C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 427 Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 12:32 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

About mods....I am in the market for a C6 Corvette convertible, so here is one 65 year old shopper's input.

Mods in general are a turn-off unless they can be easily reversed by a non-professional. Certain mods have me quickly ruling out the car. As soon as someone has messed with the engine, I simply move on. If a company like Lingenfelter for example, blueprints the engine, that is okay but not valued. I take nearly a neutral position on a professionally installed, name brand supercharger. It surely adds no value, but I do worry that the car has been driven too hard for too often. As far as cosmetic mods are concerned, they have to be very subtle, and they need to be easily reversible by myself at home. Custom wheels do NOT interest me at all, but if the owner includes the original wheels, then I am okay. One of my biggest turn-offs are aftermarket ground effects and rear spoilers... the car is beyond any possible consideration with extra body parts hanging off it.
The following users liked this post:
RocketRob (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 12:43 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 395 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by cmb396
What sort of mods, in your opinion, take away from the originality?
No doubt you could sell yours for the same or more if you purchased 4 years ago! I can't believe some of the prices nice C5Z's are bringing for well built cars!
For me "fixing" the heads is about it. I wouldn't be interested in a car with major mechanical mods like big cam, supercharger, etc. The stock exhaust manifolds are pretty good so even headers would be a no no for me. My car does have mild to wild and I added Apsis splash guards to protect the paint but that's all.
Old 12-25-2023, 12:52 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 395 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
Mechanically, I find the 2013 427 convertible extremely attractive. Unfortunately, their going prices are far out of reach for me, but their lack of color choices makes me rest easy. Then there is the fuzzy leather steering wheel that doesn't look right to me. It is all superficial, but of importantance to me.

As far as "investment" is concerned, I too wonder.
You shouldn't knock the "fuzzy leather steering wheel" if you haven't tried it. You might not know what your missing. (It's also the door handles, shift ****, boot, parking brake handle and on some the seating surface)
Old 12-25-2023, 05:39 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,485 Likes on 2,820 Posts

I don't think suspension bushings are going to affect the value of a vehicle unless they're just worn out and need replaced.

Headers will depend on the area. If it's a catless car with headers and you have emissions testing, that will definitely impact value. But if it's like, catted headers and you live somewhere without inspections and such anyways, unless it's a realuaeum piece, like an NCRS car that's original down to the tires, I don't see that hurting value. It may harm marketability though, as many people don't want things like that, but upgraded heads will be in that same boat, where the car is very much not stock, and will be on an aftermarket tune, so it's gonna have some.people that aren't interested at all.
Old 12-25-2023, 10:48 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,895 Likes on 4,285 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

About mods....I am in the market for a C6 Corvette convertible, so here is one 65 year old shopper's input.

Mods in general are a turn-off unless they can be easily reversed by a non-professional. Certain mods have me quickly ruling out the car. As soon as someone has messed with the engine, I simply move on. If a company like Lingenfelter for example, blueprints the engine, that is okay but not valued. I take nearly a neutral position on a professionally installed, name brand supercharger. It surely adds no value, but I do worry that the car has been driven too hard for too often. As far as cosmetic mods are concerned, they have to be very subtle, and they need to be easily reversible by myself at home. Custom wheels do NOT interest me at all, but if the owner includes the original wheels, then I am okay. One of my biggest turn-offs are aftermarket ground effects and rear spoilers... the car is beyond any possible consideration with extra body parts hanging off it.
So it sounds like this buyer would only be interested in a stock Base model.

Documented tuner vehicles like Lingenfelter and Callaway do add a pretty decent increase in price/value, with Callaway generally more due to their partnership with GM. The LS7 heads issue can be debated until the end of time. I negotiated $5k off the asking price on my Z06 because it still has the stock heads.

"Fixed" or replaced heads on an LS7 can go either way. If done right by a reputable shop, it would add value for me. If done by Average Joes shop, it would not.

The same goes for other mods like an aftermarket stereo could have been installed well or very poorly. This is why I do all modifications myself & know they're done correctly. I generally get more for my vehicles because they are modded well & I have full documentation.

I doubt anyone would want to revert my interior back to stock, for example.

The 427 vert is a cool car & may retain more of it's value because it was the only convertible C6 with an LS7 and manual transmission. I think it would've been able to retain more value if GM didn't offer the C7 Z06 or ZR1 in convertibles though as they are significantly more powerful.

At the end of the day, find the vehicle you like & you think is worth your money.

cmb396 (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 12:32 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Don't knock those "ground effects" and "rear spoilers". They perform a very real function. Otherwise, the ZR1 wouldn't have these from the factory. This was my 2010 ZR1 (which looks nearly identical to my 2011 Grand Sport now):

cmb396 (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 08:54 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 698 Likes on 445 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

those aren't 'mods'. They're tasteful upgrades.
Nice car
VetteVinnie (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 10:49 AM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 334 Likes on 141 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by JABCAT
So it sounds like this buyer would only be interested in a stock Base model.

Documented tuner vehicles like Lingenfelter and Callaway do add a pretty decent increase in price/value, with Callaway generally more due to their partnership with GM. The LS7 heads issue can be debated until the end of time. I negotiated $5k off the asking price on my Z06 because it still has the stock heads.

"Fixed" or replaced heads on an LS7 can go either way. If done right by a reputable shop, it would add value for me. If done by Average Joes shop, it would not.

The same goes for other mods like an aftermarket stereo could have been installed well or very poorly. This is why I do all modifications myself & know they're done correctly. I generally get more for my vehicles because they are modded well & I have full documentation.

I doubt anyone would want to revert my interior back to stock, for example.

The 427 vert is a cool car & may retain more of it's value because it was the only convertible C6 with an LS7 and manual transmission. I think it would've been able to retain more value if GM didn't offer the C7 Z06 or ZR1 in convertibles though as they are significantly more powerful.

At the end of the day, find the vehicle you like & you think is worth your money.
Agree with the c7 vert options.
Mods don't bother me, nothing I have is stock. This particular car has H/C done by reputable tuner. Not quite the H/C combo I would have gone with, but a good over all set up. My last C6Z was built by RPM, 620+ rwhp. Current C5Z is heavily modded. Currently building LS3 67 RS/SS pro touring camaro that is only stock in body panels.
Starting to second guess this particular car after researching more prices. Seems the seller is wanting market value plus dollar for dollar return on aftermarket stuff.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:00 AM
G6612
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts

I will throw my 2 cents in as I own a 427 Vert and really enjoy the car. I could sell the car currently for more than I paid for it a few years ago and to be honest sometimes I feel the itch to do so as I am always looking for something new that may scratch my current itch. After a few hours though the itch is gone and I will go for a drive and all is good! This car is a toy and I did not purchase it for an investment or for the next guy to enjoy as I have made a decision that I am going to drive this car as much as possible and when it comes time to move on I will take what ever the current value of the car is and be happy with putting that towards my next vehicle of choice. My thoughts on mods I do what I like and if affects the value of the car so be it as long as it puts a smile on my face that is truly all that matters to me. I am not a chrome wheels fan so I

powder coated my wheels and to be honest I did not like the gray calipers as I like them to stand out as you are looking at the car so I had them done in red. I also thought the stock exhaust was a little on the quiet side so I installed a B&B Fusion and I am very pleased with that as well as a matter of fact I just ordered a MGW shifter over the weekend which will be my winter project for the car.

Old 12-26-2023, 03:56 PM
GS-2013
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 126 Posts

If the economy collapses hard, a 2013 427 will make a nice lawn ornament, just like every Corvette, only a very high priced one. A pedal bicycle will be worth more.

Sorry but this is PURE UNIMFORMED Gratuitous Baseless NONSENSE

Here's when a 2013 427 will make a nice lawn ornament and a pedal bicycle will be worth more.

(1) when pigs fly.
(2) when the zombie apocalypse eliminates all mankind, except those who wear tinfoil hats
(3) when you trade in your tinfoil hat and are eaten by a Zombie driving a C5

Although I have nothing to back up my opinions and lack any investment credentials.
I want to warm you all...
Beware the coming collapse of the dollar.
Soon pre-1965 Mercury dimes will be worth more than a share of NVDA stock.
You can trade toilet paper for things that you really need
Stockpile kerosene you can trade it for food
A 2013 427 Vert will be worth less than a pedal bicycle.

Last edited by GS-2013; 12-26-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:40 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Bumping this for some opinions. Keep going back to this car, and have given up hope of getting a C8Z06 anytime soon. Just sold my modded C5Z06 too, so something to replace it, is moreso on my mind.
Asking price is 63k, 9800 miles, and seller seems to be pretty firm. I think it's high for the market, for a stock car. seller seems to be wanting damn near dollar for dollar back on aftermarket. Two lines of thinking here. 1. The mods completely detract from the uniqueness of the only factory 427 vert built by GM. 2. The mods are well done and tasteful, but again, we all know that mods bring about .25c on the dollar, if you're lucky?!
Thoughts?
2013 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 427 w/1SC. Cyber Gray Metallic with Dark Titanium interior.
Upgraded: 7.0-liter LS7 V8 features a dry-sump lubrication system and was fitted with ported American Heritage Performance cylinder heads as well as an American Heritage Performance 116 camshaft kit in 2018. Black 19? BC Forged LE10 wheels wrapped in 275/35 front and 345/30 rear Toyo Proxies R888R tires were installed and ceramic coated in 2021, Halltech air intake and an aftermarket throttle body are also installed, and records provided in the gallery below list the following additional engine modifications: Brian Tooley Racing valve springs with titanium retainers, Ferrea hollow stainless-steel exhaust valves, Hardened valve guides and push rods, ARP hardware, Ported MSD Atomic AirForce intake manifold, Modified fuel rail covers, Stainless Works 2? long-tube headers wrapped in a heat-insulating material, 93-octane performance tune, Gates coolant expansion tank hose, The timing chain was replaced in 2018, and work in 2022 consisted of a coolant system flush and the replacement of the battery. An oil change was carried out in May 2023. 28-lb billet steel flywheel, a Monster Clutches twin-disc clutch kit with a remote speed bleeder, a six-speed manual gearbox, and an RKT Performance differential that was installed in 2021.
Options are: Rear Axle, 3.42 Ratio Limited Slip, 1 SC Preferred Equipment Group, Wheels in Black, Cup Style Lightweight Aluminum. Black Top, Audio System with Navigation, 427 Heritage Package, Battery Protection Package, Silver Calipers, Z06 Carbon Fiber Package, LPO Indoor Cover. Original MSRP of $91,545.

Last edited by cmb396; 01-26-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:46 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 261 Posts

You'd be better off just buying a C8 HTC Stingray - it's a better car overall. I've had both.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:27 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

That 427 has a list of common sense mods. They got the heads fixed, and while they were in there did some smart upgrades. The longtubes are gonna add a lot of power and sound, which to be fair, these kind of lack when stock.

The wheels I could take or leave. 427s didn't come with any special fancy wheels. Most have the cup wheels which were never my favorite. The BC Forged wheels appear to be a relatively expensive wheel, and they're not ugly on that car so that's a win.

I think that's a fairly aggressive price for a really low mile car honestly. I'd argue he hasn't priced the mods in at all, he's got probably $20k in upgrades, and priced it on the low side of what a super low mile, super clean 427 would go for. You could spend that much on a GS, and they're only.going to go up. The question is if you want a row your own gear 7.0L last of it's kind beast, or if you'd rather a newer, softer, more digital experience in a car that has t rounded the depreciation curve.

IMO, if you can afford it, go for it. But if you're worried about the price, don't stretch your budget for a car you can't afford. It's way better to buy a car you can afford than to be car poor with an awesome car. That said, it's also better to get the car you want, as long as you can afford it, even if you think it's a bit more than you want to spend, or more than someone told you that they think it's worth.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:33 AM
Dreamer2
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts

I believe that mods on a LS7 equipped car affect value less than others. Heads usually need to be modded regardless.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:46 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamer2
I believe that mods on a LS7 equipped car affect value less than others. Heads usually need to be modded regardless.
What is the reason for the mod? What if you drove the car stock? Will the engine self-destruct or miles driven? Or is it done to increase horse power?

What about the LS3 engine? Is that one okay off the assembly line? Do model years matter? For example, a 2008 versus a 2013? I ask because I am about to pull the trigger on a 2013 GS.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:53 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

What is the reason for the mod? What if you drove the car stock? Will the engine self-destruct or miles driven? Or is it done to increase horse power?

What about the LS3 engine? Is that one okay off the assembly line? Do model years matter? For example, a 2008 versus a 2013? I ask because I am about to pull the trigger on a 2013 GS.
Super short version...

LS3s are fine. LS7s and LS9s had a manufacturing defect in the heads. Depending on who you ask, the extent of the spread of the defect varies. Since the failure mode is catastrophic when it does happen, people upgrade the heads to avoid it.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:05 AM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by FAUEE
That 427 has a list of common sense mods. They got the heads fixed, and while they were in there did some smart upgrades. The longtubes are gonna add a lot of power and sound, which to be fair, these kind of lack when stock.

The wheels I could take or leave. 427s didn't come with any special fancy wheels. Most have the cup wheels which were never my favorite. The BC Forged wheels appear to be a relatively expensive wheel, and they're not ugly on that car so that's a win.

I think that's a fairly aggressive price for a really low mile car honestly. I'd argue he hasn't priced the mods in at all, he's got probably $20k in upgrades, and priced it on the low side of what a super low mile, super clean 427 would go for. You could spend that much on a GS, and they're only.going to go up. The question is if you want a row your own gear 7.0L last of it's kind beast, or if you'd rather a newer, softer, more digital experience in a car that has t rounded the depreciation curve.

IMO, if you can afford it, go for it. But if you're worried about the price, don't stretch your budget for a car you can't afford. It's way better to buy a car you can afford than to be car poor with an awesome car. That said, it's also better to get the car you want, as long as you can afford it, even if you think it's a bit more than you want to spend, or more than someone told you that they think it's worth.
All fair points. I compared asking prices of 427's and bid prices on BAT, and bid prices are much less which tell me what folks are willing to pay.
Car comes with oem cup wheels. The BC's are pretty sick tho, and not cheap.
For now, i want to row gears as you said. I'll give that up when my ticket gets punched for the C8Z. MY dd is 23 Raptor, and wife has a 22 SQ7, so I get the luxury of comfort, speed, and technology from those two. Just took my son to school this morning in the sq7, and it's always fun for a nice morning rip. 0-60 in 3.7 for a soccer mobile!! lol
Sold my rpm built C6Z 2 years ago, and have missed the ls7 platform ever since. My 480whp C5Z just feels flat out slow, even with 390 gears.
Guess in the end, I just do not want to overpay for something, but over paying seems to be the world we live in anymore, esp, with toys. Thanks for the reply!

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 427 Thoughts?

Old 01-24-2024, 09:08 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,631 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

FAUEE pretty much covered it but I'll add all LS7's 2006-2015 (Camaros included) are susceptible to head issues. Premature valve guide wear and incorrect geometry is the most accepted reasoning, When a valve drops it wipes out the rest of the motor with it. No more LS7s being built and blocks are in limited supply... when their gone their gone. So... 5k to fix the heads or 20k plus to replace the LS7. Alot of folks like to bury their head in the sand and say its not a real issue but if theirs ever been an issue with c6s this is it. That being said once their fixed the right way their usually pretty solid. I have a friend who just bought an 09 z06 and has decided to bury his head in the sand... hoping he gets lucky. Not a gamble I'd be willing to take for the cost of replacing the heads with the correct fix.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:24 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Super short version...

LS3s are fine. LS7s and LS9s had a manufacturing defect in the heads. Depending on who you ask, the extent of the spread of the defect varies. Since the failure mode is catastrophic when it does happen, people upgrade the heads to avoid it.
First I heard of an LS9 head defect. I thought ZR1 is just a strengthened, supercharged LS3 and pretty much bullet proof in OEM form.

For the OP. Buy it, fix the heads if they haven't been, and send it.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:35 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by cmb396
All fair points. I compared asking prices of 427's and bid prices on BAT, and bid prices are much less which tell me what folks are willing to pay.
Car comes with oem cup wheels. The BC's are pretty sick tho, and not cheap.
For now, i want to row gears as you said. I'll give that up when my ticket gets punched for the C8Z. MY dd is 23 Raptor, and wife has a 22 SQ7, so I get the luxury of comfort, speed, and technology from those two. Just took my son to school this morning in the sq7, and it's always fun for a nice morning rip. 0-60 in 3.7 for a soccer mobile!! lol
Sold my rpm built C6Z 2 years ago, and have missed the ls7 platform ever since. My 480whp C5Z just feels flat out slow, even with 390 gears.
Guess in the end, I just do not want to overpay for something, but over paying seems to be the world we live in anymore, esp, with toys. Thanks for the reply!
Don't take BAT as gospel truth. They don't tend to value Corvettes as highly as the regular market does, they value weird European cars more than anything.

I totally understand the fast SUV thing. My daily is a X5 M50i, pretty similar to the SQ7, with a bit more power. Love the thing.

All that said, the experience aspect for these cars is what the draw is nowdays. You're never gonna be able to buy another drop top big cube manual transmission car again. While there will absolutely be things that will be faster that come out in the future, at some point the performance numbers stop mattering as much as the driving experience.

Go drive the car and check it out. You'll know what tondo once you drive it and see it.
cmb396 (01-24-2024)

Quick Reply: 2013 427 Thoughts?