C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max's 2012 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 02:28 PM
RocketRob
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by StayinStock
I run a 5mm spacer out back 20mm up front lowered on coils, no rubbing and almost flush.

Wow. What a bad azz picture!
The following users liked this post:
kite167 (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 09:27 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Budarooski
I agree! I have Canon 50D with the battery grip and several high dollar lens that haven't been out of the camera bag in years! I need to bust them out and take some professional grade photos. I just get lazy (shoot in raw format, copy to computer, edit, save in .jpg...too much time).
You do indeed need to bust them out! I know exactly what you mean, all of my camera images get processed through Lightroom. Over the years I have developed my own preset, once I apply that each image just needs minor additional touch up. Can't wait to see some of yours when you get the camera going.

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
Very nice. Our Nikon D600 is also 24mp. We've had it for close to a decade now, but it still takes excellent photos. It's just not as fast as some of these newer cameras with grabbing action in low light. And, no, not going down into that money pit again. I have two money pits already: a home theater and a Corvette.
I get that. I was shooting on a Canon 5D Mark II (2008) up until I got the R6. The low light/high ISO performance is incredible compared to my old camera! Either way, you should get some photos with the D600!

Originally Posted by RocketRob
Ha! Max, it looks as if you are inspiring a bunch of us to break out the real cameras again. It is soooo easy to be lazy with an iPhone — and I was one who was always telling everyone else, “for the best pictures . . .” . A classic example of do as I say and not as I do. Being from the high desert, I feel that it is hard to beat for beautiful vistas and when you add your Corvette to that, the result can be fantastic. Keep the visual treats coming!
If that's the only thing I accomplish on the forum, I would be proud to say I did! That being said, new phones do an amazing job. I appreciate you checking out my photos along the way, and yes I will keep them coming!
Old 01-17-2024, 09:30 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

Originally Posted by vblacknd
The wheel spacing on this GS is just perfect. What a great look.
I do agree, Nick's car looks great.

Originally Posted by kite167
Those must be 345s? What's the downside to using spacers on these cars?
As far as I know he is on 325s. They are the BFG G-Force Comp 2, they always look pretty fat when mounted. He did also tell me it's 20mm spacers on all wheels.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:33 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

Originally Posted by C6_Prodigy
Looks pretty similar to mine, if not slightly more aggressive, when I was running 20mm spacers. The Michelin tires tend to be more blocky and filled out than the Hankooks that I run. Mine rubbed on the passenger's side. The rear subframe on these cars can apparently be off-center so my driver's side looked perfect and had no rubbing, but the passenger's side stuck out a little more and would rub on big bumps. Shame because it looked so good. I took them off the rear but still have 20mm on the front. No real downside to spacers if they are good quality and installed correctly. Some say they put more wear on the wheel hub bearings.

OP - Loving the photos. Super clean car.
You're spot on, Nick is using 20mm spacers on all corners of the silver Grand Sport. He told me there is no rubbing, but I can't say how he drives it. I agree, it's a good look!

Thank you for the compliment, more photos to come. There's probably gonna be wayyyy more photos than actual "build"... but that's just me.

Originally Posted by StayinStock
I run a 5mm spacer out back 20mm up front lowered on coils, no rubbing and almost flush.
No joke, excellent rolling shot!
Old 01-17-2024, 09:39 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

First wash! It took me a while to get to that point, but the car was pretty clean and I had only quick detailed it once until now. But, we had beautiful weather a couple weeks ago so I finally got to it. The hood, fenders, roof and hatch were pretty rough. They were in need of a good clay bar cleansing. Whatever was on the paint was black. Maybe a previous owner followed too close on a freshly paved road? Who knows. I'm not ready to get down on a full polish yet, so this felt like a productive first wash.

Oil change was up next, so I took the car for a little spin to warm it up. The Target parking garage has pretty good lighting. Cell phone pics, forgive me!!

C5 4me (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 09:49 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

Okay this time I actually used the QuickJacks to do some work! I did the first oil change since taking ownership, as well as changing the transmission oil and brake fluid. I have to say, the QuickJacks are one of the best garage purchases to date!

I'm almost to 30k miles and I would like to change all the fluids by the time that rolls around, considering that they've been in there for 12 years. I just ordered a replacement high pressure power steering line too. I've seen that's a common problem and mine has a decent leak.

After that I spent some time scrubbing the rear diffuser, and gave it a coat of trim dressing. I also spent some time polishing the exhaust tips. Man, it looks great!

The following 3 users liked this post by Maximum95:
Atomic UK (01-29-2024), C5 4me (01-17-2024), kcnel (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 11:39 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Stunning!

Originally Posted by Maximum95
Okay this time I actually used the QuickJacks to do some work! I did the first oil change since taking ownership, as well as changing the transmission oil and brake fluid. I have to say, the QuickJacks are one of the best garage purchases to date!

I'm almost to 30k miles and I would like to change all the fluids by the time that rolls around, considering that they've been in there for 12 years. I just ordered a replacement high pressure power steering line too. I've seen that's a common problem and mine has a decent leak.

After that I spent some time scrubbing the rear diffuser, and gave it a coat of trim dressing. I also spent some time polishing the exhaust tips. Man, it looks great!

I Really need to give my GrandSport some rear end love like you did!
Old 01-18-2024, 03:04 PM
DaveInColumbus
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Great pic. The S2000 is one of the greatest roadsters ever made, and if you've never driven one on something really twisty like Tail of the Dragon, you're missing out. I currently own a Z06 and the S2000 is every bit as thrilling to drive, and more visceral, when the roads gets curvy.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:15 AM
Maximum95
Advanced

Originally Posted by C5 4me
I Really need to give my GrandSport some rear end love like you did!
Yes you do be sure to share some photos when you do!

Originally Posted by DaveInColumbus
Great pic. The S2000 is one of the greatest roadsters ever made, and if you've never driven one on something really twisty like Tail of the Dragon, you're missing out. I currently own a Z06 and the S2000 is every bit as thrilling to drive, and more visceral, when the roads gets curvy.
I did get to drive that S2000 quite a bit, but not as much as I would have liked to. As far as small, 4 cylinder roadsters go, it's probably the best of them. The power level was great!
Old 01-29-2024, 11:19 AM
Maximum95
Advanced

I had a bobsmachine.com catch can left over from the part out on my last car, and I really wanted to put it to good use. So, I took some time to figure out a setup for the LS3. A trip to the local speed shop for some fittings and heat shield, and this is the result.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:37 AM
Maximum95
Advanced

I had been waiting for an opportunity to take the Corvette to the road course. So, earlier this month I attended a practice session for the time attack. I had been to our road course many times before, but never in a Corvette. It was a great opportunity to get familiar with the limits of the car.

And, what an amazing car it is! It took a couple traction control engagements and tire pressure adjustments to get comfortable, but I had an amazing time. Several people hopped in for ride alongs, and they loved the Corvette too. I didn't take too many photos myself, but some other folks were kind enough to send me some photos of the GS on track.

Here is an aerial of Suika Circuit in Albuquerque. This is from last year, the track has a had a ton of work put in recently, and has also been resurfaced.

The following 2 users liked this post by Maximum95:
Atomic UK (01-29-2024), lilcuda (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 11:53 AM
Maximum95
Advanced

Another day... another photo op! There was a little brake dust on the wheels after the track. So after a quick wheel cleaning and some tire shine, she's ready to strike a pose.

Kruegs (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 11:54 AM
Maximum95
Advanced

And some more...

Atomic UK (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 12:03 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

So, I originally started shopping for Quickjacks for the Corvette. However, in my search it was recommended by a friend that I go for the 7k model. Well, I'm glad I did. I had to service our 2012 Tahoe, so it was time to give it a shot on the Quickjacks. So for anyone interested, here is our 2012 Tahoe PPV on the 7000TL Quickjacks. They lifted it with ease!

Old 01-29-2024, 12:22 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

My next maintenance/repair item was the high pressure power steering line. Browsing through the forum, it seems to be a common C6 issue. While I was in there, I did a new air filter and both belts. Here is a photo of the new & old line.

The old one was held to the steering rack with a plastic clip. The new one (GM 15903240) has a metal bracket that installs on the front subframe with a bolt (GM 11609989). Let's see how long this one lasts!

After taking the car to the track, the right side tires were worn significantly greater than the left. There are 10 left turns and 4 right turns. There's another practice session in a couple weeks, so I swapped tires side to side.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

I added a cabin air filter (ACD CF1131C) to my shopping list when I was getting the power steering parts. Well, when I pulled the previous one it was just shoved in there! If you have not replaced the cabin air filter on a C6, keep in mind that it curves up when installed. You can see in my second photo. I found it was necessary to unhook the ventilation lines from the oil tank, and give the cabin filter a little pre-bending to make it slide in easily.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:31 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

Since I had several parts removed from the engine bay, I took the opportunity to clean all of the plastics and give them some shine.

Get notified of new replies

To Max's 2012 Grand Sport

Old 01-29-2024, 12:36 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

I stopped at our local cars & coffee this weekend. I met some Corvette folks, and even spotted another Crystal Red Grand Sport. This one is a 2011 3LT, manual transmission with a Callaway supercharger. Laziness prevailed so I only snapped a cell phone pic.

Atomic UK (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 12:41 PM
Maximum95
Advanced

I had to service the Mustang this weekend. According to my wife, I just look for excuses to put cars on the Quickjacks I mean... how could I resist? Anyway, I'm just very happy with the fact that they've worked very well on all of our cars so far. I have no doubt they will lift the '97 Town Car with ease also. Really the last "test" will be lifting the hearse, I'll be sure to share a photo of that when the time comes.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:42 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 175 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Maximum95
I had been waiting for an opportunity to take the Corvette to the road course. So, earlier this month I attended a practice session for the time attack. I had been to our road course many times before, but never in a Corvette. It was a great opportunity to get familiar with the limits of the car.

And, what an amazing car it is! It took a couple traction control engagements and tire pressure adjustments to get comfortable, but I had an amazing time. Several people hopped in for ride alongs, and they loved the Corvette too. I didn't take too many photos myself, but some other folks were kind enough to send me some photos of the GS on track.

Here is an aerial of Suika Circuit in Albuquerque. This is from last year, the track has a had a ton of work put in recently, and has also been resurfaced.

Nice! Glad to see you're not afraid to get your Vette out on track! They really are incredible machines. I did two track days last fall and plan to get a few more in this year.

Quick Reply: Max's 2012 Grand Sport