C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service active handling and service traction comtol fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 07:39 PM
PVS-1959
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Service active handling and service traction comtol fixed?

After having my new C6 for a couple weeks I finally was able to get it out today with some decent weather and got those two error messages. Would go away if I turned off the car and turn it back on again but then would come back up again. After doing some research it appears that the battery can be the culprit much of the time.... And I did know my battery was pretty bad because I had it on a tender and it was only getting up to about 50 or 75% charge.

Surprisingly I found out that Blain's farm and fleet head the best deal on a group 85 battery with a full 3-year warranty and JumpStart service, followed by a 4,-year prorated warranty. Only downside is having a Blain's farm and fleet label under your hood. ;-)

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g--2503-blains-farm-and-fleet-7-year-platinum-automotive-battery.html

Picked it up and got it installed in about an hour's time and after a couple cruises around the neighborhood it seems to be in good shape. Fingers crossed.

Going to see if the dealer that I bought the car from will put something towards the battery cost.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:41 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Keep us posted if the new battery does not clear the alarms. I had the same scenario, and it ended up being fretting at the Steering Wheel Position Sensor connector. Undid it, cleaned up the pins, redid the connector and zip tied it. The connector wire gets stretched if you have a telescopic steering wheel. There was a TSB on it way back when.
I have a copy of it if you need to see it.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:54 PM
PVS-1959
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Keep us posted if the new battery does not clear the alarms. I had the same scenario, and it ended up being fretting at the Steering Wheel Position Sensor connector. Undid it, cleaned up the pins, redid the connector and zip tied it. The connector wire gets stretched if you have a telescopic steering wheel. There was a TSB on it way back when.
I have a copy of it if you need to see it.
Thanks! I don't think I have a telescoping steering wheel. I have been playing around replacing bulbs with LED's the last couple weeks and testing them out.... so that probably killed an already hurtin' battery.

I've gone out 4 times now and tried to recreate the error messages doing the same driving I was doing earlier and haven't been able to. Dealer did say they would take care of it if it comes back.
The following users liked this post:
4SUMERZ (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 09:12 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 837 Likes on 487 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

4SUMERZ did exactly what I did when I had the same error messages. I unplugged the steering wheel sensor, then cleaned the pins, plugged it back in and then zip tied it tight around the sensor. That did the trick.....haven't had the same codes for more than a year and a half.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:17 PM
PVS-1959
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrKrieger
4SUMERZ did exactly what I did when I had the same error messages. I unplugged the steering wheel sensor, then cleaned the pins, plugged it back in and then zip tied it tight around the sensor. That did the trick.....haven't had the same codes for more than a year and a half.
Do you know if there of a good video or wirite-up anywhere that shows the procedure if it pops up again on me? I'll search youtube....
Old 02-02-2024, 08:37 AM
PVS-1959
Advanced

We had a beautiful day yesterday in the low 50s and I was able to take the Vette out for a good drive. No issues with the warning lights. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:05 PM
Dinodanny
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

It’s still having that problem with mine intermittently although it seems more often than not lately. I want to check the steering wheel position sensor connection and was wondering if someone could save me a little time with removing the under dash panel by providing a photo or a description of its removal and the location of the connector. Thanks much for any help.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:07 PM
PVS-1959
Advanced

Just an update.... after over a month, still no problem. Seems to have definitely been the low battery.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 01:01 PM
MannyS
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Low battery (51%) caused the same errors on my GS last month. New battery resolved everything but a cavity in one of my molars.

Get notified of new replies

To Service active handling and service traction comtol fixed?

Quick Reply: Service active handling and service traction comtol fixed?