C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My RCDLR board

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 07:30 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Default My RCDLR board

Just removed my old RCDLR board which is failing at temps below 45 degrees as discussed on Yeller Z06's "silly door unlocking" thread in this forum. I was hoping t see some screaming obvious soldering defect but at first glance here I'm not. You folks in the know, please let me know if you see something. Dano523 said to give a hard look at the big pins toward the back that attach to the wiring harness. Thanks.

et me know if you spot something.
The following users liked this post:
Aardwolf (01-24-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 08:40 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 153 Posts

I use a large magnifying glass to look at those solder joints. If it's a temperature sensitive connection it's likely a micro crack not visible to the naked eye and sometimes it's best to re-solder them.
FAUEE (03-18-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 09:10 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Bottom row of pins, 3rd pin from the right. Do you see what I see?

Aardwolf (01-24-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 09:15 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Hard to tell from the pictures. As GMJim said inspect with some sort of magnifier.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:26 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Female side of the same connector. Here it is the 3rd from the left, bottom row.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:50 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Carney
I sure do!
Old 01-22-2024, 09:55 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

I hit it with some Deoxit D5 and a toothbrush, both sides. Then a drop of Deoxit D100 in the female side. Put it back together. Now I'll let it chill tonight and see what happens when it's cold. Hard to imagine I could get that lucky.
Aardwolf (01-24-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 10:14 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Originally Posted by GMJim
I use a large magnifying glass to look at those solder joints. If it's a temperature sensitive connection it's likely a micro crack not visible to the naked eye and sometimes it's best to re-solder them.
Yes, I used my big lighted work desk mounted magnifier. I didn't see anything with that but I'm not an expert. Found the pin corrosion just tilting it this way and that to change the light angle.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:19 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Carney
That pin has some corrosion on it. Good find.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:46 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

If I'm reading this connector diagram correctly, they are showing the female side of this connector. So, bottom row third from the left is "P" which is the Trunk Release Switch Signal. The exterior door handle switch signals, left and right are on either side of the pin that had corrosion. So, I'm maybe 30% less hopeful now but we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Aardwolf (01-24-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 07:35 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 206 Posts

So, I was thinking about this issue this past weekend. We (we being me and Dave and perhaps others as time goes on) have issues where the car will occasionally not unlatch the door. And the RCDLR boards are (or are becoming) NLA, and there probably isn't enough demand for someone to manufacture a replacement. So I thought, what about a kludge? Get some kid (or grown-up) who understands how to design and build logic boards, and create one that will accept the plugs that go into the RCDLR board and has outputs for the female equivalent, as a pass-through. Because if I had to, I could get by with a slightly reduced functionality if it replaced, you know, no functions.

Follow me so far? Now this would not allow the door locking system to work either, but I'll bet that most of us garage our cars. This is America, right? LOL, just kidding, j/k to our British and European friends here.

So, this module receives the signal from the door button, and it triggers the signal to the corresponding latch to, you know, unlatch. Now, if this is all 12V, then it's really simple. If it's microvolts, it's a little more complicated, detecting and sending the correct voltage, but it can be done. No worries about a fob, not checking to see if the car is locked or not. Now, the hard part is the window indexing, I don't know how that works... I presume a signal is sent to the door's window motor, but only if it's up all the way. That may be an entirely different logic circuit in the BCM.

I'm just trying to come up with an scenario simpler than unlocking the hatch with the key and using the emergency release cable.

I drove the car last night, it was 35 degrees (car sat outside all day in about 40 degrees) and the car was unlocked. The first push of the door switch did nothing, no light, no window. The second push opened the door. Perhaps it had taken a nap? I last drove the car Sunday (the day before).
brian_k03 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 07:44 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 694 Posts

Not likely to help in your case, but I have gone online in the past to get illustrations of what to look for.

Aardwolf (01-24-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 07:56 AM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Not likely to help in your case, but I have gone online in the past to get illustrations of what to look for.

Yes, that's the same pic I use for reference since I don't do this kind of thing a lot.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:01 AM
Dave Carney
Instructor

In way of update when I got up this morning the car was at 41 degrees. Typically, it would fail at this temperature, but it worked fine after cleaning off the corrosion and treating with Deoxit. However, I want deeper cold than this for testing because I'm too close to the 45 degree temp that was kind of the cutoff/fail point. So I opened all the doors in the garage to let the temp drop some more. It won't get higher than 37 today so we'll see what happens. I'll post up if something changes.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:12 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 694 Posts

Since replacement RCDLRs are one of the C6 parts that has become scarce, it is one of the parts I added to my "in case I ever need it" inventory.

Got a used low mileage pull on eBay from a salvage car parts dealer. 35 bucks.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6ToGo:
Dave Carney (01-23-2024), leadfart (01-24-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 08:23 AM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Since replacement RCDLRs are one of the C6 parts that has become scarce, it is one of the parts I added to my "in case I ever need it" inventory.

Got a used low mileage pull on eBay from a salvage car parts dealer. 35 bucks.
I found and bought a brand new one last week after an extensive online search. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands because that's how long I'm keeping the car. It will go into inventory if I don't need it this week.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:42 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I started having this same issue last year. Luckily I live in AZ where it doesn't get below 40 very often, but it's not fun trying to open the car up when it's that cold out and pitch black outside. Waiting to hear your results.
Dave Carney (01-23-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To My RCDLR board

Old 01-23-2024, 09:54 AM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

Could it be it's not the RCDLR and just a dirty touch pad on the door handle? My '08 would not open the door on the first or second try. Cleaned the pads on the touch pad and haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:54 AM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I started having this same issue last year. Luckily I live in AZ where it doesn't get below 40 very often, but it's not fun trying to open the car up when it's that cold out and pitch black outside. Waiting to hear your results.
RCDLR is down to 36.0 F right now and still functioning properly.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:03 AM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Hotrodz
Could it be it's not the RCDLR and just a dirty touch pad on the door handle? My '08 would not open the door on the first or second try. Cleaned the pads on the touch pad and haven't had a problem since.
No, it can't be. I'll save you the trouble of reading the other thread, it's pretty long.

In fact, before I get more replies with "change the fob battery, check the car battery", etc, here is what I have eliminated with as much certainty as you can possibly have with an intermittent electrical problem:

For my car it is not:
1) Dirty door pad switches
2) Bad fob batteries
3) Bad fobs
4) Bad car battery
5) Door actuators

Last edited by Dave Carney; 01-23-2024 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: My RCDLR board