C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pure Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 12:38 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingg103
That sounds like you found a good car especially being 1 owner. I have been looking for C6 in Texas and going through the normal channels ( cargurus/cars.com etc..) but with this I am only exposed to those auction vehicles moving coast to coast...in many cases Ewww . What are some recommendations to find the elusive "One owners low mileage" cars like this???

I have always been a new car buyer with the exception being the 82 Collectors Edition I had in the early 2000s. Yes I am one of those Boomers getting the itch one more time ( maybe last time).

Appreciate the help.
I am mostly a used car buyer and look for 1 owner low mileage vehicles. I shop used like you would shop new so it takes time to find the right vehicle.

I happened across D&M Motorsports in Chicago. This is a family owned business that has been selling vettes for years. They now sell a lot of high end cars as well.

I purchased from them and I would rank this is as my top buying experience. When they purchase a car anything and everything that needs attention is done.

Check them out at the link below.

https://www.dmautosales.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by sramzzz:
CCRyder64 (02-24-2024), RocketRob (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 01:01 PM
flyingg103
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NuToVettes
I ended up finding mine on the FB Marketplace. Carfax has vehicle listings where you can filter one owner vehicles. Edmunds is another good source.
Thanks, that might be a good source for sure.
The following users liked this post:
NuToVettes (02-17-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 01:01 PM
flyingg103
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sramzzz
I am mostly a used car buyer and look for 1 owner low mileage vehicles. I shop used like you would shop new so it takes time to find the right vehicle.

I happened across D&M Motorsports in Chicago. This is a family owned business that has been selling vettes for years. They now sell a lot of high end cars as well.

I purchased from them and I would rank this is as my top buying experience. When they purchase a car anything and everything that needs attention is done.

Check them out at the link below.

https://www.dmautosales.com/
Appreciate the recommendation, will certainly check them out.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:21 PM
CCRyder64
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FatChance
Are you buying a car that really excites you and that you might want to keep forever or a car with possible resale in mind? Corvettes are an emotional decision for most on this forum.
a BMW motorcycle, now that would excite me !! Ouray, 2004. I still have the T-shirt. You may not remember me, that’s cool. I’m CCRyder over there also. Nice to see you are still alive and kickin” .

Last edited by CCRyder64; 02-16-2024 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:00 AM
CCRyder64
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RocketRob
Aren’t all 500 of the Pace Car replicas black? I have had a difficult time finding the answer to that. I know that two of the Pace cars used in the race were some one off shade of green. I know that Emerson Fittipaldi signed some if not all of the 500 replicas. The JSB that you looked at sounds absolutely loaded from your description. With Corvettes, I’ve found out the hard way that when you find one that ticks all or most of your boxes, jump on it!
they may be, I think this gentleman is confused about his car. It doesn’t say it’s a replica on the title. It just says it’s a 2D Corvette. I think it is a 3LT based on the equipment , it has the carbon fiber looking spoiler, the roof panel, and ground effects trim ? Would you or someone else here happen to know if that was a special order, or maybe part of a special pkg ? Or maybe someone put it on themselves ( body shop ? ) from an after market trim kit that is sold for Corvettes ? I havent a clue. It looked nice . The car had some other minor issues, patina…. But overall a good car I think. Just not going to be the one. Also the car had a nifty chrome or stainless cover on the alternator, with Corvette logo on it….. nice touch, considering every used Corvette I have looked at has a nasty bit of corrosion patina on the aluminum alternator housing itself. Looks out of place. That snazzy alternator cover is the bomb !
Old 02-17-2024, 09:55 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by CCRyder64
they may be, I think this gentleman is confused about his car. It doesn’t say it’s a replica on the title. It just says it’s a 2D Corvette. I think it is a 3LT based on the equipment , it has the carbon fiber looking spoiler, the roof panel, and ground effects trim ? Would you or someone else here happen to know if that was a special order, or maybe part of a special pkg ? Or maybe someone put it on themselves ( body shop ? ) from an after market trim kit that is sold for Corvettes ? I havent a clue. It looked nice . The car had some other minor issues, patina…. But overall a good car I think. Just not going to be the one. Also the car had a nifty chrome or stainless cover on the alternator, with Corvette logo on it….. nice touch, considering every used Corvette I have looked at has a nasty bit of corrosion patina on the aluminum alternator housing itself. Looks out of place. That snazzy alternator cover is the bomb !
Yeah, I hear you on the alternator. Even after cleaning up the engine bay, the alternator still stuck out like a sore thumb. The original owner rarely (if ever) cleaned anything under the hood in 11 years and 36K miles.

This is what it looked like when I bought it:

Old 02-17-2024, 11:17 AM
RocketRob
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

Definitely with you all concerning the alternator appearance. I am currently looking at a stainless cover with the Corvette flags on it like you described, CC. It’s about $140 and it doesn’t appear to be god awful gaudy. Just an FYI as you are searching, because like Vinnie, my engine compartment is really clean and the alternator sticks out like a sore thumb.
CCRyder64 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 11:30 AM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 626 Posts

Could always take it off and paint it.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:02 PM
C6VetteLover
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

In today's market EVERY vehicle is more expensive than the equivalent was pre pandemic. The same is true for everything. Houses, cars, boats, food. If it checksall the boxes and is super clean and mechanically sound than it's a good price under 30k. You're not getting one for 25 with that mileage and condition unless you find an idiot that has no clue what it's worth or absolutely has to sell it now. If you don't buy it chances are in a week it'll be gone.
CCRyder64 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 02:47 PM
RocketRob
Racer

Very definitely. Ya snooze, ya lose with a tasty Corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocketRob:
C6VetteLover (02-17-2024), CCRyder64 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:59 AM
CCRyder64
Intermediate

Very definitely. Ya snooze, ya lose with a tasty Corvette.
maybe so, but there is always another car- I know this is an enthusiast site and members are all passionate about their experience……and I understand that- my experience is a little different. I’ve been buying for 50 years at this point. They come and they go. Ultimately i may pay more for the “other” car, but I’m not going to lose sleep on that point. It really isnt about the couple of thousand bucks…..
the interior of the 4 LT just isnt doing it for me... I like the standard 3 LT package just fine, and the thought of worrying about the dash just turned me off. Granted, that may never happen, but I’m “that guy”, if it can happen it will happen to me.
Moving on, school a brother on what the major difference is with the “grand sport” package ownership ? I mean looking at photos is cool, but I am not picking up on the finer points of the essence of the GS ….. I guess i will google it or click on the search bar again but I’m asking if you care to enlighten me. Surely it has been covered countless times in other threads .. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:07 AM
CCRyder64
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
It's impossible to know actual failure rates but this does seem to be something that's more a matter of when not if. It's not just C6's or just GM products either. Seems to happen sooner or later to all leather covered dashes these days. Probably because they have had to eliminate the VOC's from the glues. I know I was reading about 4LT dashboards for years and mine looked perfect up until it didn't.
what was the “cure” for yours , was it replaced, upholstery shop repair, or ???
Old 02-18-2024, 11:34 AM
RocketRob
Racer

I appreciate your dispassionate approach. Mine was not, it was more like a mission once I had identified a target. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
CCRyder64 (02-18-2024), Vettelagged (04-03-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 11:51 AM
C6VetteLover
Racer

maybe so, but there is always another car- I know this is an enthusiast site and members are all passionate about their experience……and I understand that- my experience is a little different. I’ve been buying for 50 years at this point. They come and they go. Ultimately i may pay more for the “other” car, but I’m not going to lose sleep on that point. It really isnt about the couple of thousand bucks…..
the interior of the 4 LT just isnt doing it for me... I like the standard 3 LT package just fine, and the thought of worrying about the dash just turned me off. Granted, that may never happen, but I’m “that guy”, if it can happen it will happen to me.
Moving on, school a brother on what the major difference is with the “grand sport” package ownership ? I mean looking at photos is cool, but I am not picking up on the finer points of the essence of the GS ….. I guess i will google it or click on the search bar again but I’m asking if you care to enlighten me. Surely it has been covered countless times in other threads .. Thanks for your thoughts.
The Grand Sport isn't a package, it's a completely different model. It's the wide body track oriented version of the base model. The grand sport couple with a manual transmission also gives you the dry sump oil system, bigger brakes and tires. Think of it as a Z06 with a removable target top and the LS3 vs the LS7
CCRyder64 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 11:59 AM
CCRyder64
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C6VetteLover
The Grand Sport isn't a package, it's a completely different model. It's the wide body track oriented version of the base model. The grand sport couple with a manual transmission also gives you the dry sump oil system, bigger brakes and tires. Think of it as a Z06 with a removable targa top and the LS3 vs the LS7
thanks- so I absolutely dont need that one…..LOL…… I’m sure the insurance cost is commensurate with the performance upgrade ?
Old 02-18-2024, 12:04 PM
C6VetteLover
Racer

thanks- so I absolutely dont need that one…..LOL…… I’m sure the insurance cost is commensurate with the performance upgrade ?
For many it's not a need, it's a want. No one needs a ZR1 but most of us want one lol. I'm sure the insurance is more but not a huge difference if you insure it as a sunny july day car and no as a daily driver.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6VetteLover:
Old 02-18-2024, 12:30 PM
CCRyder64
Intermediate

I hear ya- i guess no one “needs” a Corvette regardless of the model and performance level….. except my wife, she thinks she needs a Corvette….LOL- ..maybe after we get a COrvette I will fall madly in love with it, and feel what the “true believers” feel about these automobiles .

Last edited by CCRyder64; 02-18-2024 at 04:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pure Noob Question

Old 02-18-2024, 12:34 PM
CCRyder64
Intermediate

Definitely with you all concerning the alternator appearance. I am currently looking at a stainless cover with the Corvette flags on it like you described, CC. It’s about $140 and it doesn’t appear to be god awful gaudy. Just an FYI as you are searching, because like Vinnie, my engine compartment is really clean and the alternator sticks out like a sore thumb.
Pretty sure that is exactly the bit that is on this car I just test drove. It looks very nice and not out of place at all. You’ll like the improvement I’m sure.
for 140 it is absolutely a value given the change in the cosmetic appeal.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:25 PM
CCRyder64
Intermediate

I hear ya- i guess no one “needs” a Corvette regardless of the model and performance level….. except my wife, she thinks she needs a Corvette….maybe after we get a COrvette I will fall madly in love with it, and feel what the “true believers” feel about these automobiles .
for those who probably thought i was nuts, ( and I may well be ) —-
i worked out an agreeable deal with the current owner of that JSB-2008-4LT-Z51-MRC-etc etc loaded up babe of a car. Should be taking ownership this week … …… thanks for all the comments and opinions/advice whatever we call it. I have learned a lot throught the discourse here.
DykstraMotorsports (04-03-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 05:28 PM
RocketRob
Racer

CC, ya old horse trader, I think I see what ya just did here! In case the current owner is on the Forum, you show disinterest in his car, apparently moving on to Plan B or C. The price comes down to an acceptable level and you snap like a bear trap! Well played. Congratulations, you won’t be sorry. Send along some pictures when you pick your new baby up.

Quick Reply: Pure Noob Question