C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I do in this situation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 07:21 PM
OsirisY2K
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What can I do in this situation.

Hello,

I purchased a C6 Grand Sport Corvette from a Texas dealer. It had 40K miles when I bought it and was modified (see attachments below). Despite some minor wear, I took delivery of the vehicle on April 20th and drove it back from Dallas, about a 200-mile trip. I commuted with it for a week, then went to New Jersey for another week before deciding to get an oil change.

During the oil change, my technician discovered that the oil was murky, filled with metal, and seemed like it hadn't been changed in ages. Additionally, he noticed a leak in the rear main seal. On my drive home the same day, I observed a significant amount of smoke emanating from the rear of the car, prompting me to have it towed to work for diagnosis.

Upon inspection, my mainline technician identified not only the rear main leak but also a transmission leak, transmission lines touching the headers, and wiring sitting on the headers.

When I initially considered purchasing the car, the advertisement claimed it had just been serviced and was ready for enjoyment. It also mentioned features like a HUD (which turned out to be untrue)
The oil that was drained from the car.

"just serviced and ready to be enjoyed" this is an ancient filter.

Transmission lines touching headers.

Wiring touching headers.

Oil filter unraveled.

Top of the oil filter cut.

(They adjusted their listing after I raised this issue), extensive tuning, and available extended warranty options also not true.)

All these claims have proven to be false. Despite my attempts to negotiate with the dealer for a buyback, they're refusing and offering an inadequate compensation compared to the purchase price. I'm seeking advice on potential legal recourse, given that I'm located in Texas and only drove the car 400 miles I can't afford to repair the vehicle and it's my transport to and from work.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:31 PM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,215 Likes on 685 Posts

O U C H - Hopefully an experienced lawyer might be able to assist you.

All that comes to mind is “Buyer beware

Sorry!
Old 05-08-2024, 07:31 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 994 Likes on 639 Posts

Sounds like you took the dealer at their word. Chances are you bought the car “As Is” amd may not have any recourse. I would consult with a lawyer to see what actions if any can be taken.

Hope you get this resolved.
The following 2 users liked this post by sramzzz:
Landru (05-09-2024), rc51racer (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 08:09 PM
leebay
Melting Slicks

Received 634 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by sramzzz
Sounds like you took the dealer at their word. Chances are you bought the car “As Is” amd may not have any recourse. I would consult with a lawyer to see what actions if any can be taken.

Agree with sramzzz, did you sign a " As Is "no warranty document ? I've been thru this before and the lawyer told me I'm better off to fix the repairs vrs going to court & losing the case. Hope you get this resolved.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:11 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 254 Likes on 182 Posts

Recommend you check with your states laws regarding both false advertising by an auto dealer and buy back obligations if any by a dealer. You may possibly have some legal recourse that you don't even know about. Almost looks like you've got some water in the oil and if so that's definitely not good. Best wishes, hope this gets resolved in your favor.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,510 Likes on 2,830 Posts

I'm gonna be blunt. It's a VERY used car. It was sold as is, where is, no warranty. You claim you "only drove it 400 miles", but that's a lot of time. You could have money shifted it, N bombed it, etc etc.

Unfortunately, you really have no real options but to fix it, or sell it. Sucks when stuff like this happens.
The following 2 users liked this post by FAUEE:
Lee Cromwell (05-08-2024), R&L's C6 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 08:19 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,510 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by rbwinston
Recommend you check with your states laws regarding both false advertising by an auto dealer and buy back obligations if any by a dealer. You may possibly have some legal recourse that you don't even know about. Almost looks like you've got some water in the oil and if so that's definitely not good. Best wishes, hope this gets resolved in your favor.
His state's laws wouldnt matter since he bought out of state
Old 05-08-2024, 09:13 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 994 Likes on 639 Posts

Yea this will relate to Texas Law. I did a quick google and the agreement is usually binding once the car leaves the lot. May be recourse to return it if the dealer was deceptive. I think that will be hard to prove as it appears there was no PPI or personal inspection done by the OP.

Just based on the pics it looks like a head gasket has blown. Since metal was mentioned that motor needs to come apart. Might be cheaper to just get a short block and call it a day. In any case that is an expensive fix just for the motor.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:39 PM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Received 483 Likes on 269 Posts

You're probably hosed. Love my c6, but with the age of the car and several parts being extremely hard to find it's not the greatest choice as a lone means of transportation to begin with. These cars seem to be mostly babies or absolutely thrashed with very little middle ground. Your only hope is to prove they purposely mislead you and knowingly falsified the condition of the car. That's almost impossible to do.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:59 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,764 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Pre-purchase inspection would have saved you a lot of headaches. Most times, especially with modified cars, a dealer has no idea what has or hasn't been done to it. This is why buying a modded car is a crap shoot. Fortunately, my Grand Sport when I bought it in 2022 with ~36K miles was stock except for a cold air intake. When I test drove it, I checked for leaks, checked the oil, all the usual stuff, but I didn't do a PPI, so I rolled the dice. It helped that I bought it from the original owner, so there was a lot of history to go along with the car. Week one of ownership, I took it to a Corvette specialty mechanic and had it checked over front to rear and had all of the fluids changed out for peace of mind.

There are quite a few of us here in Texas willing and able to check out a car on your behalf. I did that not long ago for another forum member. I know it's a little late, but it's food for thought on any future purchases.

In Texas, there's the Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) that overrides "as-is" if you can prove the seller knew there were problems with the car that weren't disclosed. Best of luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by VetteVinnie:
Kr65 (05-14-2024), RocketRob (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:24 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,782 Likes on 3,046 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I'm gonna be blunt. It's a VERY used car. It was sold as is, where is, no warranty. You claim you "only drove it 400 miles", but that's a lot of time. You could have money shifted it, N bombed it, etc etc.

Unfortunately, you really have no real options but to fix it, or sell it. Sucks when stuff like this happens.
Most used cars are sold "as is" so you are probably stuck with a modified car that you don't have any history on, you own now so get it fixed & move on

Last edited by 449er; 05-09-2024 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,711 Likes on 1,425 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Too late.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:38 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,186 Likes on 636 Posts

curious to what dealership
The following 2 users liked this post by Travlee:
jbc1995fb (05-09-2024), Landru (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:54 AM
Whitepony04
Tired Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Travlee
Me too.
The following users liked this post:
jbc1995fb (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 07:04 AM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,397 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Travlee
Originally Posted by Whitepony04
Me two.
Me three
Old 05-09-2024, 07:18 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,186 Likes on 636 Posts

the three that pop in my head are
- corvette warehouse
- corvette world (but they usually dont have modded cars)
- Texas Hot Rides (i bought current c7 and ats-v from them with no issues)
Old 05-09-2024, 07:49 AM
OsirisY2K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 6 Shooter
O U C H - Hopefully an experienced lawyer might be able to assist you.

All that comes to mind is “Buyer beware

Sorry!
I unfortunately did sign a "AS IS" agreement, there is a act that protects buyers if the seller knew there was a problem with the car, so I need to get a UCI report if possible.

Get notified of new replies

To What can I do in this situation.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:50 AM
OsirisY2K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sramzzz

I'll see what I can do, I did sign a "AS IS" but I doubt they even serviced this vehicle before sell.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:51 AM
OsirisY2K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leebay
Agree with sramzzz, did you sign a " As Is "no warranty document ? I've been thru this before and the lawyer told me I'm better off to fix the repairs vrs going to court & losing the case. Hope you get this resolved.
Yep I did sign one hopefully I can figure out something.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:52 AM
OsirisY2K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FAUEE

Honest to God I drove it like a grandma, it had bald tires so I didn't want to risk a blow out or wrecking it. Half those miles was driving it back from Dallas.

Quick Reply: What can I do in this situation.