C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Arnie
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default C6 Brakes?

With the 2005 Cadillac CTS-V having 14" rotors and Brembo brakes, do you think they may show up on the C6?

[Modified by Arnie, 11:56 AM 4/20/2003]
Old 04-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Saving 4 C6
Pro

Default Re: C6 Brakes? (Arnie)

I'd say there's a pretty good chance of that happening. It would be really sweet if they included cross drilled rotors. :eek:
Old 04-20-2003, 02:47 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C6 Brakes? (Saving 4 C6)

I read specifically that the XLR and the C6 would share the same brake hardware. I wouldn't be surprised to see different pads on the vette, but I don't expect it to be like the CTS V. The brakes are going to be essentially the same as the one's on the C5, which are by all accounts adequate for a sports car.

Scott
Old 04-20-2003, 05:25 PM
Arnie
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: C6 Brakes? (LymanSS)

The brakes are going to be essentially the same as the one's on the C5, which are by all accounts adequate for a sports car.
Why settle for adequate? I'd rather see the 4 piston Bremboson the C6.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Would some one post pitcures of the XLR calipers and rotors (showing thickness perhaps)
Old 04-20-2003, 09:12 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The brakes are going to be essentially the same as the one's on the C5, which are by all accounts adequate for a sports car.

Why settle for adequate? I'd rather see the 4 piston Bremboson the C6.

Anyone who's read my posts on the C6 would probably catch on to the fact that I am the last person who would call for merely "adequate" anything on the C6. But chances are the folks at GM will be happy with adequate. Just bear in mind that the Z06 using those brakes get's 60-0 times of not much over 100 feet. Knock a hundred pounds off of the car and give it better tires, and you're talking about even better performance. I think you'll see Z06-like stopping distances for the base car, and something even better for the Z06. I could see them going to larger brakes for the Z06, but who knows. One of the things that kept the Z06 so affordable is that so many of the parts are the same. The brake upgrade consisted of painted calipers and different pads. The more the differentiate the performance version of the car for the base car (in terms of having different parts) the greater the cost disparity will be. So I expect they will most likely keep the same brakes on the Z06 C6 as well. As for thickness and diameter, they are identical to the C5 (according to XLR specs from the GM press release). If you'd like pictures, your best bet would be to look at a C5, as I don't know of any good closeups of the XLR's wheels/brakes.

Scott
Old 04-20-2003, 10:20 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Re: C6 Brakes? (LymanSS)

One other point. The performance of the same brakes applied to different cars varies with a lot of factors. One of the biggest factors is the weight of the car itself. If the weight of the XLR is as advertised and the weight of the C-6 undercuts the XLR by any appreciable amount, perhaps as much as 500 lbs, the same brakes as the XLR with proper linings will perform very well on the C-6. Hopefully, brake performance is one area where the C-5R team's input has had a lot of influence on the C-6. :cool:
Old 04-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Re: C6 Brakes? (I Bin Therbefor)

Larger rotors add mass -- and they add it in the worst place possible. A 3,000 pound sports car does not need the same braking hardware as a 4,000 pound sports sedan.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:13 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: C6 Brakes? (Jinx)

Though I would like to see some Wilwood-level 6pot system be offered as a premium option, I really don't see it happening. As Lyman said, the brakes are good now, and if you can drop the weight of the car down to the 3000lb range, those good brakes will become great brakes, and likely the choice of GM.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:50 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: C6 Brakes? (BQuicksilver)

Anyone that does track days in a C5 knows they are not good at prolonged use, take away 400 pounds and they still will not be good.

If they do it right they can put bigger brakes with no weight penalty, it just comes down to cost. I upgraded the brakes on my C5 myself to 13.4" rotors and 4 piston calipers that now give me fade free braking on track days. The setup also weight less than stock.

99% of Vette owners will not put their brakes through the abuse that someone that does track days. The current C5 brakes are more than good enough for street and fine for autocross. The XLR that was at the car show looked to have the same brakes as the C5. I hope they do upgrade but won't be surprised if they don't.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Brakes?

Quick Reply: C6 Brakes?