C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Program

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 11:47 AM
2008_aught-six
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS Program

So I bought some new wheels/tires/TPMS and I want to take them somewhere to get mounted. Normally I would just take the whole car to Discount and have them knock it all out but with these wheels being a bit nicer I'm looking for a local performance shop to just mount the new tires and then I'll bring them back to my house to be mounted after I've knocked out a few other suspension items. What's the process on the TPMS program/relearn? Do they need the car (or the old wheels/tires) before installing the TPMS and mounting the tire to reprogram? Or can they get it all mounted for me and I drive the car back and they program it?

Sorry I've never had to deal with replacing TPMS so I'm not very informed on the subject.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:20 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008_aught-six
So I bought some new wheels/tires/TPMS and I want to take them somewhere to get mounted. Normally I would just take the whole car to Discount and have them knock it all out but with these wheels being a bit nicer I'm looking for a local performance shop to just mount the new tires and then I'll bring them back to my house to be mounted after I've knocked out a few other suspension items. What's the process on the TPMS program/relearn? Do they need the car (or the old wheels/tires) before installing the TPMS and mounting the tire to reprogram? Or can they get it all mounted for me and I drive the car back and they program it?

Sorry I've never had to deal with replacing TPMS so I'm not very informed on the subject.
It's actually pretty easy if you have the trigger from Amazon (https://a.co/d/0acHGxO). It says Ford, but it works on a number of brands including Chevrolet. It's what I use. Alternatively you can let some air out or the tires:

1. Turn ignition to AUX position with the parking brake engaged
2. Press and hold unlock and lock buttons on the keyless entry transmitter until horn sounds.
3. Starting with LF tire increase/decrease the pressure (or press the TPMS trigger near the valve stem) until horn sounds.
4. After horn sounds proceed as in step 3 for the next 3 sensors in the following order: RF, RR, LR, After completing LR tire horn will sound twice.
5. Turn ignition to OFF position to exit vehicle learn mode. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 04-22-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:00 PM
2008_aught-six
Cruising

So that sounds like what I need to do to tell the car which sensors go to which tire. But is there another programming step for new sensors just so the car recognizes them? Or does the car see/talk to them right out of the box?
Old 04-18-2024, 01:14 PM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,188 Likes on 667 Posts

Here’s a YouTube video…

Old 04-18-2024, 02:18 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2008_aught-six
So that sounds like what I need to do to tell the car which sensors go to which tire. But is there another programming step for new sensors just so the car recognizes them? Or does the car see/talk to them right out of the box?
As long as they are the right sensors for your car, there are no additional steps needed.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:09 PM
2008_aught-six
Cruising

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
As long as they are the right sensors for your car, there are no additional steps needed.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 04-18-2024, 05:41 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 409 Posts

I wouldn't trust anyone but Discount Tire for my installs.I am sure there are local shops that will do an awesome job but DT will stand behind their work and will promptly address any issues or concerns.
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (04-18-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 06:11 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Thank you for the recognition and your kind words, we greatly appreciate it.
Your company has earned it from me.I had a small issue at the store I use and they made it more than right.My only complaint is that they didn't have a way to get my cars on the alignment rack.
Discount Tire (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 09:52 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Obviously not the same store, but I've used Discount Tire for years and well pleased with the results, In fact one year I needed 4 sets of tires for 4 vehicles and they all came from DT. The day I need more tires, DT will be my first stop.
Discount Tire (04-19-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 05:02 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a fun fact. 2011 and newer (unless it's an early 2011 from the second half of 2010) REQUIRES the TPMS trigger. The air method doesn't work. Fortunately, the TPMS sensors that Discount Tire installed onto my car-less ZR1 wheels worked beautifully with my $15 TPMS trigger from Amazon just like it did with my ZR1 back in 2020.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:13 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

The procedure requires the car to be in AUXILIARY mode, not RUN mode. I’m sure of this because I’ve done it before. Here is a pretty good write up of the procedure, including which years the pressure drop method will work. And if using the tool, the sensors can be programmed without mounting them on the wheel. Just place them on ground near the wheel they’ll end up in, and use the tool on them. Label them so you’ll know which wheel to put them in. This de-risks mounting sensors which don’t work with your car.
https://www.corvettesalvage.com/how-...3-c6-corvette/

Last edited by FatsWaller; 04-22-2024 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:14 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
The procedure requires the car to be in AUXILIARY mode, not RUN mode. I’m sure of this because I’ve done it before. Here is a pretty good write up of the procedure, including which years the pressure drop method will work. And if using the tool, the sensors can be programmed without mounting them on the wheel. Just place them on ground near the wheel they’ll end up in, and use the tool on them. Label them so you’ll know which wheel to put them in. This de-risks mounting sensors which don’t work with your car.
https://www.corvettesalvage.com/how-...3-c6-corvette/
You're exactly right. I had copied and pasted the above from another forum thread, but I actually JUST went through this yesterday. For the life of me, I couldn't get it into the program mode until I finally looked it up again specifically for my 2011, and not only did I learn AUX mode with the parking brake engaged, but I also learned that the letting out or adding air doesn't work on later models and requires the TPMS trigger.

The more you know.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Program

Quick Reply: TPMS Program