C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Locked with FOB and Key in it

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 06:07 PM
Wheels64
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Car Locked with FOB and Key in it

My wife and I live in a very safe, secure area. It might not be the smartest thing to do but I always leave my keys/FOB in all of the vehicles we own. The garage is attached to our home and our home is typically locked.

I uncovered the 06 last week and found the door was locked. I can see the FOB with Key attached sitting in the cup holder. I immediately went to the Key Closet looking for the additional FOB. It is not there. Not sure what happened to it, that is another mystery.

The hood is open with the tender on it. Tender is green indicating the battery is fully charged. Removed the Tender and checked the voltage, it is good.

Sent the wife to the local dealer with the Title to get a new key made. Got the key, it slid in the trunk slot, but it does not open the hatch.

Do I call a lock smith to break in? Please help with advice.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2024, 06:26 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 334 Posts

In some instances, especially if the lock cylinder has not been used, it can bind up & be difficult to turn. Try squirting some dry lubricant (or even WD40) into the key slot. Let it sit for a minute or so & then try again.....use some more force than normal, but carefully.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:55 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheels64
My wife and I live in a very safe, secure area. It might not be the smartest thing to do but I always leave my keys/FOB in all of the vehicles we own. The garage is attached to our home and our home is typically locked.

I uncovered the 06 last week and found the door was locked. I can see the FOB with Key attached sitting in the cup holder. I immediately went to the Key Closet looking for the additional FOB. It is not there. Not sure what happened to it, that is another mystery.

The hood is open with the tender on it. Tender is green indicating the battery is fully charged. Removed the Tender and checked the voltage, it is good.

Sent the wife to the local dealer with the Title to get a new key made. Got the key, it slid in the trunk slot, but it does not open the hatch.

Thanks
If the FOB is in the car why would it lock. And theFOB should allow you to open the door.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
If the FOB is in the car why would it lock. And theFOB should allow you to open the door.
A fob battery that's dying looks just like the fob walking away to the car.
The following users liked this post:
Vettelagged (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 09:52 PM
vetteish
Le Mans Master

Received 485 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
In some instances, especially if the lock cylinder has not been used, it can bind up & be difficult to turn. Try squirting some dry lubricant (or even WD40) into the key slot. Let it sit for a minute or so & then try again.....use some more force than normal, but carefully.
agree with this!
Old 03-25-2024, 09:59 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
A fob battery that's dying looks just like the fob walking away to the car.
It can also happen if it's in the trunk. One time I suited up for the gym and threw my gym bag with my change of clothes under the hatch of my Z06, slammed it shut, and then the door wouldn't open because it didn't detect the fob. I forgot it was in the pocket of my jeans. Fortunately, I was at the house with the car in the garage, so no major inconvenience, but I couldn't find the second fob.

I was shocked at how easily the Lock Poppers guy got into it. All he did was take a small wedge to put between the glass and the weather strip, use a long pole with a hook on the end to hook the emergency release handle on the floor next to the driver's seat, and pull up on the lever to pop open the door. If someone wants into your car, it clearly won't take much if they know about that release handle.
The following 2 users liked this post by VetteVinnie:
Texasthunder (03-26-2024), tommyc6z06 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:10 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,863 Likes on 4,267 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

On the C5 all you had to do was shake the car if the fob was locked in & it would recognize/wake the fob so you could open the door. Did they fix this on the C6?

This is also one of the reasons I don't have auto lock activated on any of my vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
tommyc6z06 (03-26-2024), Vettelagged (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:21 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
On the C5 all you had to do was shake the car if the fob was locked in & it would recognize/wake the fob so you could open the door. Did they fix this on the C6?

This is also one of the reasons I don't have auto lock activated on any of my vehicles.
How is that even possible considering the C5 doesn't have an RFID fob? You have to physically press the unlock button on the remote or use the key.

In fact, our C5 doesn't even have a passive lock feature since there's nothing to detect when you walk away from it. It was the same way when I had my 2003 Z06.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:15 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
How is that even possible considering the C5 doesn't have an RFID fob? You have to physically press the unlock button on the remote or use the key.

In fact, our C5 doesn't even have a passive lock feature since there's nothing to detect when you walk away from it. It was the same way when I had my 2003 Z06.
Probably meant C4. That was some of the tech cut from the C5 after the C4 to lower the cost.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:52 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,863 Likes on 4,267 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie

My ex-wife got a job in a call center for GM Roadside Assistance in 2000-2002. That's literally what they told C5 owners to do if the key was locked in the car. I remember not believing her & she bringing the script home that said to rock/shake the car.

I never owned a C5 but I always assumed it worked if that's what they were telling people.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:52 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'd try shaking the car. I know some instances the fobs can go to sleep... never leave it in the trunk area... made that mistake the first week I had the car. Worst case you may have to call a locksmith or tow company to open the door for you. You can baloon the glass out a little bit and get a rod in to pull the door release on the floor, its tricky but doable. (again ask me how i know lol)
CorvetteBrent (03-27-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 08:50 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

I bought 2 extra FOB knock-offs for $15 each on eBay (yes they work)....in-part to address this situation at home. They are kept in my extra key storage area.

About breaking into a car without damage. I have been serving in THIS AUTOMOBILE CHARITY since 1997. On occasion, we have to break into a donated vehicle because the only key was accidentally left inside a locked car with windows up. We use THIS AIR WEDGE and a long reaching bent rod to push door-lock buttons or grab release handles.

I keep one such air wedge at home in my garage tool chest, just in case, whether it be for our vehicles, or to help a neighbor.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Yeah the air wedge works but you have to be extremely careful, since the window indexes and tucks into the weather stripping it doesn't give it much play. then the next problem is that dosent leave you much room to get the rod in. The guy who got into mine had to damage paint in the process just because there wasn't room, I okayed it and couldn't really be mad at anyone but myself but... yeah they arent easy to break into lol
Old 03-26-2024, 08:57 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 699 Likes on 446 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

silly question, and doesn't help the OP...but, doesn't it drain the battery if the FOB is left in or close proximity to the car...as its trying to communicate to the RCDLR?
Sorry...I live in the stone age and don't have these communication snafus with any of my other cars (those can have keys/FOBS left inside when garaged ...unlocked of course)...just trying to understand more.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:59 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
.......doesn't it drain the battery if the FOB is left in or close proximity to the car...as its trying to communicate to the RCDLR?
Oh, that is an interesting question.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:07 AM
blownbayou
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 239 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Last resort (if it's not a vert) is too remove the outside driver side tail light..... Drill you a small hole in the wall behind the light and fish you a coat hanger/wire in there and try to nab the emergency door pull. I have a safety pull made attached to that release behind the light. If the battery dies or FOB dies, I can get into the car. Tumbler under the plate is fubar btw.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:10 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blownbayou
Last resort (if it's not a vert) is too remove the outside driver side tail light..... Drill you a small hole in the wall behind the light and fish you a coat hanger/wire in there and try to nab the emergency door pull. I have a safety pull made attached to that release behind the light. If the battery dies or FOB dies, I can get into the car. Tumbler under the plate is fubar btw.
Yeah thats always an option too. I've considered doing that on mine for that very reason.
blownbayou (03-26-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Car Locked with FOB and Key in it

Old 03-26-2024, 09:18 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

These fobs don’t communicate with the car unless a fob button is pushed or a car button is pushed. Also, if the fob battery died while sitting in the cup holder then it's as if no fob is in the car. Not sure about auto lock feature because I’ve got that enabled. If the door doesn’t lock automatically does the car still look for a fob when the door pad is pressed?
owc6 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 09:23 AM
blownbayou
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 239 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The following 2 users liked this post by blownbayou:
CorvetteBrent (03-27-2024), Vettelagged (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 09:31 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheels64

Thanks
Did you ever open the hatch using the key? When you put the key in, does it turn? If it does but the hatch doesn’t pop it’s vey possible that the cable attached to the tumbler has become disconnected or was never hooked up at the factory. If so, no amount of turning will open the hatch.

Quick Reply: Car Locked with FOB and Key in it