C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I just money shift an automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 03:29 AM
Tmaccc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I just money shift an automatic

Hey guys so when I bought my c6 I forgot the right paddle shifter is also to downshift when you push it and instead of up shifting I downshifted and my rpm’s shot up to about 5-6k. Fast forward to today my friend was driving and did the same thing. Did these two instances just seriously hurt my motor/ trans or is there a safety net with the paddle shifters? (08 base)
Old 03-04-2024, 05:14 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,631 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The computer wont let it downshift to the point it will hurt itself, your fine. Look into the F1 mod so the shifters function properly
The following 2 users liked this post by StayinStock:
FAUEE (03-04-2024), LCZ06 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 08:41 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 209 Posts

Ditto what Mr. Stock said. The computer/automatic is idiot proof. My very first car with paddles had the same issue (stupid driver) and I routinely downshifted when I meant to upshift.
The following users liked this post:
FAUEE (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 03:35 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 837 Likes on 487 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Not to worry here.....I have the 6Speed Manual.....sorry.....just had to give you a hard time.
The following users liked this post:
BuckeyeRay (03-06-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 03:46 PM
Tmaccc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StayinStock
The computer wont let it downshift to the point it will hurt itself, your fine. Look into the F1 mod so the shifters function properly
Originally Posted by yeller z06
Ditto what Mr. Stock said. The computer/automatic is idiot proof. My very first car with paddles had the same issue (stupid driver) and I routinely downshifted when I meant to upshift.
Originally Posted by DrKrieger
Not to worry here.....I have the 6Speed Manual.....sorry.....just had to give you a hard time.
thank you all for the help
Old 03-05-2024, 08:11 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

Your car has a rev limiter on it
No need to worry
just don’t let it happen again 🤣
Old 03-05-2024, 11:23 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Tmaccc
Hey guys so when I bought my c6 I forgot the right paddle shifter is also to downshift when you push it and instead of up shifting I downshifted and my rpm’s shot up to about 5-6k. Fast forward to today my friend was driving and did the same thing. Did these two instances just seriously hurt my motor/ trans or is there a safety net with the paddle shifters? (08 base)
Unfortunately the car is absolutely NOT idiot proof - ask me how I know or ask any of the guys who have lost traction at the dragstrip only to get back in it and force a multi gear downshift and wildly exceeding the rev-limiter in the process.

At best the rev-limiter can be thought of as a strong request rather than an absolute "you will not exceed this RPM". Depending on how fast your engine is spinning it's really easy to go well past whatever it's set to. I've hit 8200RPM in the past when my transmission wouldn't shift properly, despite being set to 7500RPM. A freewheeling engine with no engine braking capability from the transmission is gonna have all kinds of inertia to easily exceed the limiter.

Having said that however you're probably fine, just try not to keep doing that or think you'll never hurt anything.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:53 AM
dlcain
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

This reminds me about the time I bought an Audi A4 years ago. My wife took it to the grocery store for the first time, and shortly after called me and said something was wrong with the car. She said that everytime she tried to turn the radio volume up the car jerked around like a bucking bronco. I laughed cause I knew right away what she had done, thinking the paddle shifter was volume control haha.

Get notified of new replies

To Did I just money shift an automatic

Quick Reply: Did I just money shift an automatic