C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiny spring in oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 10:08 PM
flyingmonkey1
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tiny spring in oil

Hi all,

Was changing the oil on my 2006 z06 today and when I took off the oil drain plug on the magnetic end I was cleaning off the particles it caught and mixed in with the general sludge was a tiny spring! Any ideas where it came from and should I be concerned? Never found anything like it in any of my oil changes.

Old 03-16-2024, 12:58 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Spring from one of the seals (it adds tension to the seal lips), and the question is if that is part of a seal that was replaced, or part of a seal still in play instead.

If the HB was replaced not long ago, may just be part of the HB seal as it was pulled and replaced.

But seeing that it did manage to get into the crank to be chewed up a touch, would be dropping the oil pan to see if more of it still in the pan, or check for front or rear main seal that is leaking, if it the spring did not come from a replaced seal instead.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:48 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 153 Posts

Another picture of the spring beside a tape measure or a dime may help figuring out what it is. The springs in the valve seals are tiny.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:35 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Ditto, since could be the lip seal spring from a valve seal as well.

Bottom line, do you know the history of the motor and what has been done to it, since that may narrow down if the spring came from a old part replaced, or it part still in play is missing a spring isntead.

And with finding one retainer spring, would be pulling the oil pan to check for more in it as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Tiny spring in oil

Quick Reply: Tiny spring in oil