C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting LS3 in very cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 04:05 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Starting LS3 in very cold

What happens with oil pressure, when you cold start the 2008 LS3 Corvette during winter season here in Finland? Temperature is -23 C (-9.4 F). No block heater or oil heater, 5W-30 oil with DEXOS classification as recommended.

Nothing. For a minute and a half, according to the gauges and DIC; here is a video: http://penthouse.homelinux.net/fs24/...pakkasessa.mp4

This is what it says in the Service Manual:
Oil pressure should be 20 to 80 psi (140 to 550 kPa).
In certain situations such as long, extended idles on hot
days, it could read as low as 6 psi (40 kPa) and still
be considered normal. It may vary with engine speed,
outside temperature and oil viscosity, but readings
above the shaded area show the normal operating
range. Readings in the shaded area tell you that the
engine is low on oil, or that you might have some other
oil problem.
Maybe it's time to install at least an oil heater for the next winter...
Old 03-03-2024, 04:59 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 986 Likes on 633 Posts

I have never started my Vette in that cold of weather but a few months ago it was 8 degrees Fahrenheit and I started my truck with the LS3 and oil pressure was immediate up to 60 pounds.
My truck had only been sitting in that temp for 2 days not started.

How long had yours been sitting in that temp before you started it? What you experienced does not sound normal to me.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:27 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,044 Likes on 2,191 Posts

Two things, and if your playing the the winter game, then block heater is needed to keep even the synthetic oil from freezing to begin with, and you never turn off the motor, until you can get it back on the block heater or heated garage.

The second one, are you out of your mind trying to run the car in that cold of weather to begin with.
The body is all SMC panels, and at that freezing temp, slightest of hit to them is going to have them shattering like they are glass.
The second is the summer performance tires in that cold of weather, will have them cracking in less than a year if subject to that cold of weather, even with the car parked for the winter in storage (read vet needs to say in heated garage).

Bottom line, if you need a winter time car, the vet is not it, and need to get something that has metal body panels that the freezing weather will not effect, and something with 4 wheel drive that will do well in the snow, and maybe one that comes factory with a block heater, designed to be run in that cold weather as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
oldcanuck (03-03-2024), tommyc6z06 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 06:40 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 194 Posts

If you have to start it you should install a block heater. Really though Vettes aren't cold weather vehicles. Even Mustangs are border line. Best to store it properly over the winter and leave it alone. Just my opinion as I live in freezing cold Alberta Canada. No Vettes on the road here Oct to April. Been -25C/ -15 F with 12"/30 cm snow last 3 days. I agree with Dano523.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:48 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm sure plenty of 6.2 liter Chevy's have been started at that temp and colder without the benefit of block heaters. If it were mine, at minimum I would use a lower weight oil, a block heater and/or a heated garage. Hope you have good winter tires on it. I won't drive my ultra high performance summer tires below 40F and they will break below 20F.

We used to do cold weather testing with BMW every winter in Finland. Always tried to get some -40 degree nights. The BMW protocol was to crank without touching the throttle and as soon as it fired you drove away at full throttle. Obviously no owner would do that but we never broke anything on the BMW's.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:51 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Definitely not normal. Sounds like it’s knocking in the video?
Old 03-03-2024, 06:55 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I'm sure plenty of 6.2 liter Chevy's have been started at that temp and colder without the benefit of block heaters. If it were mine, at minimum I would use a lower weight oil, a block heater and/or a heated garage. Hope you have good winter tires on it. I won't drive my ultra high performance summer tires below 40F and they will break below 20F.

We used to do cold weather testing with BMW every winter in Finland. Always tried to get some -40 degree nights. The BMW protocol was to crank without touching the throttle and as soon as it fired you drove away at full throttle. Obviously no owner would do that but we never broke anything on the BMW's.
Starting is one thing, driving is another. Vettes aren't BMW's when it comes to very cold temps and streets. I doubt you can even get true winter tires that would work on a Vette and not talking "all season".
Old 03-03-2024, 08:18 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,348 Likes on 955 Posts

0W is your friend. Use it. Whether it be 30 or 40. If you're going to start it in **** cold weather, use it.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:20 PM
Rebob0510
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 97 Posts

We use these Moroso heater pads on race engines and on our Dry sump oil tanks and they work very well. You could stick one of these to the oil pan and plug it in for an hour or so to get some heat. Not sure how the power would work from USA 110v to what you have there. Would be a quick easy cold start solution

https://www.moroso.com/external-heating-pad23996/

Old 03-04-2024, 02:17 AM
Whodamans
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

I just pulled my engine from low oil pressure, The rod bearings on #1 were absolutely shot, bit of damage on the mains 1 & 2, melted it seems.

Best guess was previous owner started it cold, and revved it to the moon immediately. For one, never "Dry" rev period. 2nd definitely don't immediately as it does have a long oil pathway back to front.

I would not start this car below 0F ever, below freezing i probably would have a block heater at least 100%

Ls is a great platform, but the oiling system is the weak point. Stay safe, put it in the garage.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:39 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by sramzzz
I have never started my Vette in that cold of weather but a few months ago it was 8 degrees Fahrenheit and I started my truck with the LS3 and oil pressure was immediate up to 60 pounds.
My truck had only been sitting in that temp for 2 days not started.
If I start it around 0 C (32 F), or some degrees below (maybe up to -10 C), the oil pressure climbs straight up to 40 PSI, which is "normal behaviour".

Originally Posted by sramzzz
How long had yours been sitting in that temp before you started it? What you experienced does not sound normal to me.
A few days.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:02 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by Dano523
Two things, and if your playing the the winter game, then block heater is needed to keep even the synthetic oil from freezing to begin with, and you never turn off the motor, until you can get it back on the block heater or heated garage.
Actually, the block heater only heats the coolant and the oil sitting in the sump stays cold. Ok, it may warm a little, but basically that's minute. The right way is to heat up the oil to get it flowing and lubricating instantly.

The second one, are you out of your mind trying to run the car in that cold of weather to begin with.
The body is all SMC panels, and at that freezing temp, slightest of hit to them is going to have them shattering like they are glass.
No, it doesn't. Where do you base this presumption?

My experience comes from driving my previous C4 for over a decade all year round (ca. 200 000 km, which would be ~125 000 miles, of which a little less than half during winter time, so maybe something like 40 000 - 50 000 miles altogether). And even the coldest weather I faced (-32 C, ~ -25 F) there was no problem with the body panels. And hasn't been with the present C6.

The second is the summer performance tires in that cold of weather, will have them cracking in less than a year if subject to that cold of weather, even with the car parked for the winter in storage (read vet needs to say in heated garage).
I do have winter tires for this winter... But I drove a few times during the previous winter with the summer tires and there was no problem with them in the spring even though they were a bit dated.

Bottom line, if you need a winter time car, the vet is not it, and need to get something that has metal body panels that the freezing weather will not effect, and something with 4 wheel drive that will do well in the snow, and maybe one that comes factory with a block heater, designed to be run in that cold weather as well.
Bottom line, it's my car And I do have pretty substantial first hand experience with Vettes during winter.
The following users liked this post:
Dave Carney (03-19-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 07:04 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
Definitely not normal. Sounds like it’s knocking in the video?
It's not knocking, the motor is pretty normal sounding. The cell phone's mic just picks up something and messes the audio.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:22 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by Rebob0510
We use these Moroso heater pads on race engines and on our Dry sump oil tanks and they work very well. You could stick one of these to the oil pan and plug it in for an hour or so to get some heat. Not sure how the power would work from USA 110v to what you have there. Would be a quick easy cold start solution

https://www.moroso.com/external-heating-pad23996/

That is just what I'm thinking. Since the coolant flows and works as it should with or without heating, the oil heating is my main concern.

That particular one won't work here in Finland, since we have 230 V system, but we have similar products here.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:27 AM
Yokesman
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold start

In the past I have seen dipstick oil heaters dont know effective they are
but having lived in places where the wind chill factor is about -45 to -50 at night , the direction your car is facing was a big consideration.

your local truck drivers may have some ideas for you
Old 03-04-2024, 07:28 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by old motorhead
0W is your friend. Use it. Whether it be 30 or 40. If you're going to start it in **** cold weather, use it.
I was thinking 0W-xx oils at first, but after some research I'm confident that the oil heater is the safest bet, since even the 0W-xx oil would be pretty thick in those extreme temperatures. I do have the pole with timer at the parking lot, so I can use the heater most of the time I need to "get going".
Old 03-04-2024, 07:40 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by oldcanuck
I doubt you can even get true winter tires that would work on a Vette and not talking "all season".
Of course you can. I got mine in the stock sizes, there's plenty of choice.
Had to buy another set of wheels and TPM sensors, but it's just the "starting investment"

Get notified of new replies

To Starting LS3 in very cold

Old 03-04-2024, 10:22 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorcci
...I do have the pole with timer at the parking lot, so I can use the heater most of the time I need to "get going".
Lived 2 years in Fairbanks, AK.
Block heaters are the norm there.
W/ headbolts about everywhere one parks can plug-in.
Bet Fairbanks gets at least AS cold as Finland, maybe colder.
YMMV
Old 03-04-2024, 12:06 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by Landru
Lived 2 years in Fairbanks, AK.
Bet Fairbanks gets at least AS cold as Finland, maybe colder.
YMMV
Yeah, as Fairbanks seems to lie about 200 miles south of the arctic circle, while Jyväskylä lies about 350 miles south of the arctic circle.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 01:17 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Mobile 1 5w30 is supposed to be good down to -40° which is the same whether C or F. https://www.appliedthermalfluids.com/product/mobil-1-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/#:~:text=Mobil%201%20motor%20oils%20offe r,up%20to%20500%20degrees%20Fahrenheit. I’ve had to start cars a few times down around -25C, and what I recall from that was that the oil pressure relief valve shrieked for maybe 10 seconds, or maybe it was the PS pump, but at no point did I get any low oil pressure indication.

Quick Reply: Starting LS3 in very cold