C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major issues with dealership work

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 06:33 PM
BMOX
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major issues with dealership work

Hello! Apologies for the long post. I'm having some major problems with my car that's currently being worked on at Chevy.

On February 12, I hydroplaned and hit a bigger trucks tire, appeared to be mostly body damage, was told it would be fixable in a week. Some mechanical issues were found later.

It's now about 9.5 weeks later and I still haven't got the car. I've been calling at least every other day and very few updates were given if any. Tuesday I called the dealership for an update on the car, and they had informed me the battery had drained and I needed to buy a new one. The battery that was in the car was on a warranty so I told them l'd take it and replace it on the warranty.

Go to look at the car and this is what I find:
-awful bumper fitment 2 weeks after body work has been finished
-paint scratches and scuffs that weren’t there when I had it
- missing taillight (damaged by towing company)
-cracked windows from battery disconnect, no one could answer how long they had been cracked or outside like that. It has been raining.
-mold, didn’t stay long enough to see if it was something on the floor molding or if it was the carpet itself
- tear in my seat

Has anyone had these kind of problems? I feel like I've been fighting for anything to get done and this is what I walk up to after 2+ months of work. I don’t get the car back for roughly another two weeks (in theory lol) so I have time to figure this stuff out before I show up and pay for pickup. I would like to keep this one for sentimental reasons as it’s been in my family since I was 7, but if it comes time to part ways with it I wouldn’t mind buying another one lol. Any advice on what I should communicate with the insurance, dealership, or any mental notes I should take?

Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1787.mov (12.25 MB, 17 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_1788.mov (19.19 MB, 11 views)
Old 04-21-2024, 08:22 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

A Chevy dealer did that to your Corvette? What the H$#@! I would be irate!
Old 04-21-2024, 08:49 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,030 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Get your insurance company on the phone and have them send out an adjuster to do a once over on the car once GM dealer states is ready, before you pick it up.
Until its correct (any wrench damage, or towing/shop induced new problems) they are not going to cut the check to the dealer.
Hell, would meet with adjuster at the gm dealer, to go over the shop induced problems with leaving it out in the rain with windows down, as well as any items that where not repaired correctly in the end.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dano523:
jimmymack (04-22-2024), Mike98SilVert (04-21-2024), WasVette (04-24-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 10:43 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I hear these horror stories all the time. Sorry this had to happen to you. I took my 2008 Corvette Z06 to the Chevy dealer once for an oil change many years ago, and I watched in horror as some kid scraped the hell out of the rocker panels trying to get it onto some metal ramps to lift the car. I have never taken any of my Corvettes to a dealer since. I scoured the Corvette club scene for all the best mechanics and body shops, and I've been using the same Corvette specialty body shop and specialty mechanic for 15+ year now. Of course, I also do a lot of stuff myself, but when it comes to the hard stuff like body and paint (or when I just don't feel like messing with it at any given moment), I call my lifelines.

Best of luck. Hopefully the insurance company makes it right. I'd be pretty pissed off if that were my car.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:50 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm not sure that the insurance company is going to cover damage that occurred outside of the accident and clearly caused by the dealer. I think you should start with the body shop manager, nicely, and work your way up from there.

Odds are that they planned to clean up the car, polish it, etc. before final delivery.
The following 2 users liked this post by yeller z06:
BMOX (04-22-2024), Landru (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 01:45 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
I'm not sure that the insurance company is going to cover damage that occurred outside of the accident and clearly caused by the dealer. I think you should start with the body shop manager, nicely, and work your way up from there.

Odds are that they planned to clean up the car, polish it, etc. before final delivery.
A good insurance company will. Ask me how I know. They will pay for the repairs then go back and sue the dealer if find enough evidence.

OP - After your accident, if the initial claim was through your insurance company, there should be a paper trail of everything that was intially approved by them to be replaced with estimated costs. File a second claim with your insurance company based on what you found and let them know that you havent taken delievery of the car yet (or at least that is what it sounds like). Dont sign anything from the dealer until you put the second claim in and let your insurance company do what they need to do.
The following users liked this post:
BMOX (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 03:24 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Don't take a 10 plus year old used Chevy to the dealer for service or repair, this is what you will get. The dealer doesn't even want your car in their shop.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:17 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06

^^^This... Go to the dealer and show them what you have observed that was damaged or not correct on the repair. Be business like, don't raise your voice, and calmly talk through it. If you do not get satisfaction from that person, respectfully ask to speak to their manager. Just make sure you do not sign or pay anything until everyone is agreed on what next steps are to correct everything.

If you go in there with an attitude they will shut down and not want to help you. I hope you get this sorted out.

I know it is to late but in the future do a walk around of the vehicle and have them agree on what is or is not damaged before a repair. Video tape this walk around so there is no confusion later,

Get notified of new replies

To Major issues with dealership work

Quick Reply: Major issues with dealership work