C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash delaminating repair in Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 08:03 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Default Dash delaminating repair in Toronto?

Hey everyone, I am looking at purchasing a 2011 ZR1 but when seeing it in person I noticed it is experiencing early stages of the dash delaminating. does anyone know of a place in the Toronto area that has experience repairing this? I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to this issue and want to see how big a deal it is to fix. I have already reached out to caravaggio. T

hanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2024, 08:29 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would call upholstery shop in your area and ask them, with picture you are showing is your best bet!
Old 01-03-2024, 11:13 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

There are posts on this forum about this repair. I remember on where one shop removed the windshield to do the repair. The risk is breaking it on removal.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:19 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

From reading various posts on this problem, I get that there are two approaches to making an effective repair. The problem is that the dash pad starts pulling away from the dash because the glue that was used wasn’t applied correctly or evenly. It can pull away from the leading edge of the dash so that it needs to be stretched forward while re-gluing it. The only way to do this properly is either remove the windshield or remove the dash. IIRC @JABCAT might have done the latter.

As far as a shop in the area that might be able to do it, I’ve got no experience with the upholstery side of things, but Google turns up a couple of glass and upholstery shops. For example, Imperial Auto Glass & Upholstery on Dundas St. in Mississauga. They’re closer to me than you, but close enough to you I would think. Other than finding them on Google, I know nothing about them, so don’t take this as a recommendation. Obviously, if you wanted to check them out, see if they’ve actually done this repair before and if they can give you references.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:49 PM
Movie Muscle
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

John is a good start. You want this done right. Which might entail a full recovering of the dash. It will likely appear in more than one area. There is the option of a quick fix with a syringe and some glue that some try ( with varying degrees of success) but again, the dash will likely lift in other areas.

I would also try Greg Vola the owner at Eagle Upholstery in Burlington. He is a car guy himself and has built some top level cars for his own collection and done car interiors interiors for many custom builds, for a very long time. His son has been running things a bit more the last few years but he is still there a lot. Number is 905-335- 9629. Last car I saw him building for himself was an old woody wagon with 20 foot side veneers. Both from the same tree in one constant sheet. He did a lot of custom boat interior work for my company.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:19 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,836 Likes on 4,251 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I did remove the dash to have this repaired. It's not as daunting as it seems. My son (11 at the time) had the dash out in under 2 hours.

I followed the steps outlined here.
http://www.kawal.net/Dash%20Replacement.htm
Old 01-03-2024, 04:07 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I did remove the dash to have this repaired. It's not as daunting as it seems. My son (11 at the time) had the dash out in under 2 hours.

I followed the steps outlined here.
http://www.kawal.net/Dash%20Replacement.htm
Your son removed the entire dash by himself at age 11 in 2 hours? What's his hourly rate?
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 04:09 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Movie Muscle
John is a good start. You want this done right. Which might entail a full recovering of the dash. It will likely appear in more than one area. There is the option of a quick fix with a syringe and some glue that some try ( with varying degrees of success) but again, the dash will likely lift in other areas.

I would also try Greg Vola the owner at Eagle Upholstery in Burlington. He is a car guy himself and has built some top level cars for his own collection and done car interiors interiors for many custom builds, for a very long time. His son has been running things a bit more the last few years but he is still there a lot. Number is 905-335- 9629. Last car I saw him building for himself was an old woody wagon with 20 foot side veneers. Both from the same tree in one constant sheet. He did a lot of custom boat interior work for my company.
I just spoke with John and he said he replaces but will not fix the dash due to leather shrinkage. His price for dash recovering is $2300 usd and I would end up with a much nicer finished product. This is likely the route I would want to go.

I may give the other gentleman a call, I appreciate the suggestion!
Old 01-04-2024, 02:59 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
Your son removed the entire dash by himself at age 11 in 2 hours? What's his hourly rate?
Should've read my son & I. But yes he is very good. He changes my oil, helps mod all our vesicles, etc. I trust him more at 14 now than a shop.

It's very unlikely the leather would shrink to the point it couldn't be reattached correctly. The shop I took mine to (does classic cars and has been featured on tv) charged $385 to reattach the leather on my dash. They said they did several rounds of "conditioning" the leather so that they were able to stretch it and re-attach it.

I think he's just trying to sell you his product.
The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
FAUEE (01-04-2024), VetteVinnie (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:39 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,689 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Should've read my son & I. But yes he is very good. He changes my oil, helps mod all our vesicles, etc. I trust him more at 14 now than a shop.

It's very unlikely the leather would shrink to the point it couldn't be reattached correctly. The shop I took mine to (does classic cars and has been featured on tv) charged $385 to reattach the leather on my dash. They said they did several rounds of "conditioning" the leather so that they were able to stretch it and re-attach it.

I think he's just trying to sell you his product.
Only $385? I'm guessing you replaced the windshield at the same time. I was quoted $2500 to remove the dash and reattach the leather (on my 2010 ZR1). My Grand Sport has very minor separation at the windshield, but not enough to be a problem yet.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:41 AM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Tuner in Tampa

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
I just spoke with John and he said he replaces but will not fix the dash due to leather shrinkage. His price for dash recovering is $2300 usd and I would end up with a much nicer finished product. This is likely the route I would want to go.

I may give the other gentleman a call, I appreciate the suggestion!
Nice price. I wish I can find someone in Tampa I can trust to remove and replace mine.

EMAIL: Tuning@TampaTuning.com
Website >>> https://shop.tampatuning.com/
CHECK OUT MY SHORTS : https://www.youtube.com/@tampatuning/shorts
Street Performance Tune Package starting from $390.00
Instagram: TampaTuning
Corvette Tuner in Tampa
Camaro Tuner in Tampa
Old 01-04-2024, 09:49 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
Only $385? I'm guessing you replaced the windshield at the same time. I was quoted $2500 to remove the dash and reattach the leather (on my 2010 ZR1). My Grand Sport has very minor separation at the windshield, but not enough to be a problem yet.
I didn't touch the windshield. I removed the dash and brought it to the auto upholstery shop. They repaired it, and I re-installed the dash.

Total R&R the dash about 4 hours. Thus why I wouldn't pay someone $2,500 or even $1,000 for that matter to repair the dash. It's just nut, bolts, & screws. Like building legos
The following users liked this post:
VetteVinnie (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 10:03 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,689 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I didn't touch the windshield. I removed the dash and brought it to the auto upholstery shop. They repaired it, and I re-installed the dash.

Total R&R the dash about 4 hours. Thus why I wouldn't pay someone $2,500 or even $1,000 for that matter to repair the dash. It's just nut, bolts, & screws. Like building legos
Coming from someone who loves and has several of the Ultimate Collector Series sets, I hear you. I used to do a lot of that work myself when I had more time than money. These days I have more money than time and would rather not mess with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash delaminating repair in Toronto?

Quick Reply: Dash delaminating repair in Toronto?