C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where To Buy Caliper Rebuild Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 11:46 AM
bynummustang
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Where To Buy Caliper Rebuild Kit

Hey All,

I'm falling short on being able to find the caliber rebuild kit. I have an 2007 with the Z51 option. So I'm looking for the J55 kit. I've called area dealerships as well as getting the GM part number. Everyone says they're discontinued and they don't have any in stock. Mine are looking pretty toasted but I don't have any noticeable degraded braking but looking to replace before it becomes an issue.

Example of the C6 J56 (GS/ZO6) option

GM PN:
Front: 19208030
Rear: 19208032

Last edited by bynummustang; 02-10-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:41 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 626 Posts

Probably will have to go aftermarket. Check your local parts store or rockauto for options.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:44 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

Are they leaking? Are you looking to totally rebuild the caliper, boots and all? You can clean them up, inspect for leaks but if it ain't broke, I wouldn't mess with it. If it's leaking then yes, fix it.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette_Dez (02-17-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 01:47 PM
bynummustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell
Are they leaking? Are you looking to totally rebuild the caliper, boots and all? You can clean them up, inspect for leaks but if it ain't broke, I wouldn't mess with it. If it's leaking then yes, fix it.
Not leaking but I do have a trackday next weekend where I've been told my brakes will be much hotter than a trackday at my "normal" track. The boots/seals are craked and don't look like they will hold up much longer.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:32 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Google search comes up with plenty of sources.... https://www.google.com/search?q=2007...t=gws-wiz-serp
Old 02-10-2024, 08:41 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Did you swap out the original pads for "Raceday pads"?
I suggest you do that it will help with the stopping distance so less drag on the pads and rotor meaning less heat.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:17 AM
bynummustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave S
Google search comes up with plenty of sources.... https://www.google.com/search?q=2007...t=gws-wiz-serp
Thanks Dave. However I have Googled this before. The standard links from WCC, CC, Summit, etc are either out of stock, or not for a base car with J55 package. I can find GS/Z06 stuff all day. The stuff on O'Rielly' that does have a size is discontinued. The stuff that is in stock says it "fits all 2007's. I'm sure one of the 2 parts in stock would work on the fronts, (C5/C6 Front are the same, no matter if base or J55/Z51 package), but it doesn't have dimensions on the seal/o-ring. The J55 rear piston is 32mm vs the 35mm for the base level.

Originally Posted by DDP
Did you swap out the original pads for "Raceday pads"?
I suggest you do that it will help with the stopping distance so less drag on the pads and rotor meaning less heat.
Yup. I run TBA 4300 series rotors and Carbotech XP10/8 (front/rear). I haven't gotten them to fade yet with Motul RBF 600. I feel pretty good with my pad selection for the level of driving that I'm doing.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:24 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

There is a vendor here that sells them rebuilt fresh powder coat and ready to go ... so has to be parts somewhere....

search ain't working...I tried...

something motorsports......
Old 02-11-2024, 07:18 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,039 Posts

TPS Motorsports

https://www.tpsmotorsports.com/test2...-calipers.html
The following users liked this post:
hawkgfr (02-11-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 08:02 PM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 123 Posts

If you are going to rebuild the calipers yourself, do yourself a favor and pick up some caliper assembly lube. It is absolutely necessary for reassembly and smooth operation of the pistons until the brake fluid takes over. Plus, it makes reassembly so much easier. It's hard to find in a local parts stores though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314518055726?

Old 02-13-2024, 11:42 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 834 Likes on 485 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Top Flight Automotive has a set of all 4 rebuilt calipers for $219.00. One thing to look at!
Old 02-15-2024, 03:18 PM
bynummustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by HobbesTiger
If you are going to rebuild the calipers yourself, do yourself a favor and pick up some caliper assembly lube. It is absolutely necessary for reassembly and smooth operation of the pistons until the brake fluid takes over. Plus, it makes reassembly so much easier. It's hard to find in a local parts stores though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314518055726?
For sure! I have some in the toolbox from my motorcycle days.

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
​​​​​​​Thanks, however I'm not looking to replace a set of calipers when all I need is some seals. If I can't find seals then this might be an option.

Originally Posted by DrKrieger
Top Flight Automotive has a set of all 4 rebuilt calipers for $219.00. One thing to look at!
Thanks for the info, at this time I'm not looking to replace the calipers. If I was, I'd probably do the "while I'm here might as upgrade"
Old 02-16-2024, 03:07 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,180 Posts

If you are rebuild the calipers for HPDE type heat, then want to look at SS pistons, and high temp seals and dust boots that will take the higher heat without melting like the stock rubber ones.

https://racingbrake.com/corvette-1/

As for HPDE events with any R compound tires, need to upgrade the wheel bearings to skf race bearing, since the added cornering G load is going to kill the stock wheel bearing quickly from the add side load, and then regarding the rotors, need to ditch the drilled rotors, since will heat crack them, and switch over to a three piece slotted rotors instead. Hence the reason for the three piece rotor, it allow the inner spider to flex in the corners, and reduces the amount of pad kick out,and the rotors slotted, still allows for the pad off gassing, but rotors are not going to heat crack instead.

Bottom line, Z51 option car was factory built for autocross, and if car is going to be used for that, then fine in stock form, including the HD pads on it.
When going to HPDE with R com pond tires, now will have the pads a lot hotter, and need to work backwards from the higher temp race pads, back wards into the drive line instead.

Also to point out, the U claim shell calipers are not the best at taking heat to begin with, since with race type heat, the U is them bends outwards.
In the days of the C5 Z06 have the same U calipers, guys would not get even a year out of them, before they are bent to far open, that they have to be replaced every 6 months.
Hence the reason that the c6 Z06 calipers went to bolt together calipers (over just most pistons), since would not bend open like the U types.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:52 AM
bynummustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
If you are rebuild the calipers for HPDE type heat, then want to look at SS pistons, and high temp seals and dust boots that will take the higher heat without melting like the stock rubber ones.

https://racingbrake.com/corvette-1/
Thanks!

As for HPDE events with any R compound tires, need to upgrade the wheel bearings to skf race bearing, since the added cornering G load is going to kill the stock wheel bearing quickly from the add side load, and then regarding the rotors, need to ditch the drilled rotors, since will heat crack them, and switch over to a three piece slotted rotors instead. Hence the reason for the three piece rotor, it allow the inner spider to flex in the corners, and reduces the amount of pad kick out,and the rotors slotted, still allows for the pad off gassing, but rotors are not going to heat crack instead.
I will stay with the 200 TW tires for the foreseable future. Currenly on the 2022 compound Nankang CRS. I already replaced all hubs with SKF as preventative maintanece for when skill/ability starts to push the stock ones. I kept a stock one as a spare. I also have DBA slotted rotors (first track focused mod).

Bottom line, Z51 option car was factory built for autocross, and if car is going to be used for that, then fine in stock form, including the HD pads on it.
When going to HPDE with R com pond tires, now will have the pads a lot hotter, and need to work backwards from the higher temp race pads, back wards into the drive line instead.
I'm currently running Carbotech XP10/8 (front/rear). After my weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park yesterday, it is time to get new pads in. Will likely go to the 12/10 just to step of the compound a little. I still have a street Carbotech pad for everyday use. The 10/8 set will become track spares.

Also to point out, the U claim shell calipers are not the best at taking heat to begin with, since with race type heat, the U is them bends outwards.
In the days of the C5 Z06 have the same U calipers, guys would not get even a year out of them, before they are bent to far open, that they have to be replaced every 6 months.
Hence the reason that the c6 Z06 calipers went to bolt together calipers (over just most pistons), since would not bend open like the U types.
Totally get it. I don't do enough events or push hard enough to get to that point, yet. Eventually will replace calipers and go to 2 piece rotors, but trying to push that into 2025.

Get notified of new replies

To Where To Buy Caliper Rebuild Kit

Quick Reply: Where To Buy Caliper Rebuild Kit