C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oiled or Non-oiled air filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 12:45 PM
CaliC6Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oiled or Non-oiled air filters

I am thinking of adding an aftermarket air intake system to my 2006 C6 base. Which are better for for the 6.0 ltr motor, oiled or non-oiled air filters?
Old 04-15-2024, 01:02 PM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 330 Posts

Technically non oiled is foolproof and “better” for your maf.
Oiled is really a non issue though unless you overdo the oiling when cleaning it
Old 04-15-2024, 08:22 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Most oil type filters, do not filter the air correctly until they get a little dirty, and an over oiled air filter, is a quick way to foul up the Maf sensor.

Also to point out, stock oem dry air filter does the best job of filter the dust out of the air, and already outflows the cars needs.
Hence with some oil type filters than have a higher flow rate (which is not needed, since again, stock dry filter is already outflowing the motors needs) even with the correctly amount of oiling, and slightly dirty to filter is best, still allowing a lot of trash through it over the stock dry filter as well.

So on a LS2 motor, problem is not the air filter system to begin with, but the intake manifold on the motor instead. Hence ls6 used lost wax to cast it, while the LS2 motors when to sonic welding of parts, and sonic welding did cause air flow problems itself. When they came out with the LS3 motors, had solved the sonic welding problems, and the LS3 intake manifold flow very well isntead.

So back to what will help, verse will be waste of money, just going through the Stock intake manifold to port it, or change it out to a Fast Intake, will gain you power, since again, LS2 problem with air flow restriction, is the intake manifold, not the air filter system in front of it.
Also to point out, don't need to go buck wild on the intake manifold, just need to clean up the runners and port match them to the heads, that makes a high difference. As for Fast intake, ends up about the same, but you pick up more mid range HP, since just flows better than a ported oem intake since internal jug section is smoother than oem intake.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:54 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Op get you an oem ls3 or z06 and a non oiled filter...as stated above the design for the ls2 is the weak link not the filter....the ls3 and the ls7 fixes that for cheap....

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
PMPerformance (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 09:22 PM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaliC6Vette
I am thinking of adding an aftermarket air intake system to my 2006 C6 base. Which are better for for the 6.0 ltr motor, oiled or non-oiled air filters?

OP: I have my old ls3 intake assembly I’d be interested in selling.
It came off my car at like 30k miles. Filter was replaced shortly before removing it.
DM me if you are interested. As said above the ls3/ls7 intake really is the bees knees.
The following users liked this post:
hawkgfr (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 09:51 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Originally Posted by PMPerformance
OP: I have my old ls3 intake assembly I’d be interested in selling.
It came off my car at like 30k miles. Filter was replaced shortly before removing it.
DM me if you are interested. As said above the ls3/ls7 intake really is the bees knees.

Not going to work, since head intake ports on the LS2 and the Ls3 are different.
Hence the fast intake for the LS2, has cathedral ports to match the LS2 head intake port sizes.

So only way your going to use a LS3 intake manifold on a LS2, is to change the heads on the LS2 to LS3 heads.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:55 AM
LOLC6
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

QUOTE=Dano523;1607720954]Not going to work, since head intake ports on the LS2 and the Ls3 are different.
Hence the fast intake for the LS2, has cathedral ports to match the LS2 head intake port sizes.

So only way your going to use a LS3 intake manifold on a LS2, is to change the heads on the LS2 to LS3 heads.

[/QUOTE]
I think he means the intake assembly before the throttle body, not the manifold. He mentioned the filter element being new.

Last edited by LOLC6; 04-16-2024 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Trim pic
Old 04-16-2024, 12:28 PM
CaliC6Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you everyone for all the information. I think for now I will just use OEM filters and call it a day.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:47 PM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano523
Not going to work, since head intake ports on the LS2 and the Ls3 are different.

I am not sure you completely understand the post or response respectively,

We are talking about air intakes, not intake manifolds unless I missed something.

Get notified of new replies

To Oiled or Non-oiled air filters

Quick Reply: Oiled or Non-oiled air filters