C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 or Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 12:25 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,856 Likes on 4,263 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I've had Continental Extreme Contact Sports on my Z06 & now have Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP. Essentially zero difference in handling, noise, or comfort.

Last month I put Michelin Pilot Sport All-season 4 non-rft on my BMW 330e that previously had Pirelli PZero rfts. Again, no noticeable difference in comfort or noise. I also just put a set of Pilot All-season 4 on my wife's BMW X3MC (255/40/21 front & 295/35/21 rear). These are much quieter and more comfortable riding than the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZPs that were on there (same as my Z06).

My new M2 came with Michelin PS4S which are not the same as the PSAS4 - though many confuse the two.

I recommend Discount Tire Direct and having them shipped to the Discount Tire near you. If you get the certificates, they're a good bit cheaper from DTD vs DT.

DT also owns Tire Rack now, so check prices through TR as well. They include free road hazard replacement.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:25 AM
visionary
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi there,
I put the new Michelin Sport All Season ZP run flats on my 2010 GS. Best tire I have ever had. Smooth ride and it is a run flat. They are a couple of hundred bucks more but in my opinion worth it.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:57 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I'm running Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 on my C6 and Michelin Pilot Super all season on my C7. I prefer the Continental's. In dry warm weather the tires are a toss up, and both are great. In cold (below 40 degrees) or in wet weather the Continental's are a much better tire. I live in Utah so a tire that is also good in the cold is important. I'm probably one of the few that has actually run both tires, so there is that. Both are a great tire and you will love either. Getting rid of the Run-Craps is the biggest improvement you can make. And a picture for attention 🏁

The following users liked this post:
2500 hd (12-26-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 11:54 AM
leebay
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
I'm running Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 on my C6 and Michelin Pilot Super all season on my C7. I prefer the Continental's. In dry warm weather the tires are a toss up, and both are great. In cold (below 40 degrees) or in wet weather the Continental's are a much better tire. I live in Utah so a tire that is also good in the cold is important. I'm probably one of the few that has actually run both tires, so there is that. Both are a great tire and you will love either. Getting rid of the Run-Craps is the biggest improvement you can make. And a picture for attention 🏁
Iceaxe, long time no see & glad to see a post from you. I also knew we would get a attention pic. 😊 I'll be needing new tires soon on my GS and will go with non fun flats, considering Contes, Hankook, Toyo, Yokohama
Old 12-14-2023, 09:58 AM
ominousone
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

If you look long enough, there is a Corvette in that pic.
The following users liked this post:
leebay (12-14-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 11:13 AM
1pt4brd
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Michelin all weather run flats
Old 12-16-2023, 08:00 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Dzv69
The Continentals have a better tread wear rating , the Michelins are a bit heavier, if these parameters are any concern:

UNIFORM TIRE QUALITY GRADE STANDARDS
  • MICHELIN: 300 AA A
  • CONTINENTAL: 560 AA A

TIRE WEIGHT
  • MICHELIN: F 23 lbs R 28 lbs
  • CONTINENTAL: F 22 lbs R 26 lbs
The UTQG rating on the Michelin is actually 540, not 300. I've been told by the guys at Tire Rack that you really shouldn't compare the UTQG numbers between different brands, because apparently they all use different ways to measure it. So much for being a Uniform measurement...

There is also a real good write up on both tires here that you should probably go read if you're trying to decide which to get. They actually rated the Continental higher than the Michelin by a hair.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=280

Summary

More often than not, when we test four top-tier competitors, the results are very close. While that is the case here, it could be argued the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus distinguishes itself somewhat. With less than a tenth of a point separating the other three tires' overall scores, the Continental's three- to four-tenths gap on the group is at least worth noting. It delivers a composed, quiet experience on the road with responsive and accurate steering. Wet traction is top-notch and competitive with the best in Ultra High Performance All-Season, as is its performance in the snow and on ice. It feels confident and athletic when pushed in the dry, and our team's only small complaint is the somewhat synthetic-feeling steering. The upgrades Vredestein made to their Hypertrac All Season make it a viable alternative to some of the biggest names in the category. With surprisingly good ride and noise comfort on the road, it would be a great choice for drivers with a long commute. Wet traction is mid-pack in this star-studded group, but the well-rounded, controllable behavior would be appreciated on the road. Similarly, its capabilities in the snow and on the ice are right in the mix with the top-tier competition in this test. While its dry track prowess isn't a standout feature, it's sporty enough to feel athletic on the road, and it leads our test in lateral traction on the skid pad. The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 performs at a high level across the board, delivering objective traction figures that are close to the best in both the dry and the wet and that lead our light snow testing. The steering and light handling feel great on the street or the track, though our team would like some additional refinement in the form of improved ride quality and a reduction in overall tread noise, particularly over coarse surfaces. Bridgestone's Potenza RE980AS+ is a solid all-around option. The "+" version's updated compound has made a monumental improvement in light snow traction, propelling the new tire to parity with the best in the category. The steering feels crisp and alert on the street, with quick reflexes and accurate response to inputs. The ride is quite firm, though impacts are succinct and handled with poise. Road noise consists of some perceptible, but minor tones along with impact noise that is only slightly more noticeable than the test leaders. While the wet traction is good overall, and the handling and balance are commendable when driven within the tire's limits, it's undeniable the Potenza RE980AS+ has less grip than the other tires here. Similarly, it's a small step behind in the dry, as well, trailing just a touch objectively and not feeling quite as adept at hustling around our track as the best of the group.

Last edited by CSixDude; 12-16-2023 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:53 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by surburban99
First, sorry for another tire tread

I need tires for my '08 base coupe, and torn between the Michelin PS AS 4 or the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus. Going to try non run flats this time. I'm looking for ride comfort and low noise levels, I do not track the car. There is a Discount Tire in my area that carries both brands.

If you have either of these tires on your C6 please give me your opinions and thoughts. The current tires (Firestone Run Flats) have been on for 10 years and it is time.

Thanks!!
I BOUGHT after my really old runflat set finally blew a tire....... michelin PS AS 4
Old 12-25-2023, 12:37 PM
1 MEAN66
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Just type what you asked into the internet, and you will get a more detailed answer from people more "in the know". Most of what is read is the Connie's have an edge in wet traction and tire life. In fact, they have an advantage in snow and ice. But what you read is info base on the tires when used on any "all around" vehicle, NOT on a "three season" Vette. For those reasons I am going with the Connies this spring when ours hits the roads again. My reasons: wet traction advantage, if our skill level gets us into trouble, it will probably happen in the wet, at over a $1000 for four tires the 50K tire life makes it also a better choice for us. And third I like most of on this site do not have the skill to push any Corvette anywhere near its limits in try traction NOR do we drive like that anyway. Not a fan of any Michelins tires I have owned tire life! Whether on any of our cars, bikes, or trucks.
PS there are a few Extreme contact tires, But I like the DWS06, for above reasons.

Last edited by 1 MEAN66; 12-25-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-25-2023, 01:06 PM
grpweld
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

I have extremes on the front 265/35-18 PS4 on rear 315/30-19. Very comparable tires! Both are great
Old 12-25-2023, 01:12 PM
2500 hd
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 232 Posts
St. Jude Donor ‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've got the Conti's. I like them.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:01 AM
1 MEAN66
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dzv69
The Continentals have a better tread wear rating , the Michelins are a bit heavier, if these parameters are any concern:

UNIFORM TIRE QUALITY GRADE STANDARDS
  • MICHELIN: 300 AA A
  • CONTINENTAL: 560 AA A

TIRE WEIGHT
  • MICHELIN: F 23 lbs R 28 lbs
  • CONTINENTAL: F 22 lbs R 26 lbs
Remember Quality Grade Standards are numbers applied to a tire by the manufacture of that tires own tests. And it is not even one tire vs another, simply a tire rate , again by the manufacture, based on THEIR reference tire So checking that number on one brands vs another does not mean the same. But for instance if Goodyear rated one tof their tires at 350 and another at 540 the 540 Should go further But a hot rocks (firestone) vs goodyear ? who knows.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 or Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus