C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!! Squeak when turning my steering wheel???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 09:31 PM
1wet.vette
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help!! Squeak when turning my steering wheel???

Hello. Ever since I got my car back from the shop who did my harmonic balancer my steering wheel has been squeaking every time I turn the wheel. I know you have to disconnect the steering rack and drain the steering fluid when doing it but when I asked them about it they said where the noise is coming from is not by where they worked. I tried spraying a tinsy tiny bit of silicone PB blaster in between the wheel and steering column and to no avail and I do not want to go overboard with spraying dry lube in between there especially if I don’t know. I would rather not damage anything. But It’s driving my OCD insane.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1872.mov (18.74 MB, 16 views)
Old 04-05-2024, 11:04 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,871 Likes on 4,273 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I had a steering wheel squeak on my GS when I replaced the steering wheel. I didn't get the clockspring wires pulled all the way through when I installed the new wheel, so it wasn't seated 100%. I popped the airbag cover, removed the nut holding the steering wheel in place, then removed & reinstalled the steering wheel ensuring everything was seated correctly. No more squeak.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:21 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Watched video.
Sound sure sounds like it is in the upper steering wheel/cabin not the engine compartment.
I would start with JABCAT suggestion, remove the air bag cover and have a look.
To go a step further, remove the upper and lower black plastic cover/ housing directly behind the wheel.

In regards to the shop work, I recall reading that alignment of the shaft and position of bearings (which tend to move upon reassembly) could also be looked at....but the sound does not seem to emulate from these areas to me.

Good hunting.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:23 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

I took developed a horrible squeak a couple weeks after changing my steering wheel. I believe it came loose or it was never seated correctly. I took it apart using the threads on here and reassembed and it was fixed. Good luck and I hope it is just that. Btw, I used the $20 steering wheel puller from O'Reilly's initially. The second time I took it off it almost fell off after I removed the bolts, indicating to likely wasn't seated
Old 04-06-2024, 12:33 PM
CorvetteCam91ZO7
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Default My Silverado has had a noise

While turning since I had a set of tires installed

I notice it when it is cold out and radio is off

I would bet that the tech dragged his *** in or out using the steering wheel as a grab bar

because if the noise is inside the cab. There would have been no reason for them to pull your steering wheel doing a harmonic balance

Most guys do not realize that you can very easily bend a steering wheel especially if you are a good size guy 6’??” 2?? Lbs

i never followed up with my Silverado with the shop , and it only drives me crazy when I hear it . The Corvette is a different story.

Good luck figuring it out

Get notified of new replies

To Please help!! Squeak when turning my steering wheel???

Quick Reply: Please help!! Squeak when turning my steering wheel???