts, I remembered a conversation I had with a salesman at a Chevy dealership in January. He told me that the C6 would be a bit more radically styled than the C5, but that they had seen different releases from Chevy on what exactly it would look like. He pulled me over to the side and said that he, along with the managers of the dealership, felt that the 'true C6' may not come along for another two model years because the relaunch of the Camaro could be in 2004-5. He pointed to a 2003 C5 in the showroom and said "the new Camaros will probably be based on the fifth generation Corvette." Looks like the next gen Camaro is here, now where's the C6? :skep: :D
Old 05-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Off to C6. :seeya
Old 05-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Bigdaddypr
Drifting

Location: “God decided to make things interesting by adding Jerks to the earth.” Watertown SD
Default Re: Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation? (Umrswimr)

but I think Corvette has been down this road before. The C4 updated it's looks (front bumper, rear window, rear section, taillights from round to almost squared) during it's 12 year run, but it was still a C4

Old 05-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Default Re: Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation? (Bigdaddypr)

The Corvette isn't just about symantics and labels. The C6 will not dissapoint.
:yesnod:
Old 05-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation? (Rocketblock)

during a live chat, I asked Dave Hill just that question... will the next changes comming to the Corvette be enough of a change to call it the "C6"; he said yes.

Again, my impression of Dave Hill is that he is not into the past Corvette heritage as much as us enthusiasts are. And he just may start ordering changes to the Corvette every couple of years; with total disregard to the "C" designation rules that had been formulated over the years past.

In the next 10 years or so, we may see "C4 1991 type changes" done every two or three years on the Corvette.

[Modified by Mike Mercury, 6:18 PM 5/1/2003]
Old 05-01-2003, 07:09 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Darn, I can't add a new choice: "Stop with the stupid polls." :rolleyes: :leaving:
Old 05-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

1. The Autoweek spy pics do not show you what C6 looks like.

2. The Autoweek rendering is Autoweek's GUESS of what C6 looks like. Given other facts already known about C6, the astute observer already knows that the Autoweek rendering is wrong.

3. Beta cars are camouflaged to look like C5s only uglier on purpose.

4. You do not know what C6 looks like.

5. The Autoweek spy pics have given you no new information on the engineering of the C6.

6. The Autoweek spy pics have certainly not given enough new information on the styling of the C6 to prompt reevaluation of whether C6 is "really a C6, or just a C5.5."

7. The extent of the architectural changes are already well-known thanks to XLR.

8. The "C" designation is a marketing tool, not an official code or definition. GM is the de facto and de jure authority on what is or is not a C6. If GM calls it C6, it is C6.

.Jinx
Like children wandering into the middle of a movie
Old 05-02-2003, 07:01 PM
bkuper
Racer

Default Re: Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation? (Jinx)

1. The Autoweek spy pics do not show you what C6 looks like.

2. The Autoweek rendering is Autoweek's GUESS of what C6 looks like. Given other facts already known about C6, the astute observer already knows that the Autoweek rendering is wrong.

3. Beta cars are camouflaged to look like C5s only uglier on purpose.

4. You do not know what C6 looks like.

5. The Autoweek spy pics have given you no new information on the engineering of the C6.

6. The Autoweek spy pics have certainly not given enough new information on the styling of the C6 to prompt reevaluation of whether C6 is "really a C6, or just a C5.5."

7. The extent of the architectural changes are already well-known thanks to XLR.

8. The "C" designation is a marketing tool, not an official code or definition. GM is the de facto and de jure authority on what is or is not a C6. If GM calls it C6, it is C6.

.Jinx
Like children wandering into the middle of a movie
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Get notified of new replies

To Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation?

Old 05-02-2003, 07:02 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

I doubt this is how the C6 will look! I'll bet these pics are of a slightly modified C5 body on a Caddy XLR chassis. OPPS, I meant C6 chassis! :rofl:

Tom
Old 05-02-2003, 07:45 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation? (TCW)

WOW. Some of you guys (19 so far, I think) crack me up. Did you all live near Smallville when the metor hit? You must have used your X-Ray vision to see through all the padding under those bras (front and back) and the cammo on the roof and sides to see that the design is just C5.5. Oh, and let's just forget the longer WB and shorter overhangs. We can only glean small, but important bits of information from the spy shots. And yet some of you are questioning if this is a new Gen or not. IF that is your position, do you consider the C3 and C2 to be the same Gen? They are nearly identical under the FGlass. Maybe we should make Chevy change their reference points for Gen identification to what you guys say here.

Look, who cares what gen it is! It will be at least 100 lbs lighter and have 400+hp in the standard model. Crank those numbers into your Lbs / HP formula and tell me that you won't have a smile when you're merging from the on ramp at 80mph :steering: , but the targa top is enterchangable with the C5 - I don't care, give me the keys!!! :rant:
Old 05-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

I think that the benchmark for determining generations should be the C2-C3 change. There are far more differences between the C5 and C6 than there were between the C2 and C3.

Quick Reply: Should the "next gen" C6 really be the next generation?