C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent passenger air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 10:49 AM
bill gsport
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Intermittent passenger air bag light

Been having this irritating light show up more frequently lately. I've read the threads on loose connector under the passenger seat, which sounds like the source. Figure I'd remove the bolts holding the seat down, prop it up a few inches to get good access and fix things. My question is about power to the airbag and the chance of setting it off accidently ( not good ). Should I, a) disconnect the battery, b) remove fuse(s) to the airbag, or c) not worry about removing power?

As always, the collective advice from the forum is helpful and appreciated.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:56 AM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 994 Likes on 639 Posts

Personally I would disconnect the battery when messing around with air bag and its connections. Better safe than sorry.

Don’t forget to index windows when power is restored.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:22 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,159 Posts

The passenger airbag light is a different problem than the airbag warning light on the dash. The latter is usually caused by the connector under the driver’s seat, especially in those cars having memory seats. Your problem might be caused by a failure in the pressure sensor and circuitry that senses when someone is sitting in the seat. Not sure. Hopefully it’s also directly related to the under seat connector so start by cleaning and zip tying it. If it’s a power seat, raise it as far as it will go, then forward as far as it will go, and tilt the seat forward. Otherwise just pull it forward as far as you can and tilt the seat. That should give you enough room to work without needing to unbolt the seats. Then disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes so that the modules bleed down. I fixed the dash light problem which was caused by the driver seat connector in maybe 15 minutes, other than waiting the 20 minutes. Not difficult at all.
The following users liked this post:
I30 (02-04-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 07:51 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,668 Posts

I had that same light come up on my car last year. It was the connector under the passenger seat. I undid the connector, cleaned the contacts, then reconnected then zip tied the connector together, and it fixed the air bag light.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent passenger air bag light

Quick Reply: Intermittent passenger air bag light